Author Topic: U-45 WIP - Completed October 2019  (Read 105551 times)

JAORSA

Re: U-45 WIP
« Reply #45 on: 17 Sep , 2009, 23:33 »
Mr. Bill, I am building the U 47 of Amati and I am closely following your U 45. All your work is incredibly perfect!!! Thanks very much for those photos...

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #46 on: 18 Sep , 2009, 09:21 »
Hello Jaorsa,

Many thanks for your kind words!  Good luck with the Amati kit - it is a challenge!  If you are doing U-47, keep in mind that U-45 had some small differences (flooding vents, ammo hatches, conning tower railing, ...).

Mr. Bill

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #47 on: 18 Sep , 2009, 12:52 »
One word- STUNNING! :o

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: 18 Sep , 2009, 16:07 »
Hi Mr. Bill,

Outstanding work...I cannot think of any early VIIB model that has come anywhere close to this. You've even got the port side of the tower railings correct for U 45! I only noticed recently that they were slightly different to the other early VIIBs.

The pattern of holes on the side of the tower are also correct for U 45 (again there were minor differences to other early VIIBs).

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: 18 Sep , 2009, 16:21 »

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #50 on: 18 Sep , 2009, 16:42 »
Thanks Dougie for your comments and the eBay link - I think I would like to have that photo.  I know it is hard to see in the auction photo due to the poor quality, but look at the last photo showing the bows of U-45 and U-47.  The flooding vent on the bow near the stem seems to be absent from U-45.  I can just make it out on U-47.   Having the eBay photo would be probably confirm this.....

Regards,

Mr. Bill

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #51 on: 19 Sep , 2009, 01:45 »
Rals and the details are gorgeous.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #52 on: 19 Sep , 2009, 18:17 »
Thanks everyone for your comments!  Primed the conning tower and fittings earlier today and have some photos to share.  I used Floquil railroad enamel primer and my ancient Paasche airbrush.  The primer revealed a few seams that need a bit of attention on the front of the conning tower and a rough spot on the periscope housing, but in general the results look good to me. 

Washes and weathering are not my strong points and I would greatly appreciate any advice, recommendations, or suggestions you may have.  I want to depict U-45 on commissioning day so she is basically spotless.  As such, I probably don't want any weathering and just a very light wash?  She will have the 1938 pre-war scheme which I think is a dark gray bottom and light gray upper?  Not sure about deck colour, I think it is dark gray also.  Specific brands and colours or codes will help me to choose the right colours.  I prefer enamels and believe that almost all brands are compatible with the Floquil primer.  I plan to airbrush Future clear following the final colour coat for decal application and a very light wash.  Final step is to seal everything in clear flat.  How does this sound?

Many thanks again to everyone, enjoy the photos.

Mr. Bill

« Last Edit: 20 Apr , 2018, 09:25 by Mr. Bill »

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #53 on: 20 Sep , 2009, 02:06 »
Sounds like the right paint steps to me. Interesting, I have an old Paasche single action as well, love it but will get a 2nd an of some kind one day.

I'm also an enamel fan (they bite!). Tho your steps are standard and good, myself I dropped the Future and only put it on under the decals, and dull-coated just there - firgued on keeping as thin and few coats as possible, but that was my whacky idea. Otherwise ignore it and you'll be getting stamps of approval from guys who can really paint. I'd day the light wash to get some depth in the nooks and crannies is KEY to make this look like a miniature in pristine condition as opposed to "totally spotless in an impossible and fake way". ie even clean and new needs depth and a tiny bit of dirt.

Be sure to read Dougie's Uboat Colours (library of AMP site).

Lookin good, get out a miniature bottle of champagne for the launch!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #54 on: 20 Sep , 2009, 07:51 »
Thanks Rokket for pointing me to Dougie's work on U-boat colours, seems that all of the colour and manufacturer information is there.  I had considered using the Future just under the decals, but was concerned it might result in a "patchy" look overall - never actually tried this so I don't know for certain.

Mr. Bill

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: 20 Sep , 2009, 15:10 »
Hi Mr. Bill,

The upper colour of U 45 during commissioning was Dunkelgrau 51 (which was actually a medium grey). It was definitely NOT the light grey Hellgrau 50. We can say this with certainty because period photos show U 45 beside tenders; the tenders were painted with D51 hull and H50 superstructures. The U 45 upper colour is identical to the tender hull - so the U 45 upper colour was D51. For the colour of Dunkelgrau 51 please see my article.

The lower hull was most likely be the usual Schiffsbodenfarbe III Grau.

The paint on the boat would have been in pristine condition so I wouldn't weather it.

The deck would probably have been recently stained with the black wood preservative, so not much weathering there either. There may have been a little hint of the brown shining through?

Remember that U 45 would have had a white vertical board placed behind the tower railings. This board prevented the tips of the sailors' boots smudging the pristine paintwork. You will have to weather the white board (which was discoloured due to the sailors' boots).

Note also that the upper half of the magnetic compass fairing was black on U 45 (but not on some other early VIIBs).

Lastly the bottom of the tower (where the tower met the deck) was black. This was common practice in the Kriegsmarine. The bottom of the 20mm was also black.

Do you know about the canvas bag over the KDB?

Any questions just ask.

Cheers,

Dougie

bracco_n

« Reply #56 on: 21 Sep , 2009, 18:24 »
magnificent work mr bill!

vonbulowfla

« Reply #57 on: 29 Nov , 2009, 21:31 »
mr billllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll ' hello ladd i see in my absence you have been moving right along . smashing good work bill . post some full hull shots when you can . conning tower looks great . talk to you soon . ;)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #58 on: 30 Nov , 2009, 05:39 »
I was surprised at how much time has elapsed since my last progress report!  I have done a few things lately, but not enough to justify photos.  Time to put other things aside and get back to work on U-45!

Many thanks everyone!

Mr. Bill

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #59 on: 01 Dec , 2009, 00:47 »
Hi Bill, you U45 is a stunning piece of work.  You have a rare talent at scratchbuilding.  Respect!

Ernest