Re: U-711
« Reply #151 on: 29 Aug , 2010, 08:13 »
waiting for more, but don't rush, coming along so nice
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Jan

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #152 on: 29 Aug , 2010, 10:46 »
You don`t have to wait for a long time, Wink.  Weather is very bad in Germany, so I hope to make progress soon. ;)

PS: Thank you for quick delivery of the flag. I didn`t expext it to pass the customs border... ;D

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #153 on: 30 Aug , 2010, 07:30 »
Yes, they're great flags, aren't they Jan.

I'd guess the package wasn't inspected that closely, probably just noted that it was "model parts" and decided harmless.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #154 on: 31 Aug , 2010, 05:37 »
get to work! ;D

glad you got quickly and went thru OK. Yes, Pat's right, tho it can be hit or miss. So far we've had no rejections (or at least complaints).

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #155 on: 06 Sep , 2010, 08:55 »
Personally, I feel the government is misapplying the intent of the laws regarding WWII regalia.

While a resurrection of the WWII party and regime is something to be avoided, historical accuracy on models is something that shouldn't be part of it.  The use of the item has to be taken into account and museum type displays shouldn't be discouraged.  After all, it IS part of world history and hiding something doesn't make it go away despite what you might hear from any ostriches.

I was quite dismayed when the kit didn't include the proper flag and since historical accuracy is an important part of model making, I went to a lot of trouble to make up my own flag.  Even after all that work, I was overjoyed to get my flags from AMP / Wink and happy to make the switch.  Perhaps if it hadn't been for the shortsightedness of the government on this particular item, I would have had to settle for paper flags from the kit which are inferior for sure compared to the AMP flags.

But then, it wouldn't be the first time that I don't agree with a politician's decision.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #156 on: 13 Sep , 2010, 16:01 »
There is such a danger of sterilising and distorting with Political Correctness. I don't want to offend anyone whether it is personal or not, but there are just silly things...like no sports competition in schools so that "everyone can be a winner"...I was a loser in Sport, but it didn't make me warped! I'm short, NOT "height challenged".

Human resources is Personnel, and prisoners are NOT "clients"...rant over

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #157 on: 13 Sep , 2010, 17:40 »
Hmmm, I wonder if was just political correctness then when Dad's Halifax was shot down in 1944, and instead of being a "prisoner", he referred to hi8mself as a "guest" of the Third Reich?

Offline Jan

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #158 on: 14 Sep , 2010, 12:52 »
Haha...

But its a good point, Wink. Even though I haven`t thought much about political correctness, I think its like dancing on a wire: On the one hand, in some cases it might be an act of kindness. On the other hand political correctness might be insulting in some other cases. It is like many - in principle - good things, if you overdo it, it turns bad.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #159 on: 18 Sep , 2010, 01:53 »
well said Jan

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #160 on: 20 Sep , 2010, 15:36 »
Yes, it is Jan.

However, on a model, I think historical accuracy should trump political correctness.  After all, even a U-boat itself is an acknowledgement of the historical reality of what happened in WWII, so if you're going to admit that they built such machines, you might as well also admit who it was who built them.

It's not agrandizing the political system as much as it's representing the technical schievements of the time.  And yes, also the artistic merit in some of the equipment, U-boats and Spitfires being two of the finest examples.

Offline Jan

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #161 on: 21 Sep , 2010, 11:57 »
Yeah...plus I have some "special" plans displaying the flag in a way that is historic and also shows, that I

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #162 on: 21 Sep , 2010, 22:24 »
I sort of look at it not much different than displaying any other flag on a model.  It's a statement of historical accuracy, not politics.

For instance, if I was to build a tall ship model with a white flag and a blue cross, it doesn't mean I'm a sympathizer for Tsarist Russia.  If I put a Tricolour on it, it doesn't mean I'm a Bonapartist.  Nobody would ever question that.

So why do they make a fuss if I put a Kriedgsmarine flag on a U-boat, S-boat, Bismark or Tirpitz model?

Offline Jan

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #163 on: 22 Sep , 2010, 11:04 »
Maybe it is difficult to understand for somebody not living in Germany...using this flag here is not just "politically uncorrect"... it is absolutely taboo. Even after more than 65 years. If you go to an official museum here, you won`t find a kriegsmarin ship with this flag. And of course there are no "aeroplane-signs" on Bismarck or the other german capital ships. But for private use, I see the wish to display a historically correct ship - so I think it is ok. And of course I would never put a smiley or a peace sign in place of the swastika!

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #164 on: 22 Sep , 2010, 13:40 »
Hi gents,

I live in Scotland rather than Germany. But even here there are major issues surrounding displaying the symbol on the Kriegsmarine flag on a model. I wouldn't use the term politically incorrect, it goes much deeper than that.

When we started AMP, Wink and I had to think carefully about whether ot not to produce the KM flag. We are about historical accuracy so we do offer it for sale. But we are uneasy about it and Wink also designed a KM flag with an alternate symbol.

Pat, I agree with you that putting the KM flag on a model is a statement of historical accuracy. And as a modelmaker I would defend your right to portray historical accuracy. But I disagree that it is not much different to displaying other flags on models. The symbol of the KM flag is, to many, an embodiment of the greatest crime in human history.  Some people think the connotations of the symbol (which go way beyond political incorrectness) far outweigh historical accuracy.

Cheers,

Dougie