Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576722 times)

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #3420 on: 29 Jan , 2017, 14:22 »
Hello Don,

Really sorry to hear this news, Don, this must be intensely frustrating for you. I'm hoping another publisher picks it up at some point. Keep your chin up if you can.

Best regards,

Dougie

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3421 on: 29 Jan , 2017, 20:25 »

Hi Dougie,

Thanks for the encouragement...  I tried several other publishers and I get the same old line; too much cost to publish the book with the current readership base.  It looks like the book publishing market is shrinking each year because of printing costs and the availability of e-books.

However, the e-book readers have limitations to the document's format. I looked into Skizzenbuch in a e-book format, but none have that capability. Besides, every e-book device is dependent upon the sponsor and have a different format. I am thinking seriously about applying for a publishing company LLC here in the state of Georgia. I could then create a named publishing company and distribute a CD/DVD with a PDF book format and sell them on Amazon.

I am looking into PDF protection software where the file can not be copied from the CD/DVD, but I am considering the option of allowing the customer to print the file. I have a second Skizzenbuch book on the Type IX C & C/40 in the pipeline with over 100 pages completed. 

AS you can see, I have a lot of options to consider.  I could chuck it all and have my Skizzenbuch: U-Boat Type VII C Project with its leather post binder in my personal library, and create the 2nd book for my library as well...  Either way; I am very content!

Kind regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 29 Jan , 2017, 20:28 by Don Prince »
A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline karel

• Ensign
« Reply #3422 on: 30 Jan , 2017, 06:03 »
 :(

Oh no. So sorry to hear about that. I was really looking forward for the release of Skizzenbuch since it contains valuable information for my game development efforts.
Hang tight Don Prince. I am sure that you will find an acceptable solution for your publishing problems. This unique historical knowledge needs to exists. I have wasted hundreds of dollars on various u-boat books that all contain the same generic information.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3423 on: 30 Jan , 2017, 06:45 »
My PC crashed three weeks ago leaving me out of touch with my mailbox which has been very frustrating and I am truly sorry not having been able to participate in the discussions and able to answer the questions put forward. However I got my PC back this week and used a few hours to  get updated. Don, I regret very much that your Skizzenbuch has been rejected, so many hours of your enthusiastic work not to be published. However a substantial part of the work is available on this thread, hopefully for some use of the many interested enthusisasts.
Again sorry for my absence.
Tore

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #3424 on: 30 Jan , 2017, 13:12 »
Hi Don,

There are some really average U-boat books out there, with some authors unable to tell the difference between a VIIC and an IX. So it gets really frustrating when properly researched material such as yours is prevented from book format simply due to financial reasons. I think I am going to have the same problem when I finish my U 47 book - the 200k+ word count and over a hundred images and drawings will not find favour with many publishers. So I guess I will be in the same boat as you.

The medium - whether printed book, E-book download or CD - is not as important as getting your research to be appreciated by enthusiasts. The CD via Amazon should accomplish this. It would also allow you to make updates as required and keep full control.  The only issue with the CD is that someone might try to rip it off and pass the files off as their own so the protection software for the pdfs sounds essential. 

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3425 on: 30 Jan , 2017, 19:54 »
Hi Dougie,

If I decide to go ahead and publish Skizzenbuch, then I will do the following:

1. I plan to purchase the "CopySafe PDF Converter" application which is to prevent copying anything from the original PDF file and changing its contents. I plan on embedding the CopySafe Reader into the encrypted Skizzenbuch distributed document. You can copy the encrypted file, but that's it...

2. I will create "Kristall-Klare Publishing, LLC.  This will be done in the State of Georgia.  The LLC protects the single owner in legal matters. The only assets at stake are the publishing company assets.

3. Each PDF book published will have a US eBook Copyright.

I am seriously thinking about making this happen...

Dougie - some advice on publishing your book about your U-47. 

1. Keep the book in a standard format - publishers don't like to work too hard!
2. Keep a limit on the number of font sizes (preferably 2).
3. The legal stuff will drive a sane person crazy! - publishers want the profits, but won't legally have your back!
4. Your royalties (a low percentage) will be on the wholesale set price, not the retail price.
5. A PDF file may not be accepted by your publisher depending on their staff size. I had to create a TEXT File that had embedded print commands; <Insert image ###, Size, Location> / <TEXT: size, bold> / etc. All your drawings and photos must be in a separate folder and numbered to match the text file, or it could be something completely different.

I guess I may come off as a bit jaded (I hope not).  Best of luck my friend...

Regards,
Don_
A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #3426 on: 31 Jan , 2017, 01:08 »
Hi Don,

I'm also really sorry to hear that your publisher cancelled publishing your book.
This book is one of the few that really introduces something new into the topic
of U-Boat technology. I hope that you find another way of publishing your work.

Tore, I'm happy to hear from you again.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #3427 on: 31 Jan , 2017, 11:45 »
Hi Don,

Thanks for your advice, I will have to make some adjustments as per your point 5.

When you are really to sell please let us know and we can put a link on the AMP website towards the CD.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #3428 on: 06 Feb , 2017, 16:35 »
Hi All,

I am looking that the internal framing of the saddle tanks, and it looks like that the Germans changed the design of the internal spars sometime during the war. The ‘late war’ design looks more simpler and stronger than that early drawings from 1940.

Has anybody come across this before or can confirm the change in the design for me?

Thanks, Simon.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #3429 on: 06 Feb , 2017, 17:08 »
Hello Mr. Tore and All,

Tuesday morning my Post Leather Bound First issue of Skizzenbuch was delivered to my doorstep via UPS. There was a litter inside the box taped to the binder stating that Schiffer Publishing LLC has decided not to publish the book. After a year and a half, now 2 months before the release date they canceled the book! They say the niche market is too small at this time.

To say the least; I'm a little %$*&T#, and I'll have to think about the situation...

Don_

Don, sorry about the late reply, I have had my head down working on the saddle tanks (have already spent over 60 hours working on them already). Sorry to hear about your Skizzenbuch. I think it’s the way of the modern world that books etc. are becoming more digital.

Perhaps using a PDF could have some benefit as you could embed multimedia into the file, to better illustrate your point of view or what you are explaining (e.g. 3-D imaging, sounds, animations, overlays/ multi layered pictures, Spreadsheets).

I think I am going to have the same problem when I finish my U 47 book - the 200k+ word count and over a hundred images and drawings will not find favour with many publishers. So I guess I will be in the same boat as you. 

Dougie, a pdf could be great option for your book, as you could link pictures directly to the text and add animation (e.g. the path Prien took etc.).

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #3430 on: 06 Feb , 2017, 20:41 »
Tore, Don & Maciek.

What is the smaller tank within the Regulating Tank 2, is it part of the Fuel oil compensating system?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3431 on: 07 Feb , 2017, 00:03 »
Simon.
The rectangular drawn inside the regulating tank2 port and stb is a crossection of the venting duct from MBT 3 port and stb. passing through the regulatingtank 2 to the main vent boxes on top of the pressurehull as tried to show on my image below. The regulating tanks 2 port and stb have no connections to the fuel compensating system as they are only used as regulating tanks.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #3432 on: 07 Feb , 2017, 00:23 »
Simon.
The rectangular drawn inside the regulating tank2 port and stb is a crossection of the venting duct from MBT 3 port and stb. passing through the regulatingtank 2 to the main vent boxes on top of the pressurehull as tried to show on my image below. The regulating tanks 2 port and stb have no connections to the fuel compensating system as they are only used as regulating tanks.
Tore

Thanks Tore.

I just got a email from a friend that translated for me 'Luftschacht'  = 'Ventilation shaft'   :D

Two questions:
  • Why do they need a Ventilation shaft, why couldn't they vent straight from the top of the tank?
  • I imagine the opening for the vent shaft would be at the bottom?

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #3433 on: 07 Feb , 2017, 00:36 »
I might be a little confused, so it vents from MBT 3 tank?

Tore, Don't worry about me just got a little confused, for some reason I was thinking it was venting the saddle tank not from MBT 3  :-[ :-[ :-[
« Last Edit: 07 Feb , 2017, 00:40 by NZSnowman »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #3434 on: 07 Feb , 2017, 00:54 »
Tore, Don & Maciek,

Anybody has any idea about the size of the emergency shut-off valves for MBT 3?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 11 Feb , 2017, 16:47 by NZSnowman »