Author Topic: U-352 build log  (Read 33232 times)

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
Re: U-352 build log
« Reply #15 on: 07 Apr , 2013, 13:51 »

My Kingdom for a set of mico files!

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: 07 Apr , 2013, 13:53 »
   OldNoob....Have you checked this out... May help..

http://uboat.net/boats/u352.htm                 

Cheers/Regards  Bill
Thank You Bill. all help appreciated.

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: 07 Apr , 2013, 14:43 »
I'm just guessing with this one.

Offline VonStigler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 07 Apr , 2013, 21:05 »
U 132 had a Nazi symbol on the coat of arms. Here's a link, but the full pic (with Kapitan-leutnant Vogelsang sitting on compass housing) is in Squadron's "U boats in Action".

Cheers

That is actually an NSRL emblem, stands for Nationalsozialistischer Reichsbund f

Offline VonStigler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 07 Apr , 2013, 21:18 »
Noob,
According to U-boat.net and others, the emblem on U-352 was the coat of arms of the city of Flensburg.
I have had OK results printing the emblems on to decal paper or even water slide film for the obscure boats I have built.  Let me know if you need a sheet of the water slide film, I have more than I could ever use because I had to buy something like 15 sheets minimum. 
Regards,
Brian

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: 07 Apr , 2013, 22:30 »
Noob,
According to U-boat.net and others, the emblem on U-352 was the coat of arms of the city of Flensburg.
I have had OK results printing the emblems on to decal paper or even water slide film for the obscure boats I have built.  Let me know if you need a sheet of the water slide film, I have more than I could ever use because I had to buy something like 15 sheets minimum. 
Regards,
Brian
Thank you i really appreciate the help and offer. I will keep that in mind , though it may take months before i am at that point in the build . LOL
« Last Edit: 07 Apr , 2013, 22:32 by OldNoob »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #21 on: 08 Apr , 2013, 00:50 »
ARRRRG! So what is the best way to repair the rivets? Been modifying the front spillways or Flood vents.

Don't think i will move the Anchor bay.
 I'm just not skilled enough to do it.

Hi OldNoob.
I noticed  you was reluctant to move the ancorbay, which is a pity. I changed it without too much modelling experience I was astonished how easy it was.
If you look at the photo I made of the old U- 995 back in 1953 you clearly see the anchor chain almost touching the hydroplane guard, with the Revell solution the anchor shall hit the hydroplane. I understand you are keen on accuracy, to me this detail is important.
Tore

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: 08 Apr , 2013, 22:12 »
Hi OldNoob.
I noticed  you was reluctant to move the ancorbay, which is a pity. I changed it without too much modelling experience I was astonished how easy it was.
If you look at the photo I made of the old U- 995 back in 1953 you clearly see the anchor chain almost touching the hydroplane guard, with the Revell solution the anchor shall hit the hydroplane. I understand you are keen on accuracy, to me this detail is important.
Tore

I am reconsidering it Tore. I'm going to have to replace the area around the circular vents due to too many misplaced drill holes. i just cant get a clean hole in the green putty.
So I may just go all out and rebuild that whole area.  if i can figure out how to re-rivet it all.
(Plasti-Card collection is being readied)
Goodness guys this stuff is hard! i may have A.D.D. LOL
« Last Edit: 08 Apr , 2013, 22:15 by OldNoob »

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: 08 Apr , 2013, 22:55 »
Wrong tool for shaky hands

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #24 on: 08 Apr , 2013, 23:49 »
Hi OldNoob.
You `ll manage, even if 99 % of the people admiring you finished model would not notice, you, having the knowledge, shall have the satisfaction of a correct boat. While being on the subject of green putty, if you have a closer look at my photo you shall see the starboard upper bow floodgates are not 3 as on your model, but 2. On the port side you have 3. These funny details are on all VIICs except present days U-995 which for some reason has wrongly 3 floodgates on each side.
Tore
« Last Edit: 09 Apr , 2013, 01:53 by tore »

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #25 on: 09 Apr , 2013, 01:37 »
Hi OldNoob.
You `ll managed, even if 99 % of the people admiring you finished model would not notice, you, having the knowledge, shall have the satisfaction of a correct boat. While being on the subject of green putty, if you have a closer look at my photo you shall see the starboard upper bow floodgates are not 3 as on your model, but 2. On the port side you have 3. These funny detail are on all VIICs except present days U-995 which for some reason has wrongly 3 floodgates on each side.
Tore
Thanks Tore.  Covering one flood gate just might be easier than drilling new ones, maybe i'll tackle that first . LOL
 ;D

Offline VonStigler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: 09 Apr , 2013, 06:11 »
If you press fit and glue styrene rod into the old flood holes it will make drilling out new holes much easier where some of them overlap.  I has the same issue when trying to fill with putty and drill.  Also you might want to check out Bondo brand glazing/spot putty, it is available at any auto parts store and seems to harden up a little better that the squadron green. 
If you are really concerned with accuracy at the bow of your boat you should check out the WEM floods and templates https://www.whiteensignmodels.com/p/WEM+172+Type+VII+UBoat+Flood+Drain+and+Vent+Holes+PE+7232/5432/#.UWQDssu9KK0 I was quite intimidated the first time I used this set but it turned out great.
« Last Edit: 09 Apr , 2013, 06:13 by VonStigler »

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #27 on: 10 Apr , 2013, 02:40 »
If you press fit and glue styrene rod into the old flood holes it will make drilling out new holes much easier where some of them overlap.  I has the same issue when trying to fill with putty and drill.  Also you might want to check out Bondo brand glazing/spot putty, it is available at any auto parts store and seems to harden up a little better that the squadron green. 
If you are really concerned with accuracy at the bow of your boat you should check out the WEM floods and templates https://www.whiteensignmodels.com/p/WEM+172+Type+VII+UBoat+Flood+Drain+and+Vent+Holes+PE+7232/5432/#.UWQDssu9KK0 I was quite intimidated the first time I used this set but it turned out great.

Awesome tip thank you.

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #28 on: 10 Apr , 2013, 02:41 »
How to go blind quickly.

This may not be the path i want to go.
« Last Edit: 10 Apr , 2013, 02:42 by OldNoob »

TopherVIIC

« Reply #29 on: 10 Apr , 2013, 04:37 »
OldNoob -
That is not a bad job! In fact... well done!
Christopher