Author Topic: Shapeways external details  (Read 599 times)

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
Shapeways external details
« on: 13 Jun , 2019, 15:30 »

Just wanted to give a pre-release heads up for some upcoming details from Super Nashwan Miniatures on Shapeways. I had contacted him awhile back asking if he could resize his 1/72 scale Inner Conning Tower and related piping & air trunking. He wasn't sure if it would work on the Trumpy kit but said he could. A few days later he informed me that he had ordered the kit and would be designing the Conning Tower kit to fit. I have not seen anything listed yet nor have I received any new information from him but I know he is working on it.

I know Shapeways is very expensive but the can create parts that could take weeks to duplicate for some of us (probably not Filippo though  ;D ). I would assume he would probably resize his exhaust system as well. At $67 and $75 US in 1/72 scale, he's not giving them away but I'm sure they will be very nice pieces. A VERY welcomed addition to the completely naked upper hull and incorrectly sized inner conning tower.

PS - No compensation here, just throwing it out there.
Modeling U-371 on 16.10.43 at 1800 off of the Algerian coast in CJ7722.

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
Re: Shapeways external details
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jun , 2019, 15:43 »
Yes Naswan is good to talk too. I gave him feedback on my Hatches I bought which were 80% accurate.

Shapeways had a change of management and put their prices up more!!!.

The poor sellers are held at ransom too...

And its great they are making bits but often the developers don't know their accuracy.

And as they ship from US its very expensive shipping. Ok for you US guys.....

These is room for another cheaper and more accurate 3D printing player in the market if Shapeways don't get their crap together ...

But its early days in the market.

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jun , 2019, 15:49 »
I agree. I can't imagine what you are paying overseas. It's like the U-boat figures. I know you bought a set and they're outrageously expensive but what are you to do? In my case I'm modeling a boat in the Med. Can't use all those aftermarket U-boat figures that are bundled up for the North Atlantic. I need all of my guys stripped down (not a personal preference) for hot weather and Shapeways is the only place I can find them. Supply and demand.
Modeling U-371 on 16.10.43 at 1800 off of the Algerian coast in CJ7722.

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jun , 2019, 15:54 »
Agree. Its great Shapeways can offer some upgrade bits for the true enthusiast but the price!!!!!

Shipping downunder from Europe and US is just ridiculous.

I can pay $5-10 USD for China shipping but its $20-50 USD for US.....madness lol

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun , 2019, 08:02 »
Tristan (Super Nashwan) is an awesome fellow, and his 3D stuff is great.   I just received my 1/72 tower set (external) and was blown away by the detail.   If anyone can come up with a great detail set for the 1/48 Trumpeter boat, it's him.
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca