Author Topic: U-352 build log  (Read 33229 times)

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
Re: U-352 build log
« Reply #30 on: 10 Apr , 2013, 06:44 »
OldNoob -
That is not a bad job! In fact... well done!
Christopher

Thanks Christopher

And the insanity continues....

TopherVIIC

« Reply #31 on: 10 Apr , 2013, 07:41 »
OldNoob -
I have found if you sand the inboard edges of the torpedo doors they look a little more realistic and prototype...
They were only some 5 mm in real life... so in scale...1:48 or 1:72  the edges should be quite thin...
Christopher
« Last Edit: 10 Apr , 2013, 07:43 by TopherVIIC »

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #32 on: 10 Apr , 2013, 08:22 »
OldNoob -
I have found if you sand the inboard edges of the torpedo doors they look a little more realistic and prototype...
They were only some 5 mm in real life... so in scale...1:48 or 1:72  the edges should be quite thin...
Christopher
Thanks for that advice. I made the mistake of gluing them shut though. ::)
i may fill the door gap some and make the doors a little bit flusher with the hull.

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #33 on: 10 Apr , 2013, 08:28 »
Anyone know of better filler than the green stuff?
Seems it was the only filler the nearest hobby shop had.
It's apparent i will have to order something online.

The green putty is just too thick to spread. Fast drying is not a priority, smooth spreading is.

Thinking of getting this product.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-05095-Acryl-White-Putty-Tube/dp/B003P6I5KS
« Last Edit: 10 Apr , 2013, 08:50 by OldNoob »

TopherVIIC

« Reply #34 on: 10 Apr , 2013, 08:37 »
OldNoob -
Cutex, MEK and other thinners can work well for thinning Green Putty.I use Nail Polish Remover to thin my putty. It works well, but be careful you do not mix it so strong it eats the plastic you are working with. Also be careful of fumes... Fumes are not good.
Christopher

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #35 on: 12 Apr , 2013, 02:44 »
Excellent job w the bow repair OldNoob!
If you use gunze or tamya putties u can dilute them w their proper thinners or w liquid glue.
Congrats w the work done so far, keep it upp!

SG

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #36 on: 16 Apr , 2013, 05:58 »
Im wondering if i keep pursuing historical accuracy if the model will get worse and worse looking LOL.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #37 on: 16 Apr , 2013, 11:18 »
Hi OldNoob.
Rivets seems to be a detail which have the interest of modelbuilders. I remember the rivets as hardly visible and to my opinion Revell  made the rivets too large. When you brownwash the surface some of the models looks like a tank from WW1. Below is my last VIIC (ex U 926) in a very revealling light. As you see the rivets are hardly visible. The second photo is a close up of my first VIIC (ex 995) which clearly shows the small rivets. As you see the struts ( some parts double riveted) are much more visible than the rivets. Ignore the upper casingplates they are incorrectly welded during restoration and have no rivets. To my opinion the ordinary welding seams on the pressurehull and saddletanks are more visible than the rivets.
Tore

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #38 on: 16 Apr , 2013, 19:55 »
Hi OldNoob.
Rivets seems to be a detail which have the interest of modelbuilders. I remember the rivets as hardly visible and to my opinion Revell  made the rivets too large. When you brownwash the surface some of the models looks like a tank from WW1. Below is my last VIIC (ex U 926) in a very revealling light. As you see the rivets are hardly visible. The second photo is a close up of my first VIIC (ex 995) which clearly shows the small rivets. As you see the struts ( some parts double riveted) are much more visible than the rivets. Ignore the upper casingplates they are incorrectly welded during restoration and have no rivets. To my opinion the ordinary welding seams on the pressurehull and saddletanks are more visible than the rivets.
Tore

That is Helpful and Welcome news!

i will be using possibly more than the recommended amount of paint to cover some of my errors in some areas. so maybe the rivets wont be as pronounced.
 I was thinking also as i looked at the model. the rivets did look more like a WWI sub than WWII subs

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #39 on: 16 Apr , 2013, 20:12 »
Ordered some Tamiya White putty.
 My Green MMD putty has turned rock hard, in the tube, after only a month from purchase. >:(

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #40 on: 17 Apr , 2013, 02:56 »
This is wrong!

Im not sure this is something i can correct.

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #41 on: 17 Apr , 2013, 05:53 »
exhaust vent and rear spill gate mod

not sure if this is entirely accurate.

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #42 on: 17 Apr , 2013, 06:27 »
You guys think this vent is just obscured from view or that it is actually not there?

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #43 on: 19 Apr , 2013, 18:43 »
Probably not there, some configs didn't cut all the "regular" floods. See the AMP Wolf Pack, also for info on exhaust and the saddle tank. here's some shots of my 557.

AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

TopherVIIC

« Reply #44 on: 20 Apr , 2013, 10:16 »
That was a nice build Rokket!
I look forward to when I can get back to my 1:35th scale cut-away. I use refs like your build as most excellent inspiration! I need to get one of these whole ships.
Christopher