Author Topic: u-564 my first babysteps in u-boats  (Read 3919 times)

Offline Roel

• Lieutenant (jg)
Re: u-564 my first babysteps in u-boats
« Reply #15 on: 14 Nov , 2015, 17:27 »
After examining all the drawings, I can say that the CMK engine room model is definitely flawed in a number of ways. The location of several parts is just plain incorrect, a lot of pieces on the engine are simply not there and it has been mislabeled in the build manual.... Now to figure out how to scratch build this in a proper way adding some of the missing part and tubes/valves

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: 14 Nov , 2015, 20:16 »
with enough old plastic cards and spru you can do just about anything. I am sure you can rework it.
I used to pick up spare plastic cards from motels. i would ask the receptionist if she could spare some blank plastic card keys , and then explain why, i would usually get like 4 or 5.
Thrift stores often have a bunch of broken printers out back, their plastic casings can be used for modeling also.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #17 on: 15 Nov , 2015, 01:07 »
Modeling mainengine.
As long as you don`t have access to a 3 D printer you may use the polystyrene which you find in many packingboxes. Cut it in suitable blocks, glue it together in an approximate shape, cover it with epoxy plastic and do the finishing by filing and sanding. I have done this on my modification of the Revell VIIC 1:72 kit to make the Norwegian superstructure/ Tower.
 You could use the exhaust- and inletvalves belonging to the kit. However most of the engine room installation consist of pipes and valves. It is impossible at this scale to incorporate all, but you should try to accommodate the common exhaust pipe along the engine eventually to the pressurehull which include the inner main exhaust valve being fairly dominating aft of the engine. I have discussed this in detail with Simon in my thread a year or two back. Correct arrangement of the crankcase- and camshaftdoors are easy to make by thin sheet plastic.
Tore 
« Last Edit: 15 Nov , 2015, 01:13 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #18 on: 15 Nov , 2015, 01:57 »
Below is the part of my model made of epoxy covered polystyrene .
Tore
« Last Edit: 15 Nov , 2015, 01:59 by tore »

Offline Roel

• Lieutenant (jg)
« Reply #19 on: 15 Nov , 2015, 03:15 »
Thank you for all the tips! I just need to figure out now where to start from, but yes the exhaust pipe is very dominant and should be part of it. That is completely logical:)
I am going to go to a hobbyshop in another city to see what kind of evergreen stuff they have. I have used some of that kind of material before, so I may try to do it also here.
I also found a terrific aid to help me do the scaling on the parts, maybe useful for others too: http://scale-models.nl/scalc.html
I helps you calculate scales:)

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: 16 Nov , 2015, 13:29 »
Hi Roel et al,

I use this from my windows desktop just unzip and run, no installing required.

Regards
Jon
"Here's Peter Jason Quill, He's also called Starlord",
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Offline Roel

• Lieutenant (jg)
« Reply #21 on: 17 Nov , 2015, 01:34 »
Thank you! This will come in very handy:) Now only if I could find some time. That is now the issue, but well patience is a true virtue