Author Topic: Why is Revell`s 1.125 U boat so poorly detailed?  (Read 3690 times)

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
Why is Revell`s 1.125 U boat so poorly detailed?
« on: 15 Mar , 2011, 10:23 »
Hi folks, just a query before I go back to work. :'(  I have, as a tester before I tackle the 1.72 kits, bought a 1.144 type VIIC/41 by Revell , and also a 1.125 type VIIC. I actually was wanting to test out my painting techniques on the smaller models first, before unleashing my airbrush on my beloved 1.72 kits.
Thing is, I am amazed at the difference in detailing between the two kits. The 1.144 is on a par with the 1.72 kit, but the  1.125 has no hull detailing at all, apart from the top row of flood holes. I cant believe that the same manufacturer has made two kits with such a difference in quality, especially with the larger kit being the poorer example. Its also noted that no one seems to have any information on building the 1.125 kit. Can anyone shed any light on this subject. Is it just a duff kit that no one wants to build? Also, I was wondering, is it possible to get a  P.E. kit for the VIIC/41? I can only find one for the VIIC. Thanks in advance for any of your observations,
 see yas in a month, Leth

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
Re: Why is Revell`s 1.125 U boat so poorly detailed?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar , 2011, 12:46 »
Forgot to mention, PE kit for VIIC/41 in 1.144 scale is what Im looking for. :-[

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline conus00

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar , 2011, 14:23 »
Hi Leth,
welcome to the forum.
In regards of the Revell's 1:125 Type VII, the problem is that the kit is very old. Much older than their 1/144 and 1/72 releases. It lacks detail, it is dimensionally inaccurate and without any aftermarket sets. Also the "odd" scale does not help either. Regardless it has the possibility (with a lot of skills and scratchbuilding) to be turned into (somewhat) acceptable model of Type VII.
I have build two of the kits myself: one when I was about 18 and the second one when I was getting back to modeling about two years ago. It is good kit (considering its price) to test your skills on before progressing to other (more expensive) projects. If you are stickler to historical accuracy you'd better do with 1/144 or 1/72 versions, though.
On the workbench:
Trumpeter 1/144 Type XXIII U-boat
ICM 1/144 Type IIb U-boat
ICM 1/144 Type XXIII U-boat
Revell 1/144 Type VIID U-boat
Minicraft 1/700 USS Ticonderoga CG-47
Collecting materials:
(scratchbuild) 1/144 Type XVII-B Walther U-bo

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar , 2011, 02:42 »
Thanks for clearing that up. I couldnt understand why there was such a difference in build quality. I see what you mean right enough about being good to hone your skills on. I too used to be a prolific modeller in my youth and had an extremely long hiatus, but now Im back, but the only interest I have is U boats. I cant put my finger on why I am so fascinated by them. I just love the lines.
Gotta head back to work today, so a month away from the boats just when I was getting in to it >:(  Interestingly, my job took me to Hamburg a couple of years ago. I was working on a ship in the drydock at the Blohm and Voss shipyard. You could still see the bomb marks on the side of the dry dock.
 Its a vast shipyard!

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar , 2011, 14:24 »
Hi Leth,

We're working on sets for several VIIC kits, one of them being the VIIC/41 in 144th scale. If you can wait a wee while then we will have a set available for your VIIC/41 model.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar , 2011, 12:55 »
Cheers Dougie, Im really looking forward to seeing your new kits :D I wont need to wait , cos Ive ordered loads of different models and am looking forward to getting stuck in when I get back home. Theres enough to last me for ages I reckon :o

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #6 on: 26 Apr , 2011, 10:24 »
Im gonna tackle the 1/125 kit even though its a dog. As you say, it`ll be good for practising, although I dont think blackwash will do any good, cos theres no detail to highlight!  :D

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

bracco_n

« Reply #7 on: 26 Apr , 2011, 14:43 »
I built U99 in 1/125 when I was 15 (four years ago). She's not the prittiest fish but I like it. I'll post some photos of her when I get some time.

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #8 on: 29 Apr , 2011, 00:33 »
Cheers Bracco, I  had looked for u boat kits for ages and finally found the .125 kit a few years ago. I had half built it when I moved house and it was damaged in the flit. It was only after some more searching that I found out the existence of the 1.72 kits and I was in heaven ;D, but then came the pain of trying to find one. I bought the .125 kit again, just to give me something to practise on, but after seeing the larger boat, the lack of detail is distracting. :-\ I will persevere just to give me some painting practise ;)

Jawohl herr Kaleun!