Author Topic: Trumpeter 1/48 U-552  (Read 22316 times)

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
Re: Trumpeter 1/48 U-552
« Reply #105 on: 24 May , 2018, 00:03 »
Hi Raymic,
the ammo chute is not the 2nd lower hole that you speak about: see the posted photos ( it is not U 552, but I think it's quitre the same )....
If you see at the photo of U552 conning tower deck ( posted ), it is not visible an oval hatch in the same position of that one present in the other U-Boat conning tower deck; it's a real brain teaser...
From the photos, looking at the position of ammo oval hatch compared to main hatch, it seems that the position of ammo chute was on starboard side of conning tower, but there is not an hatch in the expected position on the starboard side of conning tower ( see the posted drawing ): I'm very doubtful.....
Opinions of forum's experts welcome...

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #106 on: 24 May , 2018, 00:28 »
Is it the oval hole ( ? ) circled in red in posted photo the ammo chute on U552 conning tower deck ? Or the dark oval shape is only a shadow or dirt on film frame ?

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #107 on: 24 May , 2018, 23:27 »
Voice duct on conning tower....

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #108 on: 28 May , 2018, 16:24 »
Hi Raymic,
the ammo chute is not the 2nd lower hole that you speak about: see the posted photos ( it is not U 552, but I think it's quitre the same )....
If you see at the photo of U552 conning tower deck ( posted ), it is not visible an oval hatch in the same position of that one present in the other U-Boat conning tower deck; it's a real brain teaser...
From the photos, looking at the position of ammo oval hatch compared to main hatch, it seems that the position of ammo chute was on starboard side of conning tower, but there is not an hatch in the expected position on the starboard side of conning tower ( see the posted drawing ): I'm very doubtful.....
Opinions of forum's experts welcome...

FYI Interesting

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #109 on: 29 May , 2018, 05:17 »
Hi Raymic,
good observation...it's ironical the fact that I already had that drawing you posted on my U-Boat folder....
That hatch was present on both sides of conning tower, and take note of the hollow on wave deflector over those hatches ( see posted photos ), also that one present on both sides...( I don't imagine its purpose...).
Cheers

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #110 on: 11 Jun , 2018, 21:56 »
Bianco
Fyi.
I'm not sure if this is a Type VIIC (it supposed to be a Type II) as its from a reenacted movie on Scapa Flow mission U47 but these look like ammo chutes on both sides.
« Last Edit: 11 Jun , 2018, 22:09 by Raymic1 »

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #111 on: 11 Jun , 2018, 23:18 »
Hi Raymic,
thanks for the photo; I already have one photo similar to that one ( posted ).
The problem is that I didn't see a similar configuration in Type VIIC photos I have....maybe it was possible to remove some part of deck floor to have access to those chutes...
See also the lookout seats on photo.....

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #112 on: 18 Jun , 2018, 01:31 »
The work proceeds slowly, because of the heat of the season....( I discovered Brian Freeman's books, especially the Stride's serie, and they take me a lot of free time...).
I opened a window on starboard side of the conning tower, to see the interiors...
I don't like the "protruding"position of the air grill in photoethcing; it was flush with the conning tower wall; I'm thinking about how to solve the problem....

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #113 on: 06 Nov , 2018, 00:32 »
Hi everybody,
after a long period of inactivity, I resumed work on U 552, starting from where I left off, the exterior of conning tower.
I was not satisfied with the photoetched hatches applied ( they were too protruding from conning tower surface ) and with the photoetched air intake grill ( it was too flat, not very "real" ).
I solved the problem of hatches heating them with the tip of the welder ( I replaced the hinges too ).
About the grill, I rebuilt it by scratch.
Here some photos...
As visible in the last photo, I made by scratch also the part of conning tower surface with the drainage holes...
Cheers

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #114 on: 10 Nov , 2018, 02:30 »
Good to see you back Bianco
Yes the grills are a problem. I used the Eduard ones as they are correct thickness but not that much better. I'm not happy with mine and still need some adjustments
« Last Edit: 10 Nov , 2018, 02:42 by Raymic1 »

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #115 on: 10 Nov , 2018, 04:34 »
Hi Raymic,
your UZO and attack periscope basement are simply fantastic !!!!
Also the Eduard’s photoetched grill are not so bad...
Glad to see you again....

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #116 on: 22 Nov , 2018, 08:08 »
Hi everyone,
as noted by Raymic, in Trumpeter's model the conning tower interior floor is totally wrong, at the deck level.
I had to drill the deck, reproducing the conning pressure hull shape; I used the half shell of conning pressure hull ( I'll will make visible all the interior of conning tower ) to extend the missing part.

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #117 on: 22 Nov , 2018, 08:14 »
Before gluing the top cap of conning tower pressure hull, I will redo all the details, removing the existing details.
Obviously, I'll have to build by scratch the inner conning tower floor...
Stay tuned...

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #118 on: 22 Nov , 2018, 23:27 »
Looking good Bianco

FYI. I had to rebuild the Floor as it is one with lots of small drainage holes in it. I used a thin Plastic card and a sharp needle. LOTS of Holes... :)

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #119 on: 23 Nov , 2018, 00:11 »
Hi Raymic,
I like very much your floor with drainage holes, especially the pattern of holes ( concentric circles design ).
I'll try to do my best...
Cheers