Author Topic: Greif's New Uboot Project  (Read 24530 times)

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
Re: Greif's New Uboot Project
« Reply #60 on: 16 Jan , 2010, 01:47 »
Thanks for the comments guys.  Thus far it is 4-0 for keeping the curtain.  I will experiment with finding a way to show it partly open.  I did not mention in my original post that I had made two curtains, as that is the general arrangment on the real thing.  The left hand curtain was to be pulled all the way to the side.  Unfortunately, I could not figure out a way to fold it without destroying it, which sadly was its fate.  By the way, the tissue I am using is the kind you find in gift boxes which contain clothes.  It is very thin, and has a good deal of strength.  I use it from time to time to simulate seat fabric in 1/48 scale aircraft. 

Wink, I will be spraying the gloss coat on the parts today.  Tomorrow they will get their weathering.  I won't be modeling tonight and Sunday night; the NFL Divisional Playoffs are this weekend, and I have to support my Colts! ;D

Ernest

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #61 on: 16 Jan , 2010, 18:32 »
I think you SHOULD have a curtain in.  It

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #62 on: 17 Jan , 2010, 01:03 »
Good stuff Pat. Really like the tissue method.

I don't know how it would go, but the flag process we use at AMP makes very "pose-able" cloth! The cotton is coated, giving it a bit of stiffness,so you can shape it as needed. happy to send you some Ernest.

The wood veneer is excelent, but you can alos print a photo of wood out on a hi-res inkjet or better, go to a copy shop and have it printed on color laser, usually a shiny silk-paper, every easy to glue and work.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #63 on: 17 Jan , 2010, 06:04 »
Hi Pat and Wink, thanks a bunch for the suggestions.  Pat, I'm going to try using your technique to get a better curtain, wish me luck!

Wink, I did consider using AMP's flag material.  I have two flags still, but I did not want to ruin them to make a curtain.  It is very generous of you to offer to send me some material.  If I can't get Pat's technique to work for me, I will gladly accepts the offer.  I will pay the postal fees.

Ernest

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #64 on: 17 Jan , 2010, 08:08 »
Interesting idea about printing out the wood on paper rokket.  I'd never thought of that but in many applications, especially ones with very tiny places to put it, that sounds like an excellent solution.

I'd still prefer real wood (and this hobby veneer is SO much thinner than normal veneer) for things like a U-boat deck, because it can be stained or even painted and the grain will still show though.

For an unpainted surface, like inside Greif's cabins, the printed version would be much more appropriate.

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #65 on: 17 Jan , 2010, 08:15 »
Weathering and the flat coat is complete.  I used a brown wash for most of the weathering effects.  I did not want to overdo it as my guess is the galley and living qtrs would have been kept fairly clean.  I did some minor dry brushing of the wood areas to give it slightly better depth.  The first shot is of the batteries, like the last photos it is nothing special.  

The aft bulkhead is next, followed by the forward bulkhead and hull top.  The only changes are the addition of a small hand wheel on the top and lights on both the top and over the stove.  The galley follows and again the only addition is a light above the sink.  I opted to crack the door open as fully open it hides the sink completely.  

The final photo is the PO qtrs.  I have placed some bed rolls and one table in addition to the weathering.  The final table will be placed once the figures are installed.  I left the wood areas glossy to simulate varnish.  I am still working on the curtain, no pictures as yet because it is not quite ready for "prime time".

Ernest

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #66 on: 18 Jan , 2010, 01:37 »
Nice, not overdone.

Pat, I agree with you about real wood best for so much. I'd love to hear (and see) more about your decking, and maybe some pix of those sailing ships! Inspire us!

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #67 on: 18 Jan , 2010, 07:22 »
Construction has begun, and it has been anything but smooth.  The first picture is the curtains I made.  The left side is not glued as I have to wait until I install the top because I will have to move the curtain rod slightly to the side to tilt the top into place, then reposition the rod to its correct location.  Glad I checked the fit before gluing. 

The next three pictures were taken after the bulkheads were assembled.  The PO quarters looks pretty good.  I,m going to leave the hull top off until I install the figures and final table.  I have placed the supplies in the WC in the next picture.  I opted not to load the room to the gills as it would block the view behind.  Unsurprisingly prehaps, the hardest part of that little job was figuring out where to place the supplies so they fit.  The final shot is an overhead.  You get a good feel for how tight space is in the build.

There is no picture of the battery compartment.  When I placed it for gluing I had my "WTF?!" moment for the build, immediately followed by the thought, "NASA we have a problem."  It turns out the keel is 3.05 mm too short.  "Maybe I didn't get the bulkheads squared right.", I think.  Out comes the trusty micrometer.  The difference of the distance between the top of the bulkheads and the bottoms is a whopping .204mm.  Out of square is not the problem.  Of course I was not smart enough to do the above measuring BEFORE painting, weathering, etc!  Looks like I'm going to be doing a bit more scratchbuilding.

Enjoy the photos,
Ernest   

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #68 on: 18 Jan , 2010, 10:41 »
Ernest- it looks the biz.
More dirt, grime, and soot!
 ;D

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #69 on: 19 Jan , 2010, 00:33 »
Thanks man!  I fixed the battery compartment and will post a picture later. 

Ernest

Ernest- it looks the biz.
More dirt, grime, and soot!
 ;D

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #70 on: 25 Jan , 2010, 02:03 »
Hi guys, its been a few days since my last post.  I was unable to crash dive in time to avoid a "Honey Do" ASW Task Force, so was busy doing the spouse's bidding for a bit.  I am finished with the Galley/U-Off Qtrs, and the figures for it.  I will post a few pictures once the upload folder is expanded enough to add photos.  I'll be taking a short break from this project to build Eduard's DVa in 1/48 scale.  For those of you who are interested I will be doing a build report in the "Luftwaffe" section.

Ernest

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #71 on: 25 Jan , 2010, 06:21 »
Hello Ernest,

No escape from the "Minister of the Interior", best just to accept your fate and comply with her demands.  Actually, I have no complaints - approaching 26th anniversary and things just keep getting better!

Cheers,

Bill

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #72 on: 25 Jan , 2010, 07:22 »
Hi Bill, I'm thankfully in the same boat as you.  We're I few years behind, this year will be number 22 for my bride and I; and those years have be great! 

Ernest 

Hello Ernest,

No escape from the "Minister of the Interior", best just to accept your fate and comply with her demands.  Actually, I have no complaints - approaching 26th anniversary and things just keep getting better!

Cheers,

Bill

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #73 on: 25 Jan , 2010, 15:56 »
STILL, any problems with having a weekend harem instead? Do as you wish M-F, fun on weekend, repeat...Sooo many advantages...

If I combine this with my time machine, all should be well!

Offline billp51d

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #74 on: 26 Jan , 2010, 04:10 »
       ..Lets hear it for the harem....