Author Topic: Rear torpedo section VII / 3D model / 1/72  (Read 31408 times)

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
Re: Rear torpedo section VII / 3D model /
« Reply #105 on: 09 May , 2012, 14:43 »
Erm, Tore that on the drawing is the stern hydroplane mechanism (you marked it as pillewerfer), however i think best possible location for Pillewerfer would be on that spot, unless if i make some extension, or i could make it separately, and then decide where to put it, and how to attach it. Or, in theory i could lean it to the last flange of the Junkers compressor, which would not be entirely accurate, but would follow the flow of the parts..

here is approximate position of the pillwerfer, im not exactly sure how would this fall out, basically its a tube rotated 90
« Last Edit: 09 May , 2012, 17:02 by Marko »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #106 on: 09 May , 2012, 23:20 »
Yes Marko, this seems to be rigth seeing it from this angle. As to the fixing how about a plexiglass frame (skin)? I have not the faintest idea about this technique.
Tore

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #107 on: 10 May , 2012, 00:05 »
I have thought of it too, but then i would have to close up all of the compartments this way and that would not be easy due to hull curvature.i thought as second option a small spacer between Junkers compressor and the pillewerfer, in dimension 1x1, or maybe even 0.5x0.5, and appropriate length. Well, i will complete it, still have to move it for about 2 mm towards front end, and then will try the pillar support method how it will show out, later i could dress up the pillar with some wiring and plumbing...

here it is, pillewerfer along with its pillar, i hope that it will be enough to support it, pillar is around 1,5 mm long with cross section of 0.5x0.5, so it will be barely visible. With some shading i can almost render it invisible, and some additional wiring could also help.
« Last Edit: 10 May , 2012, 01:50 by Marko »

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #108 on: 10 May , 2012, 10:36 »
i decided to zoom it in, now the length of the pillewerfer is as long that it reaches the outside of the hull, somehow seems too long, and does nto fall into the context of the part stream. should i shorten it for one quarter? I also added some of the walve and control wheels, note, these are just most visible, i will try to make theese in large number and place them accordingly wherever needed, if the prints of the wheels would prove not to be OK, i hope that i could find these control wheels Photoetched somewhere, maybe HO scale from the train modelers...

i got ahead of myself and pre-made the shorter variant and will take votes which is better :)
« Last Edit: 10 May , 2012, 10:47 by Marko »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #109 on: 10 May , 2012, 10:52 »
As it looks now it`s a cut off which migth be OK. In reality the outer end is within the slot in the casing and has a pressuretight cap beeing able to open and shut by a small wheel inside next to the Pillenwerfer.
Tore

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #110 on: 10 May , 2012, 11:05 »
hm, makes sense, since somehow the pill (oil canister, sonar decoy, trash? :) ) had to be loaded. Should i make vertical cut to the tube, or should i leave it angled as the hull falls around it?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #111 on: 10 May , 2012, 11:33 »
Marko
Ejecting 46 mens trash trough a 10 cm tube would keep a man busy for hours and leave a nice track behind you. If you make a cut I think you should leave it angled just to indicate it is a cut.
Tore

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #112 on: 11 May , 2012, 05:42 »
Okay, shorter angled it is. I am out of ideas what else could i done on it. Any suggestions or should i start exporting and creating suitable files and then start on the conning tower interior?

TopherVIIC

« Reply #113 on: 11 May , 2012, 06:07 »
Marko-
Sometimes it is useful to change tracks. As you work on the conning tower you may subconsciously come up with solutions to other areas. That happens to me all the time. :-)

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #114 on: 11 May , 2012, 06:24 »
True indeed,

i just edited few items in the forward crew compartment  :)

uhm, CMK did in the fwd torpedo compartment a guiding rail (I beam) for loading torpedo into torpedo tube. Did the rear compartment had same rail with a wheel to force the torpedo to the tube, or did they use only that pulley located in the "middle" of the compartment along with chains? Im asking, since i cant find any guiding rail from the photos from Laboe, neither from panoramas.
« Last Edit: 11 May , 2012, 06:31 by Marko »

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #115 on: 11 May , 2012, 08:21 »
Hi
Coming back to the Diesel compressor:
It looks like the first five type VIIC boats (U-93, U-94, U-95, U-96, U-97) where equipped with two electrically driven compressor, while all later with one electric and one diesel compressor. And that's why, on the plans from the U-570 there were drawn both versions of the equipment.

Now it is clear for me, why among the installations drawings from the U-570 (http://uboatarchive.net/U-570DesignBook.htm), there are three plates for the cooling system - 13, 13A and 13B. There are for the type VIIC boats with GW Krupp Diesel engines with Diesel air compressor, with MAN Diesel engines with Diesel air compressor and with the GW Krupp Diesel engines with two electrically driven compressors respectively.

If you compare these drawings, you will see the additional cooling installation for the Diesel air compressor exhaust line.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #116 on: 11 May , 2012, 10:30 »
Which fits in with your statement Maciek, that  U-93 up to U-97 would have two E-compressors as these boats were built at Krupp Germaniawerft and would the have the GW mainengines.
Tore

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #117 on: 11 May , 2012, 11:12 »
hmm, is it possible that pillewerfer was only on the later built submarines?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #118 on: 11 May , 2012, 12:40 »
I guess it depends what you mean by later. As far as I know it was introduced in the U-boats latter part of 1942. But you know it was relatively easy to fit the Pillenwerfer on all the Uboats.
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #119 on: 11 May , 2012, 14:02 »
Marko,

According to R