Author Topic: U-1299 typeVIIC/41 : the draft in 1/144  (Read 25414 times)

Offline Pepper-mint

• Commander
  • U-1299
U-1299 typeVIIC/41 : the draft in 1/144
« on: 02 Apr , 2010, 07:24 »
Hello Gents,
The U-307 was my first choice... Finally no.

This might sound a bit strange ; building a never launched u-boat. I've been thinking for a while, searching for a hull number, a story, but always with a kind of unsatisfaction ; The U-Boats history is written, some secrets are still to be found but only on existing entities. It's pragmatic without any "chance" of imagination...

What would have been the story of U-1299 ? All i know is that this code was never attibuted.
All the "Build in progress" U-1280 to 1297 coded were suspended and canceled  between september 1943 and september 1944.

-------------------

Let's "change" history : i'm going to launch this U-Boot ! And maybe write it's (short) story.

The U-1299 Type VII/41 :
It was built in Bremen and launched in november 1943.

The last U-boot assigned to the 9th Flotilla in marsh 1944-Brest / front-boat
Success : 2 ships damaged and one Tribal class destroyer sunk, 2 B24 "Liberator" damaged.
Sunk by depth charges in february 1945 near Iceland. At this time wearing a pattern camo. of wavy bands. (like U-744, photo in Warship pictorial #27 p.48)
The boat embleme : pic below.

-------------------

I will build a typical VII/41.

Any opinions or suggestions are welcome... =)

Cheers,
Laurent.
« Last Edit: 24 Oct , 2010, 11:36 by Pepper-mint »
On the W.bench :
Books, pics, drawings, styrene, dreams and :

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: Building U-BOOT U-1299 TYPE VII/41
« Reply #1 on: 02 Apr , 2010, 21:18 »
Hi Laurent

How about this, base on a real bombing raid on Bremen ;D

During the night of June 3/4, 1942 in the largest bombing raid since October 1941, 170 Royal Air Force Bomber attack Bremen. There was damage to the U-boat construction yards which set the launched of U-1299 back to November 1943.
« Last Edit: 02 Apr , 2010, 23:27 by NZSnowman »

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 02 Apr , 2010, 23:13 »
Laurent, that's an interesting idea, doing a model of a boat that was planned but never built.

I like it!

A couple of comments though. 

I'm not sure, but I don't think the boats leaving Bremen much time around Iceland.  That was more for the boats based in Norway since ti was closer.  Doesn't mean it wasn't possible though.

Near the end of the war, emblems on the CT side were rarer.  They got painted over during refits, and not renewed.  Removed with new plating when the CT's were updated into later Turm versions.  Or just done away with after schnorkels since the boats spent less time on the surface.  Also, many emblems were specific to certain flotillas.  There is a URL where you can look up the emblem of every U-boat that was ever launched if you're interested.

I may be wrong (and others like dougie, rokket, Snowman etc. might have better info than I), but I think the wavy patterns were more often seen in the more southern boats.  Probably something to do with the light conditions, or the type of weather and wave combinations.  Mediterranean boats often had a sort of blotchy pattern, almost like flowers, of a blue/grey or sometimes green/grey.  Northern boats often had lighter grey colours (I think it's dougie who published something on the specific shades of grey used) and a few of them were even painted white, sometimes with disruptive camo, sometimes not.  There's at least a couple of northern boats that were all white (sometimes with wind deflectors painted black), at least one I've come across with the casing grey but the CT white, and U-711, the one I'm doing, white but with 3 black wavy lines (one amidships and one equadistant between there and the bow/stern).

It's a good idea to do a boat that never existed, it's gives you a lot of latitude to do things that were charactaristic but doesn't peg you down to one specific boat.  However, there were still things that were specific to certain areas and times that must be taken into consideration.

(I found out recently that the boat I'm building (because I liked the Turm 4 with a deck gun) might not have existed as such.  While U-711 was one of the last to give up her deck gun, it was still before the CT was modified to Turm 4.  But I'm too far along to go back now.  and besides, it looks pretty cool with a deck gun in front of the Turm 4 variation.)

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #3 on: 03 Apr , 2010, 01:08 »
I LIKE it! Having a reason, a "hook" for project is sooo necessary in my book, and this is quite interesting!

For paint and patterns, Dougie's article is the only thing i can say.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Pepper-mint

• Commander
  • U-1299
« Reply #4 on: 03 Apr , 2010, 09:48 »
Thank you  ;D

Hi Laurent

How about this, base on a real bombing raid on Bremen ;D

During the night of June 3/4, 1942 in the largest bombing raid since October 1941, 170 Royal Air Force Bomber attack Bremen. There was damage to the U-boat construction yards which set the launched of U-1299 back to November 1943.

i'm 100% OK !  ;D
Pics from the bombing in link below...

[...]
It's a good idea to do a boat that never existed, it's gives you a lot of latitude to do things that were charactaristic but doesn't peg you down to one specific boat.  However, there were still things that were specific to certain areas and times that must be taken into consideration.
[...]

Pat,
The swordfish was the 9th flotilla embleme but in blue with a red mouth (nothing relly sure about the colors). The 9th flotilla ended his life between august and october 1944 when the sub. docks in Brest were kaput. That's why U-1299 was assigned to the 11th flotilla in Bergen/NORWAY... But as you know, the sub. crews had the choice for the embleme. So they decided to keep the "swordfish". http://www.uboat.net/flotillas/bases/brest.htm
As for the Camo you are right, this pattern was commonly used in the Med. sea. But you can read page 25 from Dougie's excellent "Kriegsmarine U-boat colors and markings"...

@ Rokket : in fact i needed a "hook" before starting my U-boat, i was so frustrated not to find "THE" one...
On the W.bench :

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #5 on: 04 Apr , 2010, 03:01 »
Hi Laurent, great idea!  I will follow your build with much interest.

Ernest

Offline Pepper-mint

• Commander
  • U-1299
« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr , 2010, 00:30 »
Hi all,

I am actually in the middle east for my job...
Will be back in France with U-1299, second week of may.

Kind regards,
Laurent

On the W.bench :

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: 17 Apr , 2010, 18:24 »
the shipyard awaits your return I'm sure
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Pepper-mint

• Commander
  • U-1299
Re: U-1299 typeVII/41 : the draft in 1/144
« Reply #8 on: 19 Oct , 2010, 09:57 »
Hi,

The revell type VII/C41 model box -scale 1/72 is complet ; after-markets and stuff...
Moving from appartment is finish and done so i have more time.

But before assembling the U-1299, I will begin with a draft in scale 1/144/revell , L: 465mm. No aftermarkets, e few scratch B's and a "like brand new from the yard painting". This will give me a direct contact with the pics and text found on the net/books and of course the drawing/works/models of all typeVII fellows on this forum...

But i have the first question : i'm searching a pic from the anchor : when the u-Boat is inked (?) how's the chain glider looking ?
Second question : how's the chain lookinng ?
Thank you for any info or pics  ;D

All your opinions and comments will be much appreciated  :)

quick beginning, in the kitchen on the camping workbench :

the "hole" story...

TBC.
Laurent
« Last Edit: 21 Oct , 2010, 10:45 by Pepper-mint »
On the W.bench :

LE BOSCO

« Reply #9 on: 19 Oct , 2010, 10:36 »
beautiful begining laurent !
I am going to look if I find something on the chain of the anchor and hawse pipes
amiti

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #10 on: 19 Oct , 2010, 13:05 »
Hi Laurent

No pictures of the chain of the anchor or the hawse pipes :( I will keep a eye out for you.

Simon

TRM

« Reply #11 on: 19 Oct , 2010, 17:14 »
Very nice Laurent.  Looking forward to your progress.

looking for Anchor pics as well....

Cheers!

Offline Pepper-mint

• Commander
  • U-1299
« Reply #12 on: 20 Oct , 2010, 01:38 »
Hi Mates,

Thank you a lot ;)
On the W.bench :

Offline Pepper-mint

• Commander
  • U-1299
« Reply #13 on: 20 Oct , 2010, 14:09 »
A little WIP...

evergreen or revell ?

evergreen S.rods / 0,5mm are a bit thik for the wintergarten in scale 1/144, but it will do for the 1/72 model.

TBC.
 ;)
« Last Edit: 21 Oct , 2010, 10:48 by Pepper-mint »
On the W.bench :

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: 22 Oct , 2010, 04:38 »
nice grab handles