Author Topic: U-45 WIP - Completed October 2019  (Read 103741 times)

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Re: U-45 WIP
« Reply #15 on: 10 May , 2009, 01:02 »
Good luck Bill, it's a crap job. But as you say, think of all the new sills! (which you probably hope you'll never need again). My mate bought a house and found that the previous owner was NOT a handyman...I Love Lucy style of wallpapering (over light switch hole), 2 tiny screws holding shelves which didn't...smashed a glass set as they collapsed, etc., etc.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Trierarch

• Ensign
« Reply #16 on: 10 May , 2009, 15:48 »
Hi there,

I just discovered tonight your fantastic job, as I have not much time left on my hands for modeling right now, but hey this is truly impressive and highly interesting.

As for your apartment repair, good luck, I did it for a few years, but as you said some tenants just do not care of a clean and nice apartment. That's why I decided last year to sell the few apartments I had. Don't get me wrong some tenants were great, but a few are just disgusting.

Keep up your very interesting project, I am certain that you will make many fans.

Cordially,
 :)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: 17 May , 2009, 15:57 »
Greetings Everyone,

Taking a few days off from my home renovation work and managed to find some time for U-45.  Leaving the conning tower aside for a bit, I focused on the modifications needed to the forward flooding vents.  With one exception, the Revell kit can be modified without too much difficulty to accurately depict an early VIIB, including U-45.  My main resource is the material researched and prepared by Dougie which is very detailed and well documented.  Basically, U-45 had a top row of 28 flood vents on the port side and a bottom row of 19 vents.  The starboard side had a top row of 28 vents and a bottom row of 15 vents.  The central drainage area was the same on both sides, starting just behind top row vent no 28.  The Revell kit has 22 vents on the top row and 17 on the bottom, both port and starboard.  This seems like an easy modifications at first, but there is a problem on the port side where the saddle tank occupies the same space as the needed extra bottom row vents (apologies for poor spelling in the photo notations):

No problem with filling the central drainage area and making the six new vents for the top row, but the two vents (nos. 18 & 19) on the bottom row are a real problem.  Other than major styrene surgery to the saddle tank, I can't see a way to add these two vents.  At this point, I am inclined to accept a compromise to accuracy and leave these two vents off rather than attempt a major modification to the saddle tanks.

The starboard side has only 15 vents on the bottom side, so no problem with the saddle tank:

It is interesting to note that the central drainage area is the same on both sides for U-45.  I believe this drainage area on the VIIC boats was not the same on both sides.  It seems that all is required to make this modification is to fill the slot on the kit part and then make the six new flood vents on both sides.  Keeping these new vents in a straight line with the existing vents may bring them very close to saddle tank, I can't be sure until I measure more carefully.

Thanks to everyone for helping me with this project.  Your comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Regards,

Bill

« Last Edit: 19 Apr , 2018, 07:45 by Mr. Bill »

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #18 on: 17 May , 2009, 16:21 »
Im really interested how youll deal with it Bill.
I remember time when i was doing this to my U-552, and it cost me some sleeping time i can tell you.
Youve got bigger task on your hands, as the number of holes added is greater on your model.
Shut your eyes, grab the drill, and away you go.
Good luck. ;)

vonbulowfla

« Reply #19 on: 17 May , 2009, 18:17 »
bill ' what i dont understand is why on the real boats the slots dont interfere with the saddle tanks . all i can think of is all of the forward floods on the revell kit are set to far back . i am almost done with my solution to this problem . i will post a shot by the middle of the week . dont rush it look it over and measure it out . i will do the same let me know what you come up with . :-\

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: 17 May , 2009, 18:59 »
Thanks for the input, I am looking forward to your solution.  In the meantime, I think the problem may be with trying to use the Revell VIIC hull parts for a VIIB boat.  Please correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember that in reality the VIIB was slightly smaller (perhaps 60cm in length? one hull frame?) than the VIIC with differently shaped/smaller saddle tanks.  I can't recall the source for this vague memory, but I believe it was one the standard references.  I think the forward part of the VIIB saddle tank were shorter and sloped downward more than the VIIC which left more of the upper hull open for a longer row of flood vents.  I could be entirely wrong, but this is what I recall.

Having said that, it is interesting to note that the brass deck from the Amati VIIB kit fits very well into Revell VIIC hull, almost exact in length.  I would have expected the Amati deck to be too small for the Revell hull. 

It seems, at least on the surface, that the flood vent locations on the Revell VIIC are a good match for a VIIB boat, until they run into the forward part of the saddle tank on the port side.  I will look through my reference books and try to find some profile drawings for both VIIB and VIIC hulls to compare the shape of the saddle tanks, especially the forward part.

Many thanks!

vonbulowfla

« Reply #21 on: 17 May , 2009, 19:00 »
bill' or they are about a 1/16 of an inch to low. :-\

vonbulowfla

« Reply #22 on: 17 May , 2009, 20:01 »
bill' i knew about the difference in the saddle tanks . but i had know idea about the difference in length . i learn something new every day . thanks for that tidbit of info . very handy indeed. will post that shot a.s.a.p . :-[

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #23 on: 17 May , 2009, 20:52 »
Thanks for the input, I am looking forward to your solution.  In the meantime, I think the problem may be with trying to use the Revell VIIC hull parts for a VIIB boat.  Please correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember that in reality the VIIB was slightly smaller (perhaps 60cm in length? one hull frame?) than the VIIC with differently shaped/smaller saddle tanks.  I can't recall the source for this vague memory, but I believe it was one the standard references.  I think the forward part of the VIIB saddle tank were shorter and sloped downward more than the VIIC which left more of the upper hull open for a longer row of flood vents.  I could be entirely wrong, but this is what I recall.

Yes the VIIB is smaller than the VIIC

Version   Total length (mm)

VIIB      65,510
VIIC      67,100
VIIC/41   67,230
VIIC/42A   68,730 (Final VIIC/42 version)         
VIIC/42B   73,400
VIIC/42C   Either 68,730 or 73,400
VIIC/43   68,730 (Total length was not decided)

Also not sure if this is useful, but the frames on the VIIC & VIIC/41 are 500 mm however between frame number 105 & 106 the distance is 625mm.  Frame 105 & 106 is just before the 12 around hole on the bow.

The other thing I have yet seen any original dimension for the vent but going with the most detail plan I have, I believe they are 390mm x 120mm. Has anyone see a true dimension for these vents.

« Last Edit: 17 May , 2009, 21:13 by NZSnowman »

vonbulowfla

« Reply #24 on: 18 May , 2009, 09:59 »
.thanks' snowman. yes good question does anybody have these dimentions. if so it would be a great help ! :)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #25 on: 18 May , 2009, 10:39 »
Hello vonbulow,

A quick look at flood vents on the Revell hull compared to photos of U-45 seems to show that the bottom row of flood vents may be slightly too low on the kit for a VIIB as you mentioned.  Need to look at this more closely to be sure.  If there is a difference, I think it is very small and probably not noticeable.  Not much can be done if there is a difference, other than fill the entire row of vents and cut new ones - a very major task. 

Using a straight edge, it is clear that the extra 6 top row flood vents needed for U-45 will be right on the top edge of the saddle tank.  I might be able to give them a very minor offset, but nothing like the distance seen in the photos.  Again, I think this is the result of trying to use a Type VIIC hull/saddle tank for a VIIB - they are very close, but not the same.   

Many thanks,

Bill
« Last Edit: 19 Apr , 2018, 07:46 by Mr. Bill »

vonbulowfla

« Reply #26 on: 18 May , 2009, 11:44 »
yes mr bill 'i see what you are saying .ithink me and siara had a discussion over the front cone of the revell saddle tanks in december or march . he  told me that the front nose cone on the type 7 c has almost a snubb nose shape . as a matter of fact we came to the conclusion that the shape of the revell saddle tanks are more for for a b than a c . and after looking at page 31 of robert sterns type 7 u boat book this is true . all you have to do is streamline the top of the front section of the tank for a type 7 b . check it out and i hope it helps . will post that shot thursday .good day! 8)

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #27 on: 21 May , 2009, 05:34 »
I found the same thing, here's what I did years ago now:

http://www.rokket.biz/models/modelsweb/rokket/u557/prog8.shtml
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

vonbulowfla

« Reply #28 on: 21 May , 2009, 05:59 »
rokket' yes that is what i am talking about . revell has a set of type 7 b saddle tanks on a 7 c hull ! as i said with a little sreamlining they are dead on for a b . or one can go the route you did and reshape the cone .good work by the way .thanks for your help as always. :)

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #29 on: 21 May , 2009, 07:40 »
Mr. Bill,

Do you do house calls????? I have some flood lights I cant get to work in my back yard.....geuss I'll have to "bite the Bullet" and get to work on my projects....blah!