Author Topic: What boat?  (Read 7185 times)

Cornelius

Re: What boat? USS Barb (In Progress Pics)
« Reply #15 on: 09 May , 2008, 11:18 »
I've added some in-progress photos. The deck sheet hasn't been glued, and the aft deck hasn't been glued to the hull.  Note that some bolts are missing from the buoy--they came off when I was messing around with dry fitting! I'll also sand down the deck sheet a little more. I've included one photo of the deck section forward of the fairwater showing where I've marked out the deck sponson.

Cheers!

Tom

Cornelius

Re: What boat? USS Barb (More In-Progress Pics)
« Reply #16 on: 09 May , 2008, 11:20 »
More photos here.

Tom

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
Re: What boat?
« Reply #17 on: 09 May , 2008, 12:59 »
Thank You very much!
Very instructive!! :o
Sincerely

Ralf

buysauna.net

« Reply #18 on: 23 May , 2008, 07:07 »
Listen up, Maggots! (aww, just always wanted to be a drill sergeant)

The Gato's been out for awhile, it seems like folks have been holding off on starting, prolly partly because it's a big project and partly because there are aftermarket goodies appearing slowly over time.

SO...what boats are you all gonna do?

There have been a few "instant/preliminary" builds done within a few weeks of the release, and they are fine but generic. We want to see choices! History, meaning.

I'll start off. I'm doing SS 214, Grouper, because my amazing friend and 2nd father was a young Lt aboard the Guppy version in 1957, and eventually commanded a sub. She has a lot of hisgreat day to you all, peace!tory, starting in WWII and continuing on for a very long time. There's a personal connection, and some varied history.

But anything will do.  Liking a paint job, a time period, etc. (I'm doing 1943 because it (1) parallels U 557, off by just a year but otherwise almost exaclty matches to the days); (2) is early/mid war for US so interesting stuff; is not "modern".

Would love to hear, because this is the time for us all to help each other with research and ideas.

I'm also working on a checklist of what i will change, and the "attack plan" on how to do it.

Mike Keating has already done some great bow work.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #19 on: 23 May , 2008, 18:24 »
Cornelius - loving your detailed work, the pix look fantastic! keep 'em coming!

Your rivets on the hull casing and roundover look good - one nice thing about Gato rivets - they were fairly flat and not rounded! What is yoour method?
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Cornelius

« Reply #20 on: 27 May , 2008, 14:34 »
Rokket,

Thanks! I'm using an Excel Knives 1/4 inch swivel pounce wheel. I've been using two layers of Tamiya tape and run the wheel along the edge. Right now I'm working on the amidships section. I've added the wood deck and made sponsons positioned on either side of the 5 inch gun. Once I've finished sanding I'll post some pics!

Tom

Cornelius

Barb Progress
« Reply #21 on: 30 May , 2008, 12:35 »
I've posted a couple more in-progress pics. I've glued the deck as far as the fairwater and added the aft sponsons. I'm now working on fairing them in a little more with the hull, then I'll move forward. The sponsons forward of the fairwater have a little more complicated shape, and I anticipate having to spend more time on them. Looking forward to completing the deck and hull!

Tom

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #22 on: 31 May , 2008, 02:32 »
coming along nicely
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr