Author Topic: [WIP] Double Type XXIII build (ICM and Trumpeter, both 1/144)  (Read 56735 times)

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
pepper-mint posted the picture, not me.............. :)

I have all the abovementioned sources for the typ XXIII, just was to lazy to look through, so all my remarks came out of my memory.
If You like to look at may interpretation of a typ XXIII boat, You may have a look at the gallery (old resin 1/72 kit)

regarding the CT:
I would have preferred the straight turret front, but that's my feeling. to the inside: below the antenna- holder on both side were two lockers, there dimensions just following the extend of those antenna- bases.
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline Pepper-mint

• Commander
  • U-1299
Hi,

Yes it's me, it's a plan from "Vom Original zum Modell uboottyp XXIII", nov. 1943...

In the book shown below"U-boottyp XXIII" you have a lot of techn. description, very good book...

Conus keep posting the pics  ;D

Cheers,
Pepper

On the W.bench :
Books, pics, drawings, styrene, dreams and :

Offline conus00

• Lt Cdr
Sorry guys, got your posts mixed up.

Pepper-mint I have the book (except my cover looks like this)

Unfortunately it's in German and my German is sketchy at the best... :D

rapabla, would you mind posting link to your BLOG (if you have one)?
I can (partially) see the two lockers on one side of the interior of the CT in this picture:

Were there the same on the other side? Also what about further towards the bow?
This is the only picture of the interior of the CT of Type XXIII I have....

Update and some pics coming up soon.
« Last Edit: 06 Dec , 2010, 10:05 by conus00 »
On the workbench:
Trumpeter 1/144 Type XXIII U-boat
ICM 1/144 Type IIb U-boat
ICM 1/144 Type XXIII U-boat
Revell 1/144 Type VIID U-boat
Minicraft 1/700 USS Ticonderoga CG-47
Collecting materials:
(scratchbuild) 1/144 Type XVII-B Walther U-bo

Offline Pepper-mint

• Commander
  • U-1299
Conus it's not the same book, the other one is in german and it's talking about the whole type XXIII story ; not a lot of pics and only a few
drawings but very interesting and useful.

Herr E.  R
On the W.bench :

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
sorry, I don't have a BLOG............my boat is in the gallery here http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=31

this evening I'll have a look at my literature regarding the typ XXIII (it's 0924 am now) to have a look where the sketches are, which show the lockers etc. I needed those information too when I had to upgrade my old 1/72 resin kit. have to look at the special navy kit too..............can't find jan klarbaeks aka Mr.Mox building blog any more...........
If You have questions regarding translation, I'll be glad to help..................but You'll need some interpretation with my english, I'm afraid   :)

so, I'll look at the sketches..........

I have a question myself: what I found confusing is the arrangement of antennas: how many were on a wartime Typ XXIII, I think special navy calls out for 4, that excellent photo conus posted on model shipwrights (the shot of the conning tower from above with the british officer after capitulation) shows 2 antennas (not talking about the flagpoles!).

to be precise and to correct myself: just follow the inner contur of the position light housings for the lockers, the antenna holders are further back with just visible antenna- stuff below.
at the front is a step, on top the arrangement for the
« Last Edit: 07 Dec , 2010, 08:06 by rabapla »
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline Pepper-mint

• Commander
  • U-1299
Hi,

I have this one by C.WAUCHOP on HyperScale : http://hsfeatures.com/features04/uboattypexxiiicw_1.htm

Enjoy...
On the W.bench :

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
excellent paint job (except for that black cheat line, which is wrong, and those white bands)
but the interior is out of the box, with the abovementioned problems.

we'll all have to look at our photos of original boats.................... ;)

and conusOO posted some pretty good examples!!

sincerely

ralf
« Last Edit: 07 Dec , 2010, 06:45 by rabapla »
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
gentlemen,

as promised I've looked through my literature (all U-Boot in Focus, "U-Boottyp XIII" and "Vom Original zum Modell Uboottyp XXIII" by R
« Last Edit: 09 Dec , 2010, 00:49 by rabapla »
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline conus00

• Lt Cdr
Ralf,
Do yo have a scanner?
It would be great help for me if you could scan the pictures you mentioned in your above post (the ones from U-boot Im Focus publications)
Thanks!
On the workbench:
Collecting materials:

Offline conus00

• Lt Cdr
Gentlemen,
here is the promised update. They say that picture is worth of thousand words, so just few quick points:
-the "water" is just painted blue square (far from finished) to give me an idea of the overall composition
-all the weathering (on the dio and on the CT) looks waaaaay to sharp on the pictures. On the model is really subtle and life-like (I hate taking close-ups with flash)
-the rowing boat is scratchbuild and I created it because the 'water' part of diorama looked too empty
-the interior of the U-2360 CT is partially reference, partially educated guesswork

Now the pics. CT detailed, painted, washed and weathered ready to be glued together

And the diorama progress:

TBC...
On the workbench:
Collecting materials:

TRM

Great job!  Looking forward to your next update! ;D

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
I realy like that dockyard wall!!!
for additional items like crates or such You may look at modelrailway stuff.

I thought that You had U-Boot in Fokus, because You've posted pictures of those? the most interesting would be the CT plan view.......
I will see what I can do, but I can't promise so please don't be upset.........to show my time problem: my actual build is a 1/48 antares schnellbomber I (me 262 what if), lasting for over 1 year now. so I apologize before......

sincerely

ralf
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline conus00

• Lt Cdr
Thanks, Ralf.
I have already ordered some bags/boxes set from Preiser (in N-scale, 1:160 is pretty close to 1:144).
Also, the diorama is U-Hai in late 50s so (as you pointed out in my other BLOG) I cannot use Opel Blitz as Bundesmarine used M.A.N. or Unimag trucks.

To answer your other question: I do not own any of the U-boot Im Focus magazines. The pictures I posted came from my personal archive (mostly found on the internet) so I would appreciate any scans you can make for me. I will definitely use them for my Type XXIII 1:72 build. The kit is scheduled for tomorrow's Fedex delivery.
So take your time, no rush.
Thanks!

-LJ
« Last Edit: 10 Dec , 2010, 04:44 by conus00 »
On the workbench:
Collecting materials:

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
Ah, I see!!

Yes, for 1/72 additional info will be important because You see so much more in the CT.

personally I always dreamed of displaying my 72 typ XXIII hanging from a crane, but CMK/maritime line crane (see http://www.artitec-deutschland.de/7270.htm) is not 2000ton but 2 ton, which is slightly different  :( so it will be waterline again.............someday.

for 1/144 take a look at those 1/160 (N- scale) products:
http://www.artitec-deutschland.de/n20.htm
http://www.artitec-deutschland.de/n60.htm
http://www.artitec-deutschland.de/n10.htm

this are the guys who do the masters for CMKs maritime line: top notch resin!!

sincerely

ralf

« Last Edit: 10 Dec , 2010, 00:41 by rabapla »
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
new photo (at least to me):

http://www.dubm.de/klasse_240.html
Sincerely

Ralf