Author Topic: U-352 build log  (Read 33231 times)

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
U-352 build log
« on: 29 Mar , 2013, 12:47 »
Ok so here i go.
Im having a very hard time finding enough visual data to make an accurate model,, which is frustrating since this is a forum dedicated to Accuracy, I hope it will be ok.

So i have joined the hull and primed it.

As you can see there are still some modifications to the spill vents needed but i got impatient .

next- wrapping my mind around the best way to do the brass deck.

Also: Captain Rathke drew a Nazi coat of arms on the conning tower in his painting. Any thoughts on that?
« Last Edit: 06 Apr , 2013, 22:10 by OldNoob »

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Re: U-352 build log
« Reply #1 on: 30 Mar , 2013, 21:51 »
Howdy - well begun is half done! (Although, seriously, these boats are a lot of work!)

There's a lot of info (including visual) in the AMP library: http://amp.rokket.biz/lib_uboats.shtml, especially the Illustrated Guide to Uboat Research and Dougie's amazing The Wolf Pack. Those should pretty much get you everything you need to actually build a 1:1 boat. (Just add a few million 1930s dollars and some steel.)

Coat of Arms - well, for my money, if you're doing U352, then you're doing U352 the way she was. I'd go for it. At AMP, we reproduce the war flag/ Kriegsmarine flag with the Hakenkreuz, but do not do the Nazi Party flag. We offer a non historic alternative with an Iron Cross, which has the flavor without the symbol. You could so that on the coat of arms.

Perhaps it is the intention (history) behind what we build and display, but balanced with the end-effect. That said, what made you choose 352? There's the whole range of why here: some folks chose a boat because of the history, or a connection somehow to that boat, others because of "it's a good boat/cool accessories".

Keep pprogress pix!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: 01 Apr , 2013, 20:01 »
Well i guess my question was kind of vague. i wasn't totally asking with regard a political, or moral issue, but rather a accuracy issue. Below is the captains painting showing a very pronounced plaque on the front of the tower. I have yet to see it in an actual photo. Then again,, maybe those are just vents of some kind.
« Last Edit: 01 Apr , 2013, 20:23 by OldNoob »

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: 01 Apr , 2013, 20:15 »

Perhaps it is the intention (history) behind what we build and display, but balanced with the end-effect. That said, what made you choose 352? There's the whole range of why here: some folks chose a boat because of the history, or a connection somehow to that boat, others because of "it's a good boat/cool accessories".

Keep pprogress pix!

Well it is the, officially documented, U-boat wreck nearest to my location.
And i like the fact that many of the crew got off before it sank, considering the odds stacked against  U-boat crewman.
If recall correctly 3/4ths of all German u-boat crews did not make it through the second world war alive.

« Last Edit: 07 Apr , 2013, 14:07 by OldNoob »

Offline billp51d

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #4 on: 02 Apr , 2013, 04:30 »
   OldNoob....Have you checked this out... May help..

http://uboat.net/boats/u352.htm                 

Cheers/Regards  Bill
« Last Edit: 02 Apr , 2013, 04:36 by billp51d »

Offline VonStigler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 02 Apr , 2013, 05:20 »
Be aware that many artistic renderings and even souveniers and other collectibles from the time can be very inaccurate.  The eagle with swastika plaque shown in the painting I would bet was not on the original boat but added for flair, reminiscent of the bronze eagles used on some of the pre-war type II boats.  I would personally need more proof like a picture or some other documentation before building a model with that in mind.
Regards,
Brian

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #6 on: 03 Apr , 2013, 11:15 »
Hey OldNoob!
I knew i had something for you somewhere in my place (Thx Bill for reminding me!! ;D )
From "Dive into history Vol 3: U-Boats", enjoy:

(U-352's 20 mm anti-aircraft Gun. Salvaged in 1975)

« Last Edit: 03 Apr , 2013, 11:22 by SG »

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: 04 Apr , 2013, 00:37 »
Hey OldNoob!
I knew i had something for you somewhere in my place (Thx Bill for reminding me!! ;D )
From "Dive into history Vol 3: U-Boats", enjoy:

(U-352's 20 mm anti-aircraft Gun. Salvaged in 1975)

Very NICE ! and Helpful Thank You.
« Last Edit: 06 Apr , 2013, 22:14 by OldNoob »

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: 04 Apr , 2013, 00:38 »
   OldNoob....Have you checked this out... May help..

http://uboat.net/boats/u352.htm                 

Cheers/Regards  Bill
Thank You

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: 04 Apr , 2013, 00:49 »
Definitely some flood vent reworking needed.

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: 04 Apr , 2013, 01:25 »
If appears that gun may have been painted black

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #11 on: 06 Apr , 2013, 18:01 »
U 132 had a Nazi symbol on the coat of arms. Here's a link, but the full pic (with Kapitan-leutnant Vogelsang sitting on compass housing) is in Squadron's "U boats in Action".

Cheers
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: 06 Apr , 2013, 21:55 »
U 132 had a Nazi symbol on the coat of arms. Here's a link, but the full pic (with Kapitan-leutnant Vogelsang sitting on compass housing) is in Squadron's "U boats in Action".
Cheers
Thank you.
Im wondering if the U-352 even had one displayed. and if it did was it on the front. or on the forward-side of the CT.
humm.
« Last Edit: 06 Apr , 2013, 22:13 by OldNoob »

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: 06 Apr , 2013, 21:59 »
ARRRRG! So what is the best way to repair the rivets? Been modifying the front spillways or Flood vents.

Don't think i will move the Anchor bay.
 I'm just not skilled enough to do it.

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: 06 Apr , 2013, 22:15 »
Be aware that many artistic renderings and even souveniers and other collectibles from the time can be very inaccurate.  The eagle with swastika plaque shown in the painting I would bet was not on the original boat but added for flair, reminiscent of the bronze eagles used on some of the pre-war type II boats.  I would personally need more proof like a picture or some other documentation before building a model with that in mind.
Regards,
Brian
Thank You