Author Topic: Rear torpedo section VII / 3D model / 1/72  (Read 31320 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Rear torpedo section VII / 3D model /
« Reply #30 on: 30 Apr , 2012, 23:57 »
Marko
Then I guess it remains only a few details on the shaft inside the E-room which I indicated on the posted drawing.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #31 on: 01 May , 2012, 00:33 »
To get you an idea how it looks like I have posted a sketch showing the principle ,not accurate details for a VIIC, but I guess it do.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #32 on: 01 May , 2012, 08:01 »
Shaftdiameter.
Futher to my post of the above. The tailshaft beeing 175 mm diam has a shrunk on liner in the area of the sterntube total extern shaftdiameter is then 195 mm.
Outside the pressurehull in the area of the A bracket the shaftdiameter is 180 mm having a liner making the external diameter 220 mm. Outside the pressurehull, the exposed part of the shaft between the A bracket and sterntube is wrapped with wire and canvas.
Tore

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #33 on: 01 May , 2012, 17:07 »
Erm, did have shaft flange any foundation perhaps?

over here shows as the brake was basically integrated with foundation:
http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=940.0;attach=2509;image

any idea how should i make this? perhaps just a simple foundation as i did to the clutch, only less massive?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #34 on: 01 May , 2012, 23:27 »
Marko
The flange as such has not any foundation ( it`s rotating). The brake is simply a band working on a shaftdrum immediately aft of the flange. The band is tigthened by a detachtable lever handoperating a rachet. There is of course a small foundation on the fixingpoint for the ratchet. I thing I have a picture some place and shall post it if I find it. It is really not a very sofisticated design.
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #35 on: 02 May , 2012, 03:32 »
Hi Guys
Shaftdiameter.

Futher to my post of the above. The tailshaft beeing 175 mm diam has a shrunk on liner in the area of the sterntube total extern shaftdiameter is then 195 mm.
Outside the pressurehull in the area of the A bracket the shaftdiameter is 180 mm having a liner making the external diameter 220 mm. Outside the pressurehull, the exposed part of the shaft between the A bracket and sterntube is wrapped with wire and canvas.
I've got also few values:
Main thrust bearing total length: 690 mm
                                total width: 640 mm
                                total height: 857 mm
A bracket (Wellenbocklager) diameter: 200 mm
                                           length: 595 mm
Stern tube (Stevenrohre) length: 6710 mm
                                        diamter: 200 mm
Length of the propeller shaft (between the propeller and the flange): 8010 mm
 Length of the thrust shaft (between the flange and tail clutch): 1405 mm 
Length of the electric motor shaft (between the tail clutch and diesel engine clutch): 4025 mm 
Break drum diameter: 400 mm
                   width: 55 mm

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #36 on: 02 May , 2012, 13:32 »
Marko
The photo I thougth I had wasn`t any good so I`m posting a new systemsketch this time for a XXI type boat but I believe the system is about the same. Anyhow you see the small foundation of the brake.
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: 02 May , 2012, 14:28 »
Hi
I`m posting a new systemsketch this time for a XXI type boat but I believe the system is about the same. Anyhow you see the small foundation of the brake.
In fact, this is shafting of the type IX boats (see the 9-cylinder diesel engine).
The shaft system of the XXI is shown here:

(http://uboatarchive.net/DesignStudiesTypeIXC-S43.htm)

Anyway - for the type VII looks the same.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #38 on: 02 May , 2012, 23:04 »
Maciek
I was in doubt when I found this sketch saying it was a XXI arrangement, it looks to be too crude for such a boat, IX is more like it. As I said before I have only seen a XXI once and know practically nothing about the design. Marko, IX would make the sketch even closer to the VII apart from the 9 cylinder engine as Maciek says.
Tore

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #39 on: 03 May , 2012, 14:39 »
hello Guys,

after taking into account all of your advices, i created this:
note, some layers have been disengaged to get the free view of the parts, brake is "incorporated" into small foundation, however i had to design a "fictional" lead-in base to the pressurehull for the sterntube, and i had to trim it, since plastic from revell would not allow this diameter to fit into hull, well, it might if i shaved it down to paper thin thickness, but i am afraid that even that would not be enough. This time i am posting a render picture, if you prefer normal drawing with meshes indicated, feel free to say it, and i will post those back again, however if you would prefer renders like these, i can make these instead.

TopherVIIC

« Reply #40 on: 03 May , 2012, 14:53 »
I like how your drawings are coming along! Keep Going!

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #41 on: 03 May , 2012, 23:38 »
Well, Marko, one step further, only the compressors, emergency steering, "pillenwerfer" and a few other items remains. A few remarks: the thrustbearing seems to be a little out of proporsion, it is about 30% of the mainclutch dimension. You have made a construction on the top of the thrust bearing I don`t know what it is, see picture of a mitchell thrustbearing below. As Maciek adviced the brakedrum diameter is 400 mm and the shaftdiam is 175 mm. The thrustshaft flange is forged (one piece with the thrustshaft) and has the same diameter as the corresponding removable propellorshaft flange. See picture below. Keep going!
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #42 on: 04 May , 2012, 03:11 »
Marko
On this photo you can see the top of the thrust bearing:

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #43 on: 04 May , 2012, 06:01 »
hmm, after studying the limits, unfortunately i cannot increase brakedrum diameter since the mantle of the pressurehull will cross with it, fisrt as i have drawn it i made it bigger, but i had to scale it down so it will fit together, sorry for this one. I'd made it bigger if i could  :(

i miss understood drawings and photos, and thought that thrustbearing has a structure on top for access or something, my bad, will get on it ASAP :)

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #44 on: 04 May , 2012, 08:45 »
okay, ive redesigned the compartment floor a bit, thrustbearing got scaled down a bit, odd structure was removed, and that tiny bolt added on top (i assume that is for oiling / greasing the thing?)

with floor removed:

and with torpedo compensating tanks or trim tanks? These are a bit fictional, since i cannot make them completely round due to pressurehull mantle, or perhaps they weren't completely round?

with rounded ends )which one is more accurate?:
« Last Edit: 04 May , 2012, 10:14 by Marko »