Author Topic: Rear torpedo section VII / 3D model / 1/72  (Read 31323 times)

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
Re: Rear torpedo section VII / 3D model /
« Reply #120 on: 11 May , 2012, 16:29 »
okay, pillenwerfer stays in place then :)

Uhm, could anyone help me with drawings from conning tower interior? I have only few, and very few photos aswell, so any drawings and photos are welcome

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #121 on: 11 May , 2012, 23:14 »
Well, I start with the dominant part of it, the attackperiscope. For that time it was a very advanced piece of equipment, see drawing below. The CO sat on the seat which could be turned around by telemotor controlled by the feet on the pedals below.
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #122 on: 13 May , 2012, 01:26 »
Marko,
Uhm, could anyone help me with drawings from conning tower interior? I have only few, and very few photos aswell, so any drawings and photos are welcome

Create the hull of the conning tower, then make the fixed-eye periscope as Tore suggested, and then will see.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #123 on: 13 May , 2012, 04:26 »
When Maciek adviced to create the hull of the conningtower I all of a sudden seems to remember the steel thickness was considerably thicker than the average pressuserehull. Somehow I seems to remember 40 mm, anyhow on a 41. May be somebody can confirm this.

Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #124 on: 13 May , 2012, 04:42 »
When Maciek adviced to create the hull of the conningtower I all of a sudden seems to remember the steel thickness was considerably thicker than the average pressuserehull. Somehow I seems to remember 40 mm, anyhow on a 41. May be somebody can confirm this.

According to U Bootskunde f
« Last Edit: 13 May , 2012, 04:45 by SnakeDoc »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #125 on: 13 May , 2012, 05:15 »
Nice to have it confirmed that I`m still not in the alzheimer stage.`
Tore

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #126 on: 13 May , 2012, 09:07 »
hrm, according to my lectures at university if i remember them right (quite some while ago) here is the theory why the conning tower walls had to be thicker:
1) optimal shape of the pressure vessel is round due to tangential pressure, and due to the impact angle of the pressure force the components of the force get significantly lower value - especially the active component which has lower impact to the affected surface (similar as sloped armor on armored vehicles), with the pressure hull that is achieved as a cylinder, which has rounded ends, which assist at the structure integrity, where welds are critical points - that is why hull is not riveted together, since rivets could get sheared off, compromising the interior. Ideal shape of the submarine would be in this case - round shape, but that would obviously increase drag, not to mention how would be submarine large in diameter...

2) since the conning tower cannot have rounded top, and the joint between pressure hull and the conning tower is basically perpendicular, the welds have to be particularly strong, so have to be walls of the compartment to cancel the pressure effects out. For instance, pressure hull is rounded, and can have for this reason walls thick lets say 20 mm, where the conning tower has to have to get same results that at least doubled, could be thinner, but therefore different type of alloy should be used.

So if i remember my theory right, these are the main reasons why the aft and bow are substantially thinner than the rest (full round shape), main hull sides thinner since they have rounded tips, and the thickest conning tower components, due to flat cap. Okay, no on to the new topic for the conning tower :)

p.s.: feel free to correct my theory, or add new reasons :)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Rear torpedo section VII / 3D model / 1/72
« Reply #127 on: 13 May , 2012, 10:02 »
Basicly you remember the theory correctly, I believe. The practical result of same is, as the conningtower has a considerable oval structure, the steel having the same tensile strength is thicker to compensate for the increased stresses. I believe the steel plates of the pressurehull in the joint area of the conning tower has an icreased thickness as well allthough not to the same extent as the conningtower. (I don`t know this for sure). As an oval opening in the pressurehull, cause a considerable weakness in the pressurehull in addition to cutting of the frames, the two torpedoloading openings (fore and aft) have loose beams which are fitted in craddles as a continuation and completion of the framecircles.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #128 on: 13 May , 2012, 19:46 »

According to U Bootskunde f

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: Rear torpedo section VII / 3D model / 1/72
« Reply #129 on: 13 May , 2012, 19:56 »