SEA > DD

Flower Class Corvettes in DKM service

(1/2) > >>

rhettscott:
I was reading on line that there were four Flower Class Corvettes captured by Germany when they took France.  Does anyone have a clue what direction to point me in? I have a copy of the one blurry photo I could find.  This looks like an interesting conversion project for the Revell 1/72 kit.  Any photo evidence, links or written wrd on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, it is my first post. No, I don't even have the kit yet, just researching to see if it is worthwhile.

I came to the forum because of the excellent U-Boat coverage here.  Thanks for all of your excellent collaboration.

rgds,
Rhett

TRM:
Welcome Rhett,

Flower Class Corvettes:  http://www.german-navy.de/cgi-bin/sitesearch.php.cgi      This is off the German Naval History Website

Try this...I don't think there is any here, but my French is rusty:  http://www.servicehistorique.sga.defense.gouv.fr/02fonds-collections/banquedocuments/planbato/planbato/listebato/listebato.php

Awesome plans anyway....

Last, but not least the book below.  This sounds like an interesting project.  Let us know how you make out.

Good luck!

TRM:
Hello again Rhett,

I guess I wasn't done...
  Flower Class Corvette Build

Kriegsmarine Flower class

;D

rhettscott:
TRM,
Thanks for the excellent links!  I had seen the longer article about the 4 captured Flowers with the  photos and line drawings.  It is an excellent piece of work given the apparent lack of quality photos of the 4 Flowers.  The written description is likely enough to take some license from the 3 existing photos and move out smartly.

Now, to find the elusive USS Saucy version of the kit!

As a follow-on, I have been looking and see the excellentsites for detail and update kits for the Revell Flower kit and the S-100 kits.  I think these will contain much of the gear I will need.

Does anyone know of a source for quality 10.5cm enclosed DKM deck turret in 1/72 scale? this would be the trick for the forward gun with a series of 20mm singles, duals and flakvierlings for the remaining armament.  I am guessing I will need replacement depth charge racks and cans as well.

Great ideas for adequate numbers of crew between CMK, Andrea and Hecker and Goros...any other DKM crew I should be looking for?

rgds to all,
Rhett

rhettscott:
Okay, having heard nothing for a few days, I will assume no one knows of 1/72 scale sources for German Navy deck guns like the single mounted 10.5cm with shield. Still looking for advice or photos of these deck guns so, worst case I can have a go at making them myself.

I have the USS Saucy version of the Revell Flower kit on the way to the house, paid about $65 with postage...seems a fair price for an out of production kit. I believe I will shoot for making the PA2 which seems to have had the most significant impact as a captured, then completed ex-Flower.

Now turning attention to other kits I can ravage for essential parts.  I will be looking for an Airfix 1/72 E-Boat to take the Depth Charge rails, probably 2 flak 38 versions of the S100 to steal the flak 38s. I will also take all the floats and dinghies and re-purpose them.Am also searching for gun tubs that will match up fromt he after market, although these would be easy to build.  I did not find enough of the required guns from the WEM selection. If anyone else knows of places that make accurate after market products for the 1/72 U-boats, S Boats or E-Boats, I am all ears.

From the excellent after market selections for the 1/72 Flower kit and the spread of photo-etch for the S Boat, I think I can get much of the way there; except for the armament.

rgds,
Rhett Scott

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version