Author Topic: Rear torpedo section VII / 3D model / 1/72  (Read 31410 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Rear torpedo section VII / 3D model /
« Reply #90 on: 08 May , 2012, 23:34 »
Have you decided to keep the Junker? In that case the aft part of it, containing stage 3 & 4, is tapering towards a smaller diameter at the end. This migth give you a bit more space.
Tore
« Last Edit: 09 May , 2012, 09:33 by tore »

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #91 on: 09 May , 2012, 03:50 »
Hi Marko

but im not sure how should i make the cooling fans for E-motors, i have no photos, and im not sure how large they were (maybe again possible only with photo etching to create fan blades? - if those were small then its virtually impossible, unless if id made fan blades from thin metal myself, and only fan housings, but then again i would need photos of those.

I mean this part:

See also Simon's drawing:
http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?topic=106.msg10552#msg10552

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #92 on: 09 May , 2012, 04:03 »
Oh those are cooling fans, then it should not pose much of problem, will get right on them. Is dive plane mechanism more or less OK? I will have to seriously modify the compressor, since i noticed as Tore said, that i forgot tapering it..

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #93 on: 09 May , 2012, 04:05 »
Is dive plane mechanism more or less OK?
Seems to be ok. Could you provide another view (toward aft, a little closer to center line)?

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #94 on: 09 May , 2012, 09:03 »
Sure Maciek, here it is, along with tapered compressor aft section:
 (few layers disabled in order not to obscure view)

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #95 on: 09 May , 2012, 11:02 »
Well you have got a lot of stuff in. One interesting item is not in though, it`s what the Germans called Pillewerfer. It was mostly the torpedopeople operating this device so I don`t know too much about it. The device was used for ejecting various canisters while submerged. One of the canisters contained magnesium (I believe) pellets which in contact with seawater created a big "bouble" making an object for false Asdic contact, another type made an oilslick. The idea was to fool the enemy surfacechaser. We used it quite frequently during excersises shooting ligth rockets indicating torpedofiring. The size of the canisters were approximately 10-12 cm diameter and the placing of the ejector was stb. side in the area next to the Junkercompressor as far as I remember. I have tried to localize it on the pictures I have but are unable to trace it. The device is often descibed in the uboatnovels and I believe its an interesting device to put in. I have seen only very few models incoporating this device. May be somebody can furnish further details. I`m posting a few pictures showing the ejectorslot in the external casing so you are able to localise the where it`s fitted.
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #97 on: 09 May , 2012, 12:23 »
Rigth Maciek that`s how I remember it. Thank you.
Tore

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #98 on: 09 May , 2012, 12:34 »
Hmm it would be a great addition, however the starboard side is exactly the one where the hull will be opened, and the very same position of the pillenwerfer is approximately 1,5 cm away from the rear end, which brings it to spot where the cut out will be, and i have no idea how could i add it, obviously it cant float in mid-air, unless if i could make some kind support for it., maybe if i would add thick piping on top of the torpedo compensating tanks, but that would not look esthetic in my opinion. Transparent holder is also not really appropriate, since it would be visible, should i leave it out?

I'll get to the E-motor cooling fans for now, and will wait for your opinion regarding the pillenwerfer.

TopherVIIC

« Reply #99 on: 09 May , 2012, 12:53 »
Marko,
On my 1:35 cut-away I actually have some "floating" items supported by electrical cables and airlines, but I am also doing the T-bulb D.Spt frames as visible. I am only removing the skin, so it works for me. I agree with you in your case - floating the pillenwerfer would not work so well.

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #100 on: 09 May , 2012, 13:06 »
Hm, electrical cable sounds like a good idea, but unfortunately around pillenwerfer there is nothing such thing to see :( There are some thin pipings, but i am afraid that such thin wire would not properly support the solid part such as pillenwerfer mechanism

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #101 on: 09 May , 2012, 13:28 »
I think I localized the device on the picture below, and it seems to be fitted to the pressurehull right above the last aft flange of the Junker housing. I`m not at all an expert on this kind of drawings, but could you extend the hullskin just a bit to provide the fitting. To my opinion it would be a great asset to drawing if you could manage.
Tore

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #102 on: 09 May , 2012, 14:02 »
hmm, currently is in scale 1/72 compartment approximately 105 mm long without the extension. I'd rather not try to shorten it, but i got an idea while you said "right above the last flange of Junkers" well, i could fit it to the bulkhead that limits the compartment (see the attachment) I also made the cooling fans and its electronics, and i totally forgot about the side motor mounts, so those are in place now, i think those are really nice detail, and add to overall depth of the E-propulsion. check out my propositon for the Pillewerfer location.

TopherVIIC

« Reply #103 on: 09 May , 2012, 14:05 »
The thing to remember also is that this is a base casting. Each modeler can add wiring, plumbing and details as desired. Your final build will not be limited to just what you build and print here!

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #104 on: 09 May , 2012, 14:29 »
Christopher has a wise remark and following that I would advise to put it a bit further forward as I try tro indicate on your drawing.
Tore