Author Topic: VIIC "On the Ways"  (Read 76571 times)

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
Re: VIIC "On the Ways"
« Reply #345 on: 08 Apr , 2013, 06:00 »
Hi Gentlemen,

Being with torpedo tubes subject, I have updated my description of U-Boats torpedo tubes:
http://www.ubootwaffe.pl/en/u-boats/equipment/torpedo-tubes-of-german-u-boats

The major update is section about heating torpedo batteries, but there are also several
minor changes.

--
Regards
Maciek

TopherVIIC

« Reply #346 on: 08 Apr , 2013, 14:53 »
Hi Gentlemen,

Being with torpedo tubes subject, I have updated my description of U-Boats torpedo tubes:
http://www.ubootwaffe.pl/en/u-boats/equipment/torpedo-tubes-of-german-u-boats

The major update is section about heating torpedo batteries, but there are also several
minor changes.

--
Regards
Maciek
Thanks Maciek - good information.
The FaT drawings were quite useful. I will have to design torpedo tubes Pre-FaT (probably bronze), ones with FaT (Probably steel) and ones with LuT. Because I have the most pictures of LuT Mechanisms, I am starting with those, but if you have any more information or drawings on the FaT and LuT mechanisms on the Rohr I would appreciate it! :-)
I am also trying to find period drawings on the angle setting and firing mechanisms.
Questions -
... could a tube have both FaT and Lut mechanisms, and were they the same location on the torpedoes/tubes?
... do you know the frame locations on the Type VIIC/VIIC-41 for the ETO Heizkasten? Were they likely in the similar location you showed on the Type IX? I see the vibration shock mountings on the drawings at http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570Plate34.htm but I do not see those devices on the photos I have of U-995.
Surely she must have had the ability to fire electric torpedoes... "LUT-Versionen wurden aus den g
« Last Edit: 08 Apr , 2013, 15:48 by TopherVIIC »

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #347 on: 09 Apr , 2013, 01:40 »
Hi Christopher,

The FaT drawings were quite useful. I will have to design torpedo tubes Pre-FaT (probably bronze), ones with FaT (Probably steel) and ones with LuT. Because I have the most pictures of LuT Mechanisms, I am starting with those, but if you have any more information or drawings on the FaT and LuT mechanisms on the Rohr I would appreciate it! :-)

Unfortunately I do not have drawings of the LUT setting mechanisms. I can only imagine how it looked like based on the the location and assembly of LUT gear in the torpedo and external photos of the setting gear on the tube.

I am also trying to find period drawings on the angle setting and firing mechanisms.

Same thing as in case of LUT gear.
When you will start working on this mechanisms, I can present my supposition, how it looked like.

Questions -

... could a tube have both FaT and Lut mechanisms, and were they the same location on the torpedoes/tubes?

Well, no. The FAT setting gear consisted of two parts - one - regular gyro angle setting spindle - as in case of regular GA VIII, and FAT spindle, located in the area of overpressure valve (forward of gyro angle setting spindle).
LUT setting gear consisted of multi-spindle gear located in place of regular GA VIII gyro angle setting spindle.
These two mechanism could not be built at the same time.

... do you know the frame locations on the Type VIIC/VIIC-41 for the ETO Heizkasten? Were they likely in the similar location you showed on the Type IX? I see the vibration shock mountings on the drawings at http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570Plate34.htm but I do not see those devices on the photos I have of U-995.

I have not seen any photos of the type VIIC boat with visible ETO Heizkasten. I have only text description saying:
Five Electric torpedo heating control boxers, (ETO HEIZKASTEN). Of these two were mounted on the port side, and two on the starboard side, placed for use with torpedoes loaded in the bow tubes, and one at the stern for use with the torpedo loaded in the stern tube.

Based on the given dimensions I can assume location of these four boxes - there are some unused mountings on the pressure hull. I will try to present them.

By the way, on the photo of U190 forward torpedo room there are visible three ETO Heizkasten on the port side.

Surely she must have had the ability to fire electric torpedoes... "LUT-Versionen wurden aus den g

TopherVIIC

« Reply #348 on: 09 Apr , 2013, 06:05 »
Maciek -
Thanks again...
Well, no. The FAT setting gear consisted of two parts - one - regular gyro angle setting spindle - as in case of regular GA VIII, and FAT spindle, located in the area of overpressure valve (forward of gyro angle setting spindle). LUT setting gear consisted of multi-spindle gear located in place of regular GA VIII gyro angle setting spindle. These two mechanism could not be built at the same time.

This is what I thought as far as the torpedo itself -, but I have seen a couple confusing references that seemed to indicate that there were tubes that were able to fire FaT and LuT torpedoes interchangeably. It was my understanding that a tube either had FaT OR LuT but not both at the same time.

I notice in photos of U-995 there are several shock mounts applied to the inside of the druckkorper between D.Spt that could be where the heating boxes might have once been mounted.

For instance, betweend Sbd. D.Spt 75-76 near the box with the four torpedo lights there is an obvious mount for something about the same size as what we are looking for... and there is another set of mounts similar, below the manual lube-oul pump Sbd. Dspt. 74-75, near the flow meter.

There are also mounts that had something removed on the BB side above the flow meter quite near electrical switch boxes.
I suspect those might be the mounting points we are looking for.
The hunt continues...
Christopher
« Last Edit: 09 Apr , 2013, 06:14 by TopherVIIC »

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #349 on: 18 Apr , 2013, 06:53 »
Hi  Christopher,

I notice in photos of U-995 there are several shock mounts applied to the inside of the druckkorper between D.Spt that could be where the heating boxes might have once been mounted.

For instance, betweend Sbd. D.Spt 75-76 near the box with the four torpedo lights there is an obvious mount for something about the same size as what we are looking for...

I think, that you are talking about these mountings:

I agree, it matches completely.

and there is another set of mounts similar, below the manual lube-oul pump Sbd. Dspt. 74-75, near the flow meter.

You are talking about this area:

In this case, I think, that lower mountings were for some pipe, which was led there and the parts marked with white arrows are just supports for the shelf with lub oil pump.

I do not think, that Germans would mount control box so low, exposing it for the water splashes from torpedo tubes piping.

There are also mounts that had something removed on the BB side above the flow meter quite near electrical switch boxes.

On the port side I have located following:

and

I think you have mentioned these mountings:

These are a little too large (btw, the electric sockets are post-war in my opinion).

So we have two possible mounting area on the port side and one on the starboard - unfortunately I have no idea, where to look for the second mounting area on the stb.

--
Regards
Maciek

TopherVIIC

« Reply #350 on: 18 Apr , 2013, 09:54 »
Maciek -
I totally agree with you on the placement for the mountings that are higher in elevation off of the deck, between D.Spt 75-76, and the one nested in high on the Bb "ceiling" between D.Spt 74-75.

I too, would think that the Germans would not place electrical equipment too low where splash water might get to it, if they could help it.

We must still find what the 45 cm x 33 cm mounts near the (post-war) electrical switches. They are an enigma (pardon the pun), as are the (post-war) switches themselves. The underside of the lower set of electrical boxes (painted sloppy dark gray) seem to be of a sort that might allow for something portable to be plugged in to them at the bottom. It is a continuing challenge to figure out what was "period" and what was post-war additions.

What you say about the low mountings by the flow meters also makes sense. I do wonder what pipes used to be mounted there, and why there are not mounts of a similar nature farther forward.

We must also remember that there may have been equipment mounted where the door was cut into the side of U-995. I rather doubt that it was a blank, clean bulkhead.

Thank you for continuing to help me with this.
Christopher

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #351 on: 18 Apr , 2013, 14:44 »
 Christopher,

We must still find what the 45 cm x 33 cm mounts near the (post-war) electrical switches. They are an enigma (pardon the pun), as are the (post-war) switches themselves. The underside of the lower set of electrical boxes (painted sloppy dark gray) seem to be of a sort that might allow for something portable to be plugged in to them at the bottom. It is a continuing challenge to figure out what was "period" and what was post-war additions.

I'm surprised myself I did not think about it earlier: these have to be mountings for the ETO charging panel, which has dimensions: 13.25''x 17''x7'' that is 34x43x18 cm. There were one panel on the port side and another on the stb side
(I have no idea, where the stb panel was located).

What you say about the low mountings by the flow meters also makes sense. I do wonder what pipes used to be mounted there, and why there are not mounts of a similar nature farther forward.

Some time ago I tried to figure it out - without success. I guess there could be compressed air pipe for capstan air motor, leading to the valves and pressure regulators, which are located near the bottom stb torpedo tube (just behind the angle gear of the diving planes manual drive shaft).

We must also remember that there may have been equipment mounted where the door was cut into the side of U-995. I rather doubt that it was a blank, clean bulkhead.

Right you are, there could be some of missing boxes.

--
Regards
Maciek