Author Topic: Greif's New Uboot Project  (Read 24536 times)

kklee6

Re: Greif's New Uboot Project
« Reply #45 on: 11 Jan , 2010, 22:48 »
Bill, thank you for the kind comment.  Rokket, thank you for the tips.  I DL'ed a photo editor and I am learning how to use both it and some of the advanced features of my camera.  The below photos are improved, but I still have a ways to go.

General construction is finished and the parts are ready for priming.  The first shows the remainder of the lines I ran on the portside wall.  The next is the U-Off quarters floor showing the floor plates for the tables that I scratchbuilt.  The rough looking round objects will hold the table pedestal round; once constrcution is finished they will not be seen.  The scratchbuilt tables are next.  Finally for this post, the forward bulkhead is shown.  I did not do much detailing here as the part is pretty accurate.  The instructions call for a handwheel that did not exist in the real Type VII's so I left it off.  Part 2 follows in the next post.

Ernest

I was puzzled how Nazis German could get a can of coke! ???
Then I noticed that it was on the background, not part of the diorama.  ;D

Excellent piece of work, Ernest.

KK

« Last Edit: 11 Jan , 2010, 22:53 by kklee6 »

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #46 on: 12 Jan , 2010, 09:56 »
Thanks buddy!

Ernest

Bill, thank you for the kind comment.  Rokket, thank you for the tips.  I DL'ed a photo editor and I am learning how to use both it and some of the advanced features of my camera.  The below photos are improved, but I still have a ways to go.

General construction is finished and the parts are ready for priming.  The first shows the remainder of the lines I ran on the portside wall.  The next is the U-Off quarters floor showing the floor plates for the tables that I scratchbuilt.  The rough looking round objects will hold the table pedestal round; once constrcution is finished they will not be seen.  The scratchbuilt tables are next.  Finally for this post, the forward bulkhead is shown.  I did not do much detailing here as the part is pretty accurate.  The instructions call for a handwheel that did not exist in the real Type VII's so I left it off.  Part 2 follows in the next post.

Ernest

I was puzzled how Nazis German could get a can of coke! ???
Then I noticed that it was on the background, not part of the diorama.  ;D

Excellent piece of work, Ernest.

KK

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #47 on: 13 Jan , 2010, 00:55 »
Photos and build looking great!

Coke and Germany -I don't have all the details, but I'm pretty sure Coke had a plant in Germany and was a 1936 Olympics sponsor. There's a tale that the German head ran out of supplies and created what he could, calling it Fanta. Could be full of holes story, but I think it's safe to say Coke was in Europe in the 40s.

Of course it would have been a bottle, maybe that was the joke and I didn't get it!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

kklee6

« Reply #48 on: 13 Jan , 2010, 01:39 »
Photos and build looking great!

Coke and Germany -I don't have all the details, but I'm pretty sure Coke had a plant in Germany and was a 1936 Olympics sponsor. There's a tale that the German head ran out of supplies and created what he could, calling it Fanta. Could be full of holes story, but I think it's safe to say Coke was in Europe in the 40s.

Of course it would have been a bottle, maybe that was the joke and I didn't get it!

Thanks for the interesting input.

I also heard that Coca Cola signed a contract with the military during WWII that they guaranteed supply of coke to all parts of the world where there were American troops.

KK

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #49 on: 13 Jan , 2010, 16:24 »
Regarding Coca Cola and enemy troops, here's an article that might prove interesting.  (A different sort of a diorama topic for aircraft modellers too).

http://xroads.virginia.edu/~CLASS/coke/coke2.html

And yes, it DOES say that Fanta was invented in Germany by Max Keith who got himself "appointed to the Office of Enemy Property to supervise all soft drink plants, both in Germany and the captured teritory".

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #50 on: 14 Jan , 2010, 01:25 »
I think Keith is praised by Coke for not becomign a Nazi or stealing the new drink for himself...?

KK - just read too that same thing, something like "American troops must be able to buy coke anywhere we are for no more than 5 cents!" think it was a Coke President. Found a list of slogans through the years of WWII:

Coca-Cola goes along
Make lunch time refreshment time
Makes travel more pleasan
The drink everybody knows
Thirst stops here

Bring in your thirst and go away without it
The package that gets a welcome at home
Try it just once and you will know why

A stop that belongs on your daily timetable
Completely refreshing

The only thing like Coca-Cola is Coca-Cola itself
Refreshment that can't be duplicated
Wherever you are, whatever you do, wherever you may be, when you think refreshment, think ice-cold Coca-Cola

1943 That extra something
A taste all its own
The only thing like Coca-Cola is Coca-Cola itself
It's the real thing

How about a Coke
High sign of friendship
A moment on the sunnyside

Whenever you hear "Have a Coke," you hear the voice of America
 Passport to refreshment
Happy moment of hospitality
Coke means Coca-Cola

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #51 on: 14 Jan , 2010, 01:25 »
Standing by for next build/pic installment...with a can of coke

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #52 on: 14 Jan , 2010, 02:30 »
Not much to report on the build.  I primed everything and sprayed the batteries with Tamiya Nato Black.  Pretty mundane stuff, not worth pictures.  I'll post some photos once painting and weathering are complete.

Ernest

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #53 on: 15 Jan , 2010, 12:31 »
General and detail painting complete part 1:

As the title said I am "mostly" finished painting.  The shots show the model before the gloss coat and weathering. 

Photo 1 is of the battery, not much of interest to see.  Photo 2 shows the forward bulkhead, again nothing special to see.  Photo 3 is the aft bulkhead.  The stove turned out well, it gets its own detail shot in photo 4.  The final photo in part one shows the painted hull roof.  I opted to not do much detail painting.  As you will see in part two, the PO quarters wood paneling is rather dark.  I decided to leave the top as light as possible for brightness.

Enjoy,
Ernest

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #54 on: 15 Jan , 2010, 12:43 »
Painting Complete Part Two:

Photo 1 shows the Galley, with focus on the sink.  The picture does not show it well, but the sink is painted a stainless steel color; just like the stovetop.  Photos 2 is a closeup of the sink.  Photo 3 is the PO quarters.  After priming I sprayed the wood areas with a sand colored paint.  After it had cured overnight I brush painted those areas with a mix of raw umber, burnt sienna and yellow ochre to simulate wood grain.  I like the somewhat warm character it gives the wood areas.  The last picture is a close up of one of the tables I scratch built after painting it using the same process as above.  I have already applied a coat of gloss (future).  Though the wood grain effect is not as good in 1/72 scale as 1/48 or 1/35, it is still pretty convincing.  Overall I am pleased thus far.

Ernest

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #55 on: 15 Jan , 2010, 13:49 »
Final update for today.  The two photos show a curtain I made out of very thin tissue paper and thin copper wire made into hoops. I stiffened the tissue with a thin coat of white glue and shaped it pnce the glue was dry.  I then inserted the copper hoops and hung it on a piece of evergreen rod painted aluminum.  The curtain is only provisionally placed.  To be honest I am not sure if I am going to use it.  I worked pretty hard to get the right color tone for the simulated wood and one part of me says it would be ashamed to hide almost half of it.  The part says, "Dude the curtain looks pretty sweet.  It would add life to the room.

What do you guys think?  Curtain or no curtain?

Ernest 

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #56 on: 15 Jan , 2010, 14:49 »
I like the curtain, but could you reposition it so that it is open more?  Maybe about 3/4 open so most of the wood detail is visible along with the curtain effect.  Of course, this probably involves a lot more work for you!

Either way you go it is coming along very nicely.

Bill

kklee6

« Reply #57 on: 15 Jan , 2010, 17:15 »
Hi, Ernest

I like the curtain too.
The whole diorama looks good with the curtain.

Maybe, as Bill said, you can leave it 3/4 open to display the interior details.

KK

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #58 on: 15 Jan , 2010, 19:32 »
Yes for the curtain. I like them!! I think I will made curtains to my drawing now  :)

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #59 on: 16 Jan , 2010, 00:49 »
Curtain, and all of it, EXCELLENT!

Can I suggest a wash of grime in the nooks and crannies, and a grease-stained grubby hand print here and there?