Author Topic: [WIP] Double Type XXIII build (ICM and Trumpeter, both 1/144)  (Read 58402 times)

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Conus - interesting, the Yanks did the same, started adding more metal Teak must have been quite rare! It's interesting to see the "Best" version when time and resources were a-plenty, and then the "make do version".
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline conus00

• Lt Cdr
first: love the "belly up"- picture................especially when talking about u- boats :D
second: the "crane photo" leaves me with the impression that U- 2360 did't have that wooden catwalk. wasn't it there just on early boats?
third: don't know when my plans will reach You (christmas overwork for the mail service, CIA wondering what these plans are about and such), but You should wait for them when it comes to CT- detailling ;D

all the best

ralf

The pun was totally intended. :D

In regards of catwalk, I decided to not put one on the kit.
Also, big thanks for the plans, Ralf. I will need them for my Type XXIII in 72nd scale. The kit is backordered and is supposed to arrive either this or next week.
On the workbench:
Trumpeter 1/144 Type XXIII U-boat
ICM 1/144 Type IIb U-boat
ICM 1/144 Type XXIII U-boat
Revell 1/144 Type VIID U-boat
Minicraft 1/700 USS Ticonderoga CG-47
Collecting materials:
(scratchbuild) 1/144 Type XVII-B Walther U-bo

Offline conus00

• Lt Cdr
Majority of building on U-2360 is finished (just a small stuff which will be added after painting: screw, RDF loop, schnorchel, flagpoles, antennas and periscope). I have decided to go with the original open CT on the kit. I'm still not sure if I got the closed one right, plus I'm missing all the interior pieces for it anyway and it would be too much scratchbuilding. Anyway, the closed CT will not get thrown away. I will either buy another Trumpeter kit or turn it into small "diving" diorama.
I just bought on Ebay U-boot Im Focus (issues 2-6) so maybe I use the closed CT to build U-2330. (According to pictures it had some interesting CT variation)

The models are ready for pre-shading (you can see where I marked the lines with pencil on the U-Hai, the ICM's kit lacks the detail on hull and CT)

« Last Edit: 21 Dec , 2010, 11:26 by conus00 »
On the workbench:
Collecting materials:

bracco_n

Very good work Conus!

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
very impressive variations! like the shape of the opening on the semi closed bridge!! still thinking about how far the rear end of the CT- cover should go.............

sincerely

ralf

edit:

it's all Your fault ;D..........just ordered the trumpeter 1/144 kit and those preiser figures!
maybe it will be easier for me to start the U-2360 conversion with the smaller kit? maybe a little "what if" with the bridge completely closed and some scuttles in front?
« Last Edit: 22 Dec , 2010, 03:45 by rabapla »
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline conus00

• Lt Cdr
Sorry to hear that, Ralf  ;D ;D ;D Sometimes I happen to have bad influence on people...
Which kit did you get #5907 or #5908? I'm very curious as what is the difference between those two?
http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t29190.html

Mine was #5907
« Last Edit: 22 Dec , 2010, 15:34 by conus00 »
On the workbench:
Collecting materials:

Offline conus00

• Lt Cdr
Just a quick update:
U-2360 is pre-shaded (it seems lil' too harsh in the pictures but I'm fairly new to airbrushing - bought my Paasche only about a week ago) and I just found out that my yellow Humbrol dried out so I have to wait to get some more (for the yellow training stripes) before I proceed. Finished all "small" stuff: propeller (thinned the blades with exacto), schnorchel and RDF loop. The last two weren't very satisfactory OOB so I scratched the loop (using only the original pole) and made modifications to the schnorchel to make it look little bit closer to this:

Here's the result:

U-Hai is painted (still have to do the bottom of the hull) and  I have started on filling all the floodholes with flat black to simulate "openings". The job is very tedious...
I have used this technique on small holes on my 1/144 Type XXI and the results are satisfactory.
These pictures are taken only after one touch-up:

TBC...
On the workbench:
Collecting materials:

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
Which kit did you get #5907 or #5908? I'm very curious as what is the difference between those two?
http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t29190.html

Mine was #5907

just ordered it, it will be 5908...............
googled "trumpeter Typ XXIII 144 review" and found pictures of the box' contents for both, 5907 and 5908: seem to be a different instructions: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10088197

and:
parts 5 and 6,the CT for the experimental boat seems to be different:
the forward edge of all three variants is straight now (5908)  http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10088197z3/70/3
the upper and front curve for the completely covered bridge project (which should have a plexi glass cover anyway!!!!) is missing now!!!!!!!!
 http://www.modellmarine.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2032%3Atrumpeter-dkm-type-xiii-u-boat-1144&catid=69&Itemid=1

btw:
I still can't understand how somebody could have build the experimental (wrong) completely closed bridge with the early release (5907): one simply couldn't glue the CT- cover on the CT with the curved front, in 5908 the upper edge is directly above the position light cut out.......just compare the pictures of the box content above.

and
could somebody please tell me the difference between part 18 and 20?

merry christmas to all of You from snowy germany!
« Last Edit: 23 Dec , 2010, 03:41 by rabapla »
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline Pepper-mint

• Commander
  • U-1299
Hi conus00

Where did you get the info for those 2 "windows" ? Looks strange to me...
On the W.bench :
Books, pics, drawings, styrene, dreams and :

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
the 2 bundesmarine- boats "hecht" and "hai" had two position lights on both sides.

sincerely

Ralf
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline conus00

• Lt Cdr
Hi conus00

Where did you get the info for those 2 "windows" ? Looks strange to me...

It does look strange, I agree. Here:

Also, Merry Christmas to you Ralf and all forum members from sunny Florida (it's 20C and sunny outside) :D

Ralf, does it anywhere on the box (or in the instructions) say which numbers are these boats suppose to represent?:

Neither one of all three variations seem to be correct to me... The bottom one comes close to U-2330.
« Last Edit: 23 Dec , 2010, 14:58 by conus00 »
On the workbench:
Collecting materials:

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Great idea to have the variation, this is a really nice project.

Oh, notice the oil canning (bent metal between frames and ribs) of the fairwater ("conning tower"/sail?
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Pepper-mint

• Commander
  • U-1299
Thank you C. and Ralf.
After war U-boats, never noticed the 2 position lights per side (and i have these pics !!!)... I think this is a "short time configuration", the "HAI" and the "HECHT"'s CTs were completely rebuild.

Conus00, as far as i know this is the typ XXIII "PROJECT" kit, during the designing period no numbers were attributed, "Project" was her name. And after some research and reading, at least 2 of the 3 represented profiles are inaccurate.
But as it was a development boat, everything's possible or impossible... This is why i built this kit in a "multi-variation way" ; i took the C tower and built the A closed bridge and the hull without the front hydroplanes...
The same story for the "Balkonger
« Last Edit: 27 Dec , 2010, 01:36 by Pepper-mint »
On the W.bench :

Offline Pepper-mint

• Commander
  • U-1299
Hi,

Bridge drawings. the plans are dated : 1 december 1943, Turmumbau, the "Endg
On the W.bench :

Offline conus00

• Lt Cdr
This is great reference. Can't wait for my Special Navy XXIII to arrive. Still on backorder...  >:(

In the meantime I have to finish my U-2360 and the U-Hai diorama.
On the workbench:
Collecting materials: