Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576469 times)

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #3375 on: 26 Dec , 2016, 16:33 »

I know must of the openings above the exhaust maniford, but what is the Yellow opening?

White = Vent valves Opening - Main ballast/Reserve fuel oil tanks.
Orange = Main Exhaust Gas Blow Valve.
Green = HP air line.
Blue = Grease Distributors Opening.
Red = Exhaust Gas Flap Valve, Outboard Opening
Yellow = ??

The yellow opening is the HP line hull valve for the air bank 2 (two flasks above the diesel engine assembly patch).
I'm not sure about green opening - the valve handle looks like the valve used in the oxygen installation.

Regarding the green opening, I was not able to locate the similar valve at the port side - I'm almost sure there is only one valve.
Maybe it is the grease line for the FBT 2 residual air vent valve? Maybe the grease distributor nearby does not cover this one greasing point?
As far as I was able to trace both lines (from the unknown valve and grease distributor), they are going to grease hand-pump at the aft bulkhead of the diesel engine room.

--
Regards
Maciek
« Last Edit: 26 Dec , 2016, 16:35 by SnakeDoc »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #3376 on: 26 Dec , 2016, 20:03 »
Tore, we know that the Germans do not used Tab Washers on the internal pipe flanges bolts but used Tab Washers on all pipe flanges bolts that penetrated the pressure hull.

Do you think the Germans used Tab Washers on all the external pipe flanges outside the pressure hull or only on the pipe flanges that penetrated the pressure hull?
Simon.
I cannot remember for sure, but would be inclined to think they would use tabwashers or other locking devices on essential pipeflanges like fuel compensatingwater and ventducts.
Tore

and

Don.
From www. uboat archive.netU-570/British report.
Tore

Hi Don & Tore

I never thought about looking at this report for pipe dimensions. I have always estimated the pipe dimensions by plans and photographs. I was just flipping through the report and notice on page 40 "The diameter of the ventilation pipes leading into the ship from the conning tower fairwater is approximately 9 - 3/4"." which is 247 mm. I just checked my 3-D model and I had estimated this pipe dimensions as 246 mm :D Sorry about the inaccuracy of my model I will fixs this and will do better next time ;D ;D

This can give us confidence that we are heading in the right direction to workout how a U-boat works and is constructed!

I found two more measurements in the report.
  • The diameter of the opening of the vent valves of Fuel-Ballast Tank No's 2 & 4, U-570 was 401 mm, I had estimated 385 mm (4% error).
  • The diameter of Engine air induction pipe on U-570 was 546 mm I had estimated at 502 mm (8% error).

Today I fix the Engine air induction pipe diameter from 502 mm to 546 mm. So I added the tabwashers today ;D ;D

This images has been resized. Click to view original image.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #3377 on: 27 Dec , 2016, 10:30 »

I know must of the openings above the exhaust maniford, but what is the Yellow opening?

White = Vent valves Opening - Main ballast/Reserve fuel oil tanks.
Orange = Main Exhaust Gas Blow Valve.
Green = HP air line.
Blue = Grease Distributors Opening.
Red = Exhaust Gas Flap Valve, Outboard Opening
Yellow = ??

The yellow opening is the HP line hull valve for the air bank 2 (two flasks above the diesel engine assembly patch).
I'm not sure about green opening - the valve handle looks like the valve used in the oxygen installation.

Regarding the green opening, I was not able to locate the similar valve at the port side - I'm almost sure there is only one valve.
Maybe it is the grease line for the FBT 2 residual air vent valve? Maybe the grease distributor nearby does not cover this one greasing point?
As far as I was able to trace both lines (from the unknown valve and grease distributor), they are going to grease hand-pump at the aft bulkhead of the diesel engine room.

--
Regards
Maciek

Thanks, Maciek.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3378 on: 30 Dec , 2016, 03:23 »

Simon.
Sorry I have been away during the xmas season and coming back I experienced my PC is not working properly. Anyhow I read your last question and shall try to sum up the answers as per my image below. As to the green valve it is obviously an oxygen valve, if you look at the oxygen plan you`ll see at the port aft end is a oxygenvalve marked off as an oxygen supply to " rescuedivers". I guess you shall find a similar installation in the aft controlroom stb side next to the aft hydraulic pump. In the engineroom the complete fillinggear is not shown, it could have been removed later. As the the system plan shows only the valve it could even possibly be that the complete installation was not installed originally, only the connection. I cannot remember this Equipment, and the manual do not mention any outboard connection at this point.
It might be I shall not be able to communicate for some days as my computer have to be checked and serviced,. it is still under guaranty.
Whishing everybody a happy New year and see you hopefully some time early next year!
Tore
« Last Edit: 30 Dec , 2016, 03:26 by tore »

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #3379 on: 30 Dec , 2016, 08:19 »
Hi Tore,

it's good to hear from you again.

In my opinion, the valve in question can not be oxygen supply for the Drager rescue gears.
According to British Report on HMS Graph: (page 35)
To supply the oxygen bottles contained in the German equivalent of D.S.E.A. sets.  This is fitted in the control room.
On the attached drawing I have marked the fitting for connecting the Drager sets and "d" valve (with red color).

There are three other valves marked with letter "d" (I have marked them with blue color), but they are for cutting-off the branching lines supplying the oxygen to ventilation intake duct.
In the Diesel engine room the valve "d" as well as pressure-gauges and regulating valves are located at the aft bulkhead, at stb side.
The oxygen lines are thinner than the line leading to the valve in question.

Moreover, the shape of the valve-handle cannot be used for determining the function of the valve: in diesel engine room, near the cooling water intake hull valves are similar valves (see attachment).

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #3380 on: 01 Jan , 2017, 13:30 »
Re: Plate 13: Cooling-water system. http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570/U-570Plate13.htm

Valve 'o' - Drain valve should be on the bottom of the muffler?

Valve 'n' - Vent valve should be on the top of the muffler?

► Does anyone know what Valve 'n' - Vent valve look like?

Re: Plate 10: Fuel oil compensating system http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570/U-570Plate10.htm

► Does it matter where you take the hot water from the muffler for the Fuel Oil Compensating System?

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #3381 on: 02 Jan , 2017, 12:42 »
Tore & Don,

I think I found the expansion tank ;D

Couldn't the small round shape at the very bottom of the saddle tank which is also right next the compensating pipe and the kingstons be the expansion tank??

It has a smaller diameter pipe coming out of it (its been cut in half but you can see it above and heading forward to the compensating valve).

Images has been resized. Click to view original image

The last time I thought I’d found it, but this time I have really found it this time, the expansion tank  ;D ;D ;D

Checkout this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWXyNY_MHfo

At 1:35 the driver swim along the casting and we see the two MB & RFO 2 & 4 control arms.

At 1:42 you get a clear view of the expansion tank with the compensating pipe.

At 1:44 you get a great overview of the tank and pipe.

« Last Edit: 08 Jan , 2017, 15:06 by NZSnowman »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3382 on: 02 Jan , 2017, 13:06 »

Hi Simon,

Possibly the location of the drain valves "o" Vs. the vent valve "n" may have something to do with the temperature of the water in the muffler...  The hotter water will be on the top and the cooler water will be on the bottom.  That's my take on the valve locations, until Mr. Tore comments...

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 03 Jan , 2017, 20:01 by Don Prince »
A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #3383 on: 08 Jan , 2017, 15:03 »
I been checking more drive film.

Below is I believe the Fuel oil compensating system Pressure hull opening.

« Last Edit: 08 Jan , 2017, 15:06 by NZSnowman »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #3384 on: 09 Jan , 2017, 18:51 »
Hi Tore, Don & Maciek.

These are the best pictures of the Fuel oil compensating system & expansion tank, I have found so far.

To see fill size click https://www.flickr.com/photos/57740585@N04/32070927722/in/album-72157657431277710/

To see fill size click https://www.flickr.com/photos/57740585@N04/32181580976/in/album-72157657431277710/

To see fill size click https://www.flickr.com/photos/57740585@N04/32100839051/in/dateposted-public/
« Last Edit: 09 Jan , 2017, 18:56 by NZSnowman »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3385 on: 11 Jan , 2017, 19:51 »
Hi Simon,

I have labeled items on one of your images as to what I believe they are...  I am not sure about the rectangular opening in the lower area of Regulating Tank 2? Just for my own knowledge - How do you upload a huge file to this website and display a smaller image?

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #3386 on: 12 Jan , 2017, 03:43 »

Hi Don,

I have labeled items on one of your images as to what I believe they are...  I am not sure about the rectangular opening in the lower area of Regulating Tank 2?

The rectangular opening is the flood opening of the port negative buoyancy tank (Q-tank). See where it is located relative to the FuMO 30 antenna shaft. Both visible gears (you have marked one as FBT 4 flood valve and second as Q-tank flood valve) are in fact for the flood valves of the FBT 4 port.

Just for my own knowledge - How do you upload a huge file to this website and display a smaller image?

Simon is using external image hosting service (flickr.com), after uploading the image he places the url to image in the message text between [ url ] [ /url ] tags.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #3387 on: 12 Jan , 2017, 11:23 »
How do you upload a huge file to this website and display a smaller image?

Don, you can see all my photo's and pictures here https://www.flickr.com/photos/57740585@N04/albums
« Last Edit: 12 Jan , 2017, 16:03 by NZSnowman »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3388 on: 12 Jan , 2017, 15:50 »
Hi Maciek and Simon,

Two images attached...  The Q Tank section is very narrow and the Q Tank grill is square...

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #3389 on: 13 Jan , 2017, 01:00 »
Hi Don,

Two images attached...  The Q Tank section is very narrow and the Q Tank grill is square...

Indeed, U996 has square grill, however it can not mean anything, the grill shape could depend on the yard.
Look at the position of the radar antenna shaft and Q-tank position, they are almost at the same height.
Moreover, the driving shaft for the FBT is mounted horizontally, while for Q-Tank - aslant.

Look at the plating of the U 995 tanks. In the area of FBT you can see dented plates (because this tank is
not pressure-proof), while in the are of Q-tank (and regulating tanks) the plates are intact (because these
tanks are pressure-proof). Similarly with the wreck of U 352. I guess that we can look at the FBT interior now
because non-pressure-proof plating corroded, while the adjoining Q-tank is intact.

--
Regards
Maciek