Author Topic: U-711  (Read 41105 times)

Offline Jan

• Lt Cdr
U-711
« on: 12 Nov , 2008, 05:01 »
Hi folks,

i`ve been reading your reports on building the VII C with great interest. The results are super! This encouraged me to become a member of your forum, too.

Since the beginning of 2007 i`m working on a model of U-711. Because of the several tower modifications it`s an interessting project, though the research is a bit complicated.

Can anyone please support me with fotos of "frontpanzers" and "panzerk

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
Re: U-711
« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov , 2008, 09:56 »
Welcome!    :)

I profess no knowledge of U711, but there are a few different places to get information from (aside from Google searches):

Also you might contact the following people directly :
  • Wink Gris
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov , 2008, 11:04 »
Hi Jan and Glenn,

First of all, welcome to the AMP forum. Glad you can be with us. A similar welcome to everyone who has  joined us.

Gaining specific info on features of U 711 will prove difficult. Info is scattered arouund various books and websites and there isn't one resource covering what the modeller needs to know. The resources Glenn pointed out are definitely places to visit. I do think there is the need for an article on the development of the Type VII, aimed specifically at the modeller of the Revell kits. I will at some point finish such an article but have the Type II set and other writing projects to finish first. As I've not finished researching the modifications made to mid-to-late war boats I will be unable to assist you to the level that I would like. But I shall try.

A colour image of U 711 in July 1944 can be found on the following the SubCommittee thread -

http://s181686668.onlinehome.us/phpBB2/messageboards.php5

The following link shows the image in larger size -

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVuBfDA

U 711 is third from the right.

The order to fit the armoured boxes was issued on 4th June 1943. An order to remove them was made on the 30th October 1943. However, not all of the boxes were removed. U 711 still had the boxes in July 1944 and U 480 still had the boxes in October 1944.

I dare say there were variations between the boxes. The starboard side was to hold five men and the port box to hold only one man. The port box was farther forward than the starboard box. Ralf has done a very good job of the U 377 boxes so you might use his build as a reference aid.

What I'm still looking for, like yourself, is an image showing the entrance of the boxes. Still looking!

Many boats which had the boxes were also fitted with armour plates on the front face of the top half of the tower. U 711 definitely had these plates. If you have a close look at the U 711 tower you'll see a vertical line on either side of a hole. The armour plates on U 711 were not fully rounded around the tower - rather they had an edge to them in two places.

Let me know if you can't see the edges and I'll photoshop in a few arrows.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Jan

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #3 on: 12 Nov , 2008, 11:34 »
Thank you very much Glenn and Dougie!

Especially Glenn

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 12 Nov , 2008, 12:43 »
Hi Jan,

Very welcome. Glenn, Siara and Wink take modelling to the level of craftmanship. But there is always a place for building quick out-of-box builds too. Otherwise we'd only ever finish a few models!

I presume the boxes were taken away because of instability. That much weight so high up on the boat must have created a problem.

I've been meaning to post a question on late war decks. Now that you and Glenn have posted recently it is a good time to discuss it. I will start a new thread on the subject tonight.

Greets from Schottland,

Dougie

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #5 on: 12 Nov , 2008, 14:30 »
Welcome to our forum Jan. ;)
Unfortunately i know nothing about Your boat- but Wink, Glen, and Dougie should help You- They are the best people in bussiness. ;)
I wish You lot of patience, and i will follow Your build with great deal of interest.
BTW: Thanks all for good words. I moved to new place over last weekend, and once i get all my boxes unpacked i should start work again this weekend.

Offline Jan

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #6 on: 13 Nov , 2008, 04:04 »
Those boats are already pieces of art...

At first, I just wanted to build it right out of the box. But then, I saw in a german modellers forum, people scraping the inside of the boats out in order to open the floods. So my mission was clear...

Now, after doing some detailwork on the superstructure, I

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #7 on: 13 Nov , 2008, 08:17 »
If i can offer some words of comfort to you- it taken me 6 months to sort out the hull alone. :o

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #8 on: 14 Nov , 2008, 10:45 »
Hello Jan,
 ::)
well......my name is Ralf Banach from D
« Last Edit: 14 Nov , 2008, 11:01 by rabapla »
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #9 on: 14 Nov , 2008, 11:50 »
additional photos came from "deutsches u-boot archiv cuxhaven" (now:"deutsches u-boot-museum")
believe me folks: the absolutely positively BEST adress for research!!!

but........
it is a private venture; run by a former "u-bootfahrer", Herrn H.Bredow. right now museum and archiv occupy 3(!) buildings. they've got information (and mostly photos) on every boat!
if You give them a phone call, asking for photos etc.: please keep in mind that it is a private venture! a small donation always helps!!!!

Welcome!

By chance does this archive have a contact e-mail?   I would very much like to get pics of U-673 for my build, as information is scarce. (Also would like info on U-625 my other model, since this is one of particular significance to my family.)

I would certainly be willing to make a small donation, but would only want to communicate via e-mail... long distance from Canada to Germany would be a bit too costly for me. 

Cheers!
Glenn
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #10 on: 14 Nov , 2008, 11:56 »
Forget my last posting... the Archiv does not have an e-mail address... all inquiries are to be through phone, fax, or regular mail.

See here for more information on the Deutsches U-Boot Museum-Archiv, including contact info and pricing for research queries.
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 14 Nov , 2008, 12:18 »
Hi Rabapla,

Ah, so you are Ralf. Nice progress you are making on your U 377. I think Showell would approve.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #12 on: 14 Nov , 2008, 15:18 »
Hi Guys,

Welcome to new members and hello to old. THIS is what modelling is about, the great mutli-flow of information and encouragement! Whta a great thread you've made this.

Ralph, very glad you are still at it, and what a great resource! all should post pix when you can.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #13 on: 16 Nov , 2008, 11:07 »
Well I'm not the best with computers, I'll try anyway.

here the only pictures of the entrances of the panzerk
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 16 Nov , 2008, 15:24 »
Hi Ralf,

Computers have their uses but can be a pain in the backside  :)

Thanks for posting the images, not seen the top two before. I can't quite make out the entrance. Can you describe how big the entrance was?

Thanks agian,

Dougie