Author Topic: Greif's New Uboot Project  (Read 24477 times)

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
Re: Greif's New Uboot Project
« Reply #75 on: 26 Jan , 2010, 09:45 »
Hi guys, following are the pictures I promised.    The first shot shows the Engine Room with figures. The second shows the curtains I made, they turned out fairly well. The next three pictures are of the completed Galley/U-Offraum with figures.    The 3.05mm addition I had to make to the keel because it was too short turned out very well and is impossible to see.  I am pretty pleased with the end result overall, though I wish one could see more of the sink I worked so hard to scratchbuild.

Enjoy,
Ernest
« Last Edit: 26 Jan , 2010, 13:40 by Greif »

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #76 on: 27 Jan , 2010, 21:33 »
Beautiful work Greif!!!

Sorry I've been gone so long.  My computer crashed again and has been in the shop several times in the past couple of weeks.  Makes it difficult to keep up with things.  Using a library computer, I couldn't even get into the site to post.

Anyway, one tiny suggestion.

In the pic with the curtain, I see a row of drawer fronts under the top bunk.  In real boats, there has to be some sort of method to stop the drawers from sliding out and dumping themselves and their contents on the deck when the boat rolls in heavy seas.

They might have used keys, but I sort of doubt it since that would make them difficult to open if the lights were malfunctioning, so the two most likely methods are to have a lip on the track that the drawer had to be lifted over, or they'd have an inside catch that was released by sticking your finger through a hole and pulling on a spring-loaded catch.

I'd vote for the hole in the drawer since that one is almost foolproof and won't release even under a strong shock (like a depth charge going off nearby).  That's also the most common method still used today in most boats that I've been on.

It also means that you don't have to have any sort of handle on the outside to pull the drawers open with, which would just be something else to catch an elbow or loose clothing on.

Simple to make.  Just drill a finger-sized hole in the middle of each drawer near the top.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #77 on: 27 Jan , 2010, 22:28 »
They might have used keys, but I sort of doubt it since that would make them difficult to open if the lights were malfunctioning, so the two most likely methods are to have a lip on the track that the drawer had to be lifted over, or they'd have an inside catch that was released by sticking your finger through a hole and pulling on a spring-loaded catch.

I'd vote for the hole in the drawer since that one is almost foolproof and won't release even under a strong shock (like a depth charge going off nearby).  That's also the most common method still used today in most boats that I've been on.

It also means that you don't have to have any sort of handle on the outside to pull the drawers open with, which would just be something else to catch an elbow or loose clothing on.

Simple to make.  Just drill a finger-sized hole in the middle of each drawer near the top.

In U-995 they used small keys  :)

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #78 on: 30 Jan , 2010, 15:07 »
Really good stuff, excellent!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #79 on: 24 May , 2010, 14:58 »
Beautiful work Greif!!!

Sorry I've been gone so long.  My computer crashed again and has been in the shop several times in the past couple of weeks.  Makes it difficult to keep up with things.  Using a library computer, I couldn't even get into the site to post.

Anyway, one tiny suggestion.

In the pic with the curtain, I see a row of drawer fronts under the top bunk.  In real boats, there has to be some sort of method to stop the drawers from sliding out and dumping themselves and their contents on the deck when the boat rolls in heavy seas.

I found this in the Design Study of Former German Submarine  - Type IXC Report 2G-9C. I know its for a Type IX but I imagine it very similar to the Type VIIC’s

Crew's quarters were located in the forward and after torpedo rooms. In the forward torpedo room there were ten folding berths and 28 lockers. In the after torpedo room were eight folding berths and eighteen lockers. A table is shown on the plans, for each torpedo room, but none has been found on any vessel. All joiner work was of wood, and all lockers of every type were locked by means of bitt keys.

http://www.uboatarchive.net/DesignStudiesTypeIXC.htm

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #80 on: 25 May , 2010, 03:08 »
Hi Simon, thank you for the information.  It will come in handy when I start work on the Forward Torpedo Room.

Ernest

Los_Santos_Reyes

« Reply #81 on: 26 May , 2010, 10:05 »
Hi all!

This is my first post in this forum. I

UrpoK

« Reply #82 on: 26 May , 2010, 13:41 »
Crew's quarters were located in the forward and after torpedo rooms. In the forward torpedo room there were ten folding berths and 28 lockers. In the after torpedo room were eight folding berths and eighteen lockers. A table is shown on the plans, for each torpedo room, but none has been found on any vessel. All joiner work was of wood, and all lockers of every type were locked by means of bitt keys.

Hi guys,

Again I have photos only from Vesikko / Type II.
I hope these are anyhow interesting ones.
I guess the lockers in Type VII were basically similar.

Hera is two photos of wooden lockers of Vesikko.
The first one is from bow officers / ratings quarters.
Lockers for crew are painted with white; lockers for officers have teak coating.

The second one is taken from stern ratings quarters.

The table of Vesikko still exists.

Timo

UrpoK

« Reply #83 on: 27 May , 2010, 00:50 »
Here is one image more from Vesikko stern ratings quarters.
This is the same locker but door closed.

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #84 on: 27 May , 2010, 02:01 »
Thank you for the kind comments.  I am sure your work will be just as nice!

Ernest

Hi all!

This is my first post in this forum. I

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #85 on: 27 May , 2010, 02:08 »
Thanks for the photos Timo.  They will come in handy when I build the Forward Torpedo Room.

Ernest

Here is one image more from Vesikko stern ratings quarters.
This is the same locker but door closed.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #86 on: 27 May , 2010, 02:15 »
Interesting stuff
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Pepper-mint

• Commander
  • U-1299
« Reply #87 on: 02 Jun , 2010, 10:14 »
Greif, amazing work. I love it ! I'm staying tuned  ;)
On the W.bench :
Books, pics, drawings, styrene, dreams and :

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #88 on: 31 Jul , 2014, 01:14 »
Admiring your work Grief. Hope you are well.