Author Topic: Finished Photos of 1/144 scale L11 (LZ41) German WWI Naval Zeppelin  (Read 926 times)

Offline phillip1

• Ensign
Fellow Modelers,[/size]Below are photos of my Hippo Models

Offline phillip1

• Ensign
Fellow Modelers,
Below are photos of my Hippo Models

Offline phillip1

• Ensign

Offline phillip1

• Ensign

Offline phillip1

• Ensign
Here are photos of my Hippo Models

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
Outstanding build. The weathering is really convincing and the variations of yellow just sublime. The rigging is top notch. Is it scratchbuilt or a model kit? Am impressed.

Congrats!

SG
« Last Edit: 27 Dec , 2021, 03:52 by SG »

Offline phillip1

• Ensign
SG-Thanks for the compliments.  Listed below is information on the kit and the real aircraft.

MODEL
The manufacturer is Hippo Models.  The scale is 1/144.  It is a huge model with an overall length of 44.5".  The model contained 96 tan and clear resin parts with a majority of the pieces used on the two gondolas that hang under the hull.  There were no instructions or paint color references provided.  I tried to make my model look exactly like what was on the model box top and the Hippo Models' website.  Actual WWI German zeppelin colors are very elusive and heavily debated from what I have read.  The ship carries a unique test camouflage that was applied shortly after it was retired from combat.  This kit is no longer available, which is too bad since it is a really good resin kit. 

ACTUAL AIRCRAFT     
L11 was one of ten Type P Class zeppelins purchased by the German Navy in the summer of 1914.  The two primary functions of the zeppelins was strategic bombing over England and scouting missions for the Imperial German Navy.  As a strategic bomber L11 participated in 18 raids, more than any other zeppelin.  As a scouting aircraft L11 completed 31 missions, which included providing critical observations during the famous Battle of Jutland (May 31, 1916).  As more advanced zeppelins, with greater lifting capabilities and increased maximum ceilings became available, the surviving P Class airships transitioned from combat to training.  L11 was decommissioned in April 1917 and dismantled in November 1917.

Phillip1