Author Topic: VIIC "On the Ways"  (Read 77867 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: VIIC "On the Ways"
« Reply #60 on: 26 Jan , 2012, 13:03 »
I guess is that is probably why you call it Fjordland, we call Norway the land of fjords. The major difference though is that most of it is above the polar circle and during the cold war year a little too close to the related activities.
regard Tore

I think a big different between the Norway and New Zealand fjords is the rainfall, we have extreme rainfall (between 8 m to 15 m a year).  I live only about 60 km away from a place that get between 18 to 20 m of rain a year but where I live we only get about 2 m a year :D

Good heavens,  I hope you get it mostly as rain and not snow otherwise you could end up with some 150 meters of snow. We think 5-6 meters of snow up in the montains is enough.
regards
Tore

TopherVIIC

« Reply #61 on: 26 Jan , 2012, 13:08 »

...Deligthed to hear you are, I presume, a PADI divemaste...

Tore, I am indeed a PADI divemaster. We could no doubt start a whole new thread based on diving (we are, after all, miniature submarines in that aspect, and have a lot of similarities with our bigger steel brothers!)

...So the the good old VIIC was ticklish but with some speed you could hold her within limits by the hydroplanes...

would there be times when you would have to hold her dead still, submerged? I would suspect that even single crew moving from compartment to compartment could upset the trim a bit.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #62 on: 26 Jan , 2012, 13:51 »
I guess is that is probably why you call it Fjordland, we call Norway the land of fjords. The major difference though is that most of it is above the polar circle and during the cold war year a little too close to the related activities.
regard Tore

I think a big different between the Norway and New Zealand fjords is the rainfall, we have extreme rainfall (between 8 m to 15 m a year).  I live only about 60 km away from a place that get between 18 to 20 m of rain a year but where I live we only get about 2 m a year :D

Good heavens,  I hope you get it mostly as rain and not snow otherwise you could end up with some 150 meters of snow. We think 5-6 meters of snow up in the montains is enough.
regards
Tore

In some part of the mountains in the South Island, they get over 60 m of a snow a year  ;D

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #63 on: 26 Jan , 2012, 13:57 »

...Deligthed to hear you are, I presume, a PADI divemaste...

Tore, I am indeed a PADI divemaster. We could no doubt start a whole new thread based on diving (we are, after all, miniature submarines in that aspect, and have a lot of similarities with our bigger steel brothers!)

...So the the good old VIIC was ticklish but with some speed you could hold her within limits by the hydroplanes...

would there be times when you would have to hold her dead still, submerged? I would suspect that even single crew moving from compartment to compartment could upset the trim a bit.

Yes,apart from the very advanced "hanging" underneath a different salinity/temperaturlayer an absolute dead silent condition could be nessecary in other places.We had silent running procedure which means you could hold her by hydroplanes at a very low speed, the VIIC`s had bad steelpropellors susceptible to pittings and could easely produce noise, so the safest way would be to put her on the seabed. All auxiliaries were mounted on rubber chocks and tools were rubbercoated. The crew moved silent around only when absolutely necessary, Das Boot gives an excellent example of this condition. We had noisetrials every so so often and each auxiliary got its "noise certificate" but we shut off all nonessentials including ventilationfans. Yes noise is a subs worst enemy.
regards Tore

TopherVIIC

« Reply #64 on: 28 Jan , 2012, 20:07 »
I am 99% sure that the way I was going to do the hp impulse tanks for Rohr 1-4 was not correct. I ripped out my improper tanks, repaired my welded t bulb druck

TopherVIIC

« Reply #65 on: 28 Jan , 2012, 20:12 »
I have also figured out a way to add the detail I need to introduce to the visible portions of the Rohr as seen from my cut-away. Again, I will post pics tomorrow after trials.

Lastly, adding electrical cable in the various ribs, and working on air plumbing for the visible portions of all fwd tubes..

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #66 on: 31 Jan , 2012, 01:25 »
Hi Christopher

It look like that you may have miss a man hole cover on this bulkhead.

TopherVIIC

« Reply #67 on: 31 Jan , 2012, 05:32 »
It looks like the manhole you are referring to is about the same configuration as the one on "E" deck as far as size and bolt configuration. Where did you get that reference Simon? How high was it above the base of "E" deck? Do you have a drawing that you used to generate your image?
Christopher

bracco_n

« Reply #68 on: 31 Jan , 2012, 09:06 »
These photos might be of interest to many of you:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/museenavaldequebec/4885344669/in/set-72157624710763308/

They're from the U995 model from the Quebec Naval Museum. Sadly I have no more information about it.
Nicolas

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #69 on: 31 Jan , 2012, 11:47 »
It looks like the manhole you are referring to is about the same configuration as the one on "E" deck as far as size and bolt configuration. Where did you get that reference Simon? How high was it above the base of "E" deck? Do you have a drawing that you used to generate your image?
Christopher

Christopher, you may have seen it before, it on the GHG plan spt 102.

TopherVIIC

« Reply #70 on: 31 Jan , 2012, 17:31 »
Simon
I do not have a whole copy of Spt.102 - oddly enough, I just have the lower half... from the tubes down. Could you post that for me sir? Thanks for looking out for me! :-)
Christopher

TopherVIIC

« Reply #71 on: 31 Jan , 2012, 18:42 »
Thanks Bracco! Good pics!

Offline Sniperonzolo

• Lieutenant (jg)
« Reply #72 on: 01 Feb , 2012, 05:14 »
Hi

Your work is simply amazing! i envy you!!! great job.... loocking for your post

ciao Alessio

TopherVIIC

« Reply #73 on: 02 Feb , 2012, 14:48 »
OK - Here is some little bit of progress.
Below you can see I started working on my Atlantic Bow Casing. I have holes cut in to it that will become my vents and the
bullnose and such. Quite a ways to go on it but it is a start!

Here you can see the casing profile, and a few more frames I have worked in. The long stringers at the anchorwell height are temporary.
You can also see the start of the new HP air impulse tanks #1 and #3.

Because the evergreen plastic "L" girders are so whipy they flex a lot - so I will have to be careful with my alignment and tensions.
Right now there are soft bends in places that do not need them, but they will get worked out as I go.
I made my Tauchzelle #5 and the tubes kinda grubby slimey - they will be the roughest weathered portions of the ship.
Everything else will be weathered in the manner of a military machine that gets use, but still has an L.I. who maintains discipline! :-)

Below you can see the start of the torpedorohr detail. I came up with a cool way to do the detail - I made a .005" rolled "sleeve" that fits the purposely undersized wooden tube, build the detail onto it, and can slip the detail section on and off at will to check for fit and visibility. When it is all done (I will be adding more detail, plumbing, and interlocks, and finally tube caps) I can paint everything the way I want it and viola!

You can also see the beginnings of electrical cables and clips on some of the bulkheads.

I am enjoying this build, but I know I will do many things different the next time, and I am sure there will be a next time!
My "after-action report" is likely to be about as big as the U-570 ONI report! :-)

Cheers Mates!
Christopher
« Last Edit: 02 Feb , 2012, 14:50 by TopherVIIC »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #74 on: 03 Feb , 2012, 00:05 »
Christopher
I see you are busy with the forward atlantic bow details. Many people have been discussing how the surface of the forward steeldeckpart looked like as several kits shows all kinds of surfacepatterns.
I`m posting a photo below showing the details of the original VIIC/41 as on Kaura.
Tore