Author Topic: 1/72 Airfix Do217J-1  (Read 438 times)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
1/72 Airfix Do217J-1
« on: 31 Dec , 2020, 14:37 »
 Greetings!
 Completed build of the vintage Airfix Dornier 217J-1 night fighter from the 1978 kit.  I purchased this kit from the Ahmad Jamal toy store in Riyadh in 1984 during my Saudi expat years, I think I paid 8 Riyals.  Plenty of raised surface details and poorly fitting parts!  Very much out of the box build with just a few small enhancements.  40 year old decals had to be drenched in direct sunlight, but went down very well.  While not up to the current standards, I like the challenge of these old kits.  Many thanks for having a look, questions and comments always welcome.
 Cheers,
 Bill

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
Re: 1/72 Airfix Do217J-1
« Reply #1 on: 03 Jan , 2021, 15:17 »
Hi Bill,
Happy New year to you and everyone else on the forum.
Thank you sharing your three builds which are very tidy. The Clipper sure has lovely lines and I really like the diorama additions.

My favourite has to be the Dornier 217. It is one of the best looking Luftwaffe aircraft and so much nicer than the earlier Do 17. I still have a Dorneir 217 I made in my teens, though it has a glass nose rather than the cannon. I know what you mean about old decals.I just got a very old Sea King kit from Santa so I have taped the old decals to the window so that the yellowing goes away. I had to do that for an S-3 Viking I made last year and possibly for a Hawkeye as well last year.
What is next on the build list?
Cheers,
Dougie

Offline falo

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: 04 Jan , 2021, 13:17 »
Hi Bill, hi Dougie,

a memory from my childhood comes back, imagine you could build models without etched parts, resin detail sets and turned metal pipes. And then they look so skilful, as Bill did.

Many thanks for posting the pictures of the successful models.

Greetings
falo

P.S.: Do you still know the models of the company "Frog"?

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: 05 Jan , 2021, 10:36 »
Hi Bill,
Happy New year to you and everyone else on the forum.
Thank you sharing your three builds which are very tidy. The Clipper sure has lovely lines and I really like the diorama additions.

My favourite has to be the Dornier 217. It is one of the best looking Luftwaffe aircraft and so much nicer than the earlier Do 17. I still have a Dorneir 217 I made in my teens, though it has a glass nose rather than the cannon. I know what you mean about old decals.I just got a very old Sea King kit from Santa so I have taped the old decals to the window so that the yellowing goes away. I had to do that for an S-3 Viking I made last year and possibly for a Hawkeye as well last year.
What is next on the build list?
Cheers,
Dougie

Thanks Dougie!

I have two builds I recently completed that I need to post here.  One is the Swift 1805 Virginia pilot boat, a wood kit from Artesania Latina and the new Galileo shuttle craft from Polar Lights.  Also have some older builds that I have not posted here yet along with a few 1/72 projects that are almost finished - Supermarine S6B from Frog and the newer Bf109 E3 from Airfix.  There are a few abandoned builds that I may attempt to resurrect.  Enough pending working to keep me busy for a long time!  At some point I will begin the 1/48 Type VIIC from Trumpeter.
Bill

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: 05 Jan , 2021, 10:51 »
Hi Bill, hi Dougie,

a memory from my childhood comes back, imagine you could build models without etched parts, resin detail sets and turned metal pipes. And then they look so skilful, as Bill did.

Many thanks for posting the pictures of the successful models.

Greetings
falo

P.S.: Do you still know the models of the company "Frog"?

Hello Falo!

Thank you for the comments. I love the challenge of these old kits, they remind me of my introduction to scale models as a child.  With a bit of effort, some of these kits can be made into very nice models - at least much better looking than when I first built them many decades ago!

The old Airfix kits are some of my favorites, but I also have built many of the Frog kits.  One in particular, the Shell Welder

https://models.rokket.biz/index.php?topic=1383.0

was a real challenge which I enjoyed very much.  Another old Frog kit is the Supermarine S6B in 1/72 - I hope to post images of the completed model here soon.

Cheers,
Bill
« Last Edit: 05 Jan , 2021, 10:53 by Mr. Bill »