Author Topic: U-711  (Read 41102 times)

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
Re: U-711
« Reply #165 on: 24 Sep , 2010, 07:01 »
I sort of look at it not much different than displaying any other flag on a model.  It's a statement of historical accuracy, not politics.

For instance, if I was to build a tall ship model with a white flag and a blue cross, it doesn't mean I'm a sympathizer for Tsarist Russia.  If I put a Tricolour on it, it doesn't mean I'm a Bonapartist.  Nobody would ever question that.

So why do they make a fuss if I put a Kriedgsmarine flag on a U-boat, S-boat, Bismark or Tirpitz model?

because it's just forbidden...........
everybody is allowed to display a nazi- flag on his model at home, it offends the law in the moment it is displayed publicly.

Sincerely

Ralf

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Re: U-711
« Reply #166 on: 25 Sep , 2010, 01:47 »
Yes, I certainly understand the difference in Germany, and I see my short rant did not really make the distinction - as Dougie did so well - that this particular case is NOT "political correctness" - I hope my brief, hasty words didn't trivialise. But with private use OK in Germany, everything is at least practical for modellers.

Outside of Germany, I do see Pat's point - the flag of whatever country is for the snapshot in time, not to promote that regime/politics. Different of course with Germany and this particular flag, and perhaps some other intense, semi recent topics.

AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz