Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576790 times)

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #3195 on: 05 Nov , 2016, 15:52 »
Hello Mr. Tore and Maciek,

Maciek, thank you for the info about the photo of the E-Motors...

I have uploaded Skizzenbuch to dropbox with the fixes to page 380 and hopefully my confusion about un-coupling the speed controller hand wheels is now correct for the Type VII C U-Boat...

Regards,
Don_

A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #3196 on: 05 Nov , 2016, 18:31 »

Plate 16: Flooding, venting, low pressure exhaust gas and emergency blowing systems http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570/U-570Plate16.htm

Hi Tore

I have a few questions:

Valve C - Emergency vent (flap) valve
  • Is this location within tank?
  • What does the vent (flap) valve look like?
  • Does the double line indicated that they handle was inside pressure hull?
Valve M - Drain valves
  • RFO Tank 1’s & Neg Buoy Tanks, or the open ocean?

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3197 on: 06 Nov , 2016, 01:21 »
Hi Simon,

Here is what I have...

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #3198 on: 06 Nov , 2016, 01:39 »
Hi Simon,

Here is what I have...

Regards,
Don_

Thanks Don.

Do you know if the Valve M - Drain valves, drain into the open ocean?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3199 on: 06 Nov , 2016, 03:27 »

Simon.
As you know there are extensive ventducts under the casingdeck and for the saddletanks you have even gatevalves in the ducts to be shut from outside the pressurehull when in fuelconfiguration. As the saddletanks venting ducts are interconnected in a stb and port system they are susceptible to damages like shrapnels, machinegunfire etc. If the ducts are damaged you are in fact damaging port or/and stb saddle ballasttanks, hence you have an emergency shutoff valve at the ventduct entrance to the tanks. The emergecy shut off valves are operated inside the pressurehull but as the handlewheels are usually removed they are hard to see. The double line on the plate is indeed indicating the pressurehull.
On some photos you might be able to see the valvespindle and the traditional valveindicator right above the chart table on the fwd. port side of the controlroom,as on my image below.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3200 on: 06 Nov , 2016, 03:37 »
Simon.
The drains m are situated in the ventingducts for the saddle ballasttanks under the casingdeck and has nothing to do with the RFO tk.1 or neg boyancy tanks.The drains are operated from outside the pressure hull to the sea.
Tore
« Last Edit: 06 Nov , 2016, 03:46 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #3201 on: 06 Nov , 2016, 05:56 »
Simon.
The drains m are situated in the ventingducts for the saddle ballasttanks under the casingdeck and has nothing to do with the RFO tk.1 or neg boyancy tanks.The drains are operated from outside the pressure hull to the sea.
Tore

What diameter do you think the drain would be?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3202 on: 06 Nov , 2016, 06:58 »
Simon.
I guess you found the diameter of the exhaust silencer drains previously and that diameter would probably match the vent duct drain.
Tore

Offline karel

• Ensign
« Reply #3203 on: 22 Nov , 2016, 08:15 »
Hi guys. Been super busy trying to get the multiplayer to work. Good news is that everything seems to be syncing correctly. I can pull levers and dials and information gets transferred trough the network to another player.

So i have been trying to figure out how the speed command system worked on u-boat.  I see that there is engine order telegraph in command room and there is engine order receiver in motor room.
If i had to guess then someone from command room dials in the command and it gets copied to the engine room telegraph? Then this information is used to adjust the motor speed manually by machinist?
But i also see a hand lever on order telegraph that is in the diesel room and i am not sure what is the reason. How did this all work exactly?

Many thanks.
Karel
« Last Edit: 22 Nov , 2016, 08:40 by karel »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3204 on: 22 Nov , 2016, 10:44 »

Karel.
The engine telegraph system consist of the order telegraphs, e.g. the telegraphs setting the orders. You have two sets (port and stb) of telegraphs one set in the conningtower and one set in the control room transmitting the COs or officer of watchs order to the dieselengineroom or e-motor room.
The orders given can be both direction of propellerrevs and the speed. For the dieselengines on the VIICs built after 1942 there was no reversing hence the dieselengine telegraphs could only order ahead revs and speed. As can be seen on the image below the telegraph could order increase of revs by 10, diesel engine operation  or e-motor operation as well as batterycharging. Maneuvring of uboats delivered later 1942, like alongside the jetty, you  used solely the E-motors.
When the engine order is given by the CO or officer of the watch, the helmsman put the orderlever in the ordered position which is transmitted to the diesel engine- or E-room. Prior to the execution of the order the engineer answeres, acknowledges, the order by putting the lever in the same position as the orderlever and adjust the engine. Likewise in the E- room where the electricians carry out the order in the same way.
When an order is given, a sound is made and a red light is flashing only to be stopped when the oder is acknowledged by the engine telegraphhandle.
Tore
« Last Edit: 22 Nov , 2016, 10:46 by tore »

Offline karel

• Ensign
« Reply #3205 on: 22 Nov , 2016, 11:16 »
Thank you.

Just to make sure if i get this correctly on how the information is switched between telegraphs.

When i give an order from command room and put the handle on full forward, when will the needle on my telegraph move to the forward position? Will it move only after the machinist has acknowledged the order by moving his handle?

So when i move handle on my telegraph the needle moves on diesel room telegraph. Machinist then acknowledges that order by moving his telegraph handle to the needle position.  And by doing so he activates the needle movement in the command room. This way the CO will get confirmation that the order has been carried on.  Is this right?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3206 on: 22 Nov , 2016, 11:38 »
Karel.
I Guess you got it. When you put the telegraph handle in the control room  to full ahead, the pointer on the engineroom telegraph moves to full ahead and the alarm is sounding and red ligth is flashing. When the acknowledgement handle on the engineroom telegraph is overlapping the new order pointer position, the flashing light and the audioalarm stops and the engineer is executing the order. In the controlroom the enginetelegraph aknowledgementpointer is moved simultaneously to match the orderhandle signalling the correct understanding and the audio alarm stops.
Tore 
« Last Edit: 22 Nov , 2016, 11:51 by tore »

Offline karel

• Ensign
« Reply #3207 on: 22 Nov , 2016, 12:41 »
That is wonderful :) I am coding this behaviour into my game.

And thank you again so much. Not just for this, but for all the information that you have given in this thread over the years. Discovering this knowledge source has made my job so much easier. I really appreciate it.

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3208 on: 24 Nov , 2016, 10:09 »
Hello Mr. Tore and All,

Today is Thanksgiving here in the USA and I have a lot to be thankful for this year... I am very grateful for all the new friendships that I have made on this website. This past year, I went to Schiffer Publishing in Atglen, Pennsylvania, who will publish "Skizzenbuch" this Spring 2017.  This book would not have been possible without the help from all of you.  Mr Tore, without your knowledge and experiences, Skizzenbuch would have been just another book of facts and drawings about U-Boats.  Your personal life experiences added the "Special Effects" to the book and will make a huge difference for the reader. As I said before, I have a lot to be thankful for this year...

Kind regards,
Don_ 
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3209 on: 24 Nov , 2016, 12:02 »
Don.
Thank you for the kind words and greetings which I Return by sending you my card from my farm in the deep forrests of Norway. I wish you all the luck with your Skizzenbuch and judging from the many questions put forward on this thread I guess there is a marked. Looking forward to seeing the final result.
Tore