Author Topic: Rear torpedo section VII / 3D model / 1/72  (Read 31324 times)

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
Re: Rear torpedo section VII / 3D model /
« Reply #15 on: 29 Apr , 2012, 06:20 »
hm, were the torpedos so tapered? Well, i did not intend to print out a new torpedo, since i've redrawn it using CMK's torpedo as a template, since i would prefer using that one instead of printing new one, or maybe should i whack the original torpedo off a bit to fit it in? i could make it virtually elongated in the rear where the "box" in the bulkhead is, and i think i will do exactly that, ill post a picture as soon as ill finish it.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #16 on: 29 Apr , 2012, 08:29 »
Marko
I would rather focus on the propellorshafts, thrustblocks,tailclutches and E-motors than a sparetorpedo if I had to make a choice, but I`m an engineer and not a torpedoman.
Tore

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #17 on: 29 Apr , 2012, 08:38 »
hmm, ok,
 this is around 3rd attempt, and now it looks like this:
i tapered it a little bit, i checked the CMK's torpedoes, and its true, they are a bit tapered more than i designed it, yet not so much as mine, but i will probably give one into printing in this case. Now it does not intersect the hull anymore, i also trimmed it down little bit, 4mm to be exact, however it does not show much of a difference after it will be partially hidden behind E-motor and its electronics. Tore, you marked that the forward cradle that i made, that there actually  is no cradle, but how in the world did they support it? there was a cradle with straps behind the torpedo cetre of gravity, but the front down force would be too high i guess, so it had to be something else supporting it in front, at least top of the vertical rib, (without the cradle that i made in front). Any opinions on this issue?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #18 on: 29 Apr , 2012, 09:26 »
Marko
I think you got mixed up with the strong thrustbearingstructure which is way out overdimensioned for a torpedocraddle. It could very well be that there is a craddle beween the two structures. It migth also be that the two foundations which you indicates as torpedo craddles in the E-motor area are the two foundations for the E- motor and that it could be one (not two) craddles beween the two E-motors.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #19 on: 29 Apr , 2012, 11:37 »
Marko
May be the the below picture explains better the foundation leg of the E-motors
Tore

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #20 on: 29 Apr , 2012, 11:57 »
cheers Tore, thanks for the heads up, well, i am looking on my example of plans, and looks like that the E motors are cradled on two points (same solid  mount) on the side to the pressure hull with foundation and probably on the same spots on the bottom as your cross section shows.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #21 on: 29 Apr , 2012, 13:30 »
I guess you are rigth. Well Marko you have a lot to acommodate in this compartment, on the picture below I have indicated a few essentials. Take your pick, quite a task I dare say.
Tore

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #22 on: 29 Apr , 2012, 13:51 »
Yep, it will be a lot of work, a lot more than i anticipated. Especially beneath the floor. Here is my interpretation of the e motor bottom foundation with its mount. I guess will go for the side mounts and side foundations next. Note, on the starboard side i will be showing only motor mounts, without the foundations, so they wont obscure the interior much, after all they a re more or less just solid boxes with smoothed edges. To accommodate bearings in rear and in front of the E-motors i will have to shorten these for 1 or 2mm on each side

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #23 on: 29 Apr , 2012, 14:53 »
Interesting view. You have a very thick centerplate in the middle of the foundation structure. I believe the strength is from the boxshape rather than the plate thickness as I have indicated below
Tore.

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #24 on: 30 Apr , 2012, 05:08 »
you a right on this one, but i rather made it like a thick centreplate, since i am making a cut out, and therefore i cant extend it out much. I could later split the middle box foundation, but that just would not look right, CMK did the same thing at the engine section, so technically if i make it to box i will ruin the continuallity of the foundation, so i guess id rather leave it as is

here is link to the CMK's engine compartment, located on AMP site to compare:
http://www.rokket.biz/models/modelsweb/rokket/u557/images/tcumm_eng.jpg

erm, where did the shaft diameter change? as i am now making the clutch, i am assuming that diameter got narrowed there? diesel engine shaft - EM shaft - clutch - shaft diameter reduction. Or was it any other way? Could it be that shat diameter was constant? If it was, then  we have a problem since CMK made the diameter 5mm, and revells exit diameter is only roughly 2,5mm maybe 3mm at propeller.
« Last Edit: 30 Apr , 2012, 06:13 by Marko »

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #25 on: 30 Apr , 2012, 08:54 »
i made foundations, but looks like those wont be much visible after assembly, maybe just bits and pieces of them:

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #26 on: 30 Apr , 2012, 11:40 »
you a right on this one, but i rather made it like a thick centreplate, since i am making a cut out, and therefore i cant extend it out much. I could later split the middle box foundation, but that just would not look right, CMK did the same thing at the engine section, so technically if i make it to box i will ruin the continuallity of the foundation, so i guess id rather leave it as is

here is link to the CMK's engine compartment, located on AMP site to compare:
http://www.rokket.biz/models/modelsweb/rokket/u557/images/tcumm_eng.jpg

erm, where did the shaft diameter change? as i am now making the clutch, i am assuming that diameter got narrowed there? diesel engine shaft - EM shaft - clutch - shaft diameter reduction. Or was it any other way? Could it be that shat diameter was constant? If it was, then  we have a problem since CMK made the diameter 5mm, and revells exit diameter is only roughly 2,5mm maybe 3mm at propeller.

Marko
I am posting a sketch showing the shaftarrangement with all the components. I have marked red where I believe the shaftdiameter was increased.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #27 on: 30 Apr , 2012, 12:19 »
Marko
May be it`s an idea to explain the purpose of the various shaft components. Engineclutch : to disengage dieselengine from propellor and E-motor fi. when running on E motor. Bulkhead shaft stuffingbox: to make watertigth (not pressure tigth) compartment  bulkhead between E-room/Dieselengineroom. E- motor: actually two motors in one and operating both as a motor ( maneuvring and propulsion) and generator ( battericharging). Tailclutch: disengaging propellor fi. when charging batteries alongside.
Thrustbearing: to transfer load from propellor to the hull ( can take up to 10 tonnes of thrust). Removeable propellorshaft flange:  to be able to pull the propellorshaft through the sterntube for maintenance. Propellorshaft brake: to prevent the shaft from turning (idling) when disconnected. Is able to take the full idlingload when the other propellor has max load from the dieselengine. Sterntube packingbox: to prevent waterleakage along the propshaft at max divingdepth as well as at depthchargeattacks.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #28 on: 30 Apr , 2012, 14:05 »
marko
Studying your bulkhead shaftseal between engineroom and e-room it seem to be on the big side. Check with one of the GE plans and you`ll get the proporsions.
Tore

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #29 on: 30 Apr , 2012, 17:42 »
I know i know, Tore that is the old drawing with thinner shaft diameter :) Maybe that is still too big, but i have to merge it with CMK's design.