Author Topic: Possible new releases in 1/72  (Read 5532 times)

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
Possible new releases in 1/72
« on: 17 Dec , 2010, 13:39 »
There has been some rumors in Finnish scale model forum considering about upcoming U-boats in 1/72 scale...
Yes, we all know there has been talking about type IX and XXI in some forums but since the knowledge in U-boat
models here in Finland is quite limited i had to bring the question up here!

For now i have only heard about wishes of different boats wanted by forum members but is there any real
evidence or facts?  Both of these  mentioned boats could be easily been measured/inspected for modeling!

I am a bit pissed off about this since some people just answer "wait and see" with a smile when i ask some facts...
Or maybe pissed is a wrong word but i really liked to know...

-Anakin-

bracco_n

Re: Possible new releases in 1/72
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec , 2010, 15:31 »
Well I'd really like to see Revell releasing a nice type IX wether it is in 1/144 or 1/72

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #2 on: 04 Jan , 2011, 02:58 »
in german forums there aren't even rumours...................

trumpeter should blow up their Typ XXIII to 1/72, would be a great improvement over special navy and alanger!
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #3 on: 05 Jan , 2011, 00:06 »
A Type IX in 1/72 scale would be awesome, and I think would sell as well as the two Type VIIs from Revell.  Hopefully someone in the industry will see their way forward and produce one.

Ernest   

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #4 on: 05 Jan , 2011, 04:49 »
better Typ XXI.......please Revell, blow up Your "Wilhelm Bauer"!!
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
« Reply #5 on: 06 May , 2011, 11:19 »
I e-mailed Revell Germany about a year ago about U-Boats... About Wilhelm Bauer or XXI and type 205.  Both could be easily done... The answer was that they are not to be on production list at the moment.  I guess the markets for u-boat models are too small compared to tanks and planes so they are not going to take any risk! Is it really so? Are we "Submarine- nuts" people so outnumbered? Yes, there are many u-boats in 1/700 to 1/144 scale but in that so wanted 1/72 scale is so limited... At the moment i am really afraid about the might upcoming CV-707 Vesikko release date.

-Anakin-

Plasticfanatic

« Reply #6 on: 10 May , 2011, 08:30 »
Unfortunately the bigest problem in biger scales is the cost, not only of molds,plastic but reasearch,options for other versions using the same molds with minor modifications to maximize the initial investment....AND....the size,shipping and readyness of the retailers to buy them and have them in stock...and after the disaster of the 1/72 scale Japanese submarine offering that had great expectations...but meet equaly big deception  with scale modelers when it finaly arrived only proved that cutting corners in actual historical research of the real thing that will be made in to a scale model,detail and facts will no longer be seen with resignation and open wallets by the modeling community.

My local hobby shop...that no longer exist!!....had to order a minimum of two 1/72 type VIIC to cover the shipping charge as well as the quota by his distributor....I got one, the other sat at the shelf for about three months. When the "Atlantic Version" came out and must say the one I REALLY wanted...my hobby store could not special order just one for me from his distributor...minimum 3 this time around!!! Try to buy it myself at e-bay and hobby mail order companys....but again shipping charge was all of the time MORE that the cost of the model itself. The fact that the big chain stores/toy stores do not carry model kits anymore....or the full range for that matter makes things more dificult for us.

I really give  Revell a BIG thank you for giving us the 1/72 scale u-boats, it's quite impresive model built out of the box....and truly museum pieces when aftermarket detail pieces are used, as demostrated by Rokket U-boat model tour of force detailing and rework, as well as other superb models displayed in this forum by fellow modelers.

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
« Reply #7 on: 10 May , 2011, 09:01 »
You got a good point there... Of course the costs are higher in bigger scales but the research job isn

swanseadive

« Reply #8 on: 17 May , 2011, 04:51 »
Hi mariners,
just signed up here and started my SubVII.

I would like to see a Type IX by Revell or Navy Special too.

During my research I found that http://combatmodels.us/ is the only supplier for this type.
Does anybody know about the quality? I couldn't find any pics?

Regards CK

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
« Reply #9 on: 17 May , 2011, 08:22 »
Hi and welcome!   :)

The Combat models U-boats are vacuform models so they are out of small details. Just like Amati VIIB which is kind of resine hull with PE parts but the hull does not have any rivets or welding seams. I have seen it in my own hands and now the hull is a toy of my son! "For professionals only"  ;D   

If you want different U-boats, you can build many different VIIC and /41 boats and with conversion sets VIID and maybe VIIF.

-Anakin-