Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576546 times)

Offline karel

• Ensign
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #3090 on: 16 Sep , 2016, 02:10 »
The name christmas tree was also confusing for me when i started my research. In U-boats the christmas tree was referred as the blowing panel. In US submarines the christmas tree was the indicator panel.

Tore
The last picture that you posted. I see one big red handwheel on upper hull. Between the green and grey valves. Do you know the purpose of that handwheel?
Also about the red blowing valves. Currently my game the main blowing valve working but i would also like to add the functionality for these smaller adjusting valves for individual ballast tanks. Can you help me identify them?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3091 on: 16 Sep , 2016, 02:51 »
Karel.
The large red wheel is the common blowing valve of the stb. and port Q tanks ( untertriebzelle). The wheel with a black rim is the stb Kingston ( floodvalve) for stb. Q. A similar Kingston is used for the port Q as well. The system consist of a cross over pipe to the port Q tank and is, in addition to blowing, used for venting the Qs inside the submarine via silencer as well. The port Q has a separate Kingston (flood valve).
Tore
« Last Edit: 16 Sep , 2016, 02:56 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3092 on: 16 Sep , 2016, 03:09 »
Karel.
 I discovered you ask me a question in another thread on canning. I guess you asked for the image of U 995 taken May 1945 in Trondheim. Below is same and practically no visible canning occurs in spite of a heavy war duty for almost 2 years in the Barentz Sea.
Tore

Offline karel

• Ensign
« Reply #3093 on: 16 Sep , 2016, 03:27 »
Karel.
 I discovered you ask me a question in another thread on canning.

Tore.
It probably was not me asking that. I have only been active in this thread.

About q tank floodvalve. You mentioned that similar valve was at the port side. I added a screenshot. Is this the valve for port Q tank flood?
« Last Edit: 16 Sep , 2016, 03:37 by karel »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3094 on: 16 Sep , 2016, 04:35 »
Karel.
Although the image is a bit dark but it looks like the port Q kingston. I am posting a new image showing the Q pipe/ valve arrangement at port side next to the chart table.
Tore

Offline VIC20

• Lt Cdr
    • WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic
« Reply #3095 on: 16 Sep , 2016, 05:57 »
Tore, could you explain how the light panel works and how its appearance change when in use?

Offline karel

• Ensign
« Reply #3096 on: 16 Sep , 2016, 06:06 »
Yes, that was the one. Thank you. So i now have the handwheel and lever locations tanks 1,5,3,2-4 stb&port,Q stb&port.

I am looking trough 360 panorama pictures and seeing tons of unidentified handwheels. I attached the screenshot, this one seems important due to its size. Very near to observation periscope. Do you know what it is for?

Also i realise that there is a good possibility that you may have already discussed this information with others to a great detail and with illustrative pictures. If this is so, and you still have these pictures which i cannot access due to forum crash then feel free to upload these again. I would love to take a look at them and learn as much as possible.
« Last Edit: 16 Sep , 2016, 06:08 by karel »

Offline maillemaker

• Ensign
« Reply #3097 on: 16 Sep , 2016, 06:51 »
Hi Tore,

I'm not seeing a picture for the oilcanning reply.

These responses are so awesome!  Thank you for telling us all about these u-boats!

I have another question:

On the Revell model, on the bottom of the saddle tanks there are two rows of 4 framed panels of some kind.  I am guessing they are drains of some kind for the saddle tanks.

I don't know if you know what these look like since they were usually underwater.  :)

Should they be grills or something?  I've seen some modelers make them as grills and others just leave them filled in as they come on the kit. 

Revell shows one grilled opening right next to them so if they were grilled I am surprised Revell did not mold in grill detail.  Perhaps they are copying U-995 in its restored state and maybe at Laboe they just covered the grills over.

Steve

Offline maillemaker

• Ensign
« Reply #3098 on: 16 Sep , 2016, 06:52 »
Hi Karel,

What game are you working on?  Is it the new multi-player one they are talking about over on subsim?

Steve

Offline VIC20

• Lt Cdr
    • WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic
« Reply #3099 on: 16 Sep , 2016, 07:42 »
I think he is working on completely different game for the Rift, at least that was what he showed me 2 years ago. (If he is the same Karel who contaceted me)

Offline karel

• Ensign
« Reply #3100 on: 16 Sep , 2016, 08:00 »
Hi Mark

Yes, that is me who contacted you years ago. Still hard at work and can really relate to you as i see how gigantic work this is to make a submarine game.

Hi Steve.
I am working on different game but since the guys who are making Marulken recently pivoted and started working on German U-boat then our game will probably have similarities and overlapping features.
Here is a year old article about hands on for our game vr demo. http://www.theriftarcade.com/hands-on-with-displacement-theory/

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3101 on: 16 Sep , 2016, 08:15 »
Tore, could you explain how the light panel works and how its appearance change when in use?
The light panels serves two purposes the upper indicates by light and text if the most important hullvalves are open or shut. The lower panel is a report panel from the various compartments if they are ready for diving. I am not 100% sure which lamp refer to which compartment except engine room and conningtower.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3102 on: 16 Sep , 2016, 08:41 »
Hi Tore,

These responses are so awesome!  Thank you for telling us all about these u-boats!

Steve.
The images you are showing are the kingstons on the saddle ballast tanks 2 and 4. The inlet with a grating is the kingston ( floodvalve ) for the Q tanks.
(untertriebzelle).See my image below and ask questions if any. For a model I believe it is probably correct to leave them open as can be seen on my model the should not have a grill.
Tore

I have another question:

On the Revell model, on the bottom of the saddle tanks there are two rows of 4 framed panels of some kind.  I am guessing they are drains of some kind for the saddle tanks.

I don't know if you know what these look like since they were usually underwater.  :)

Should they be grills or something?  I've seen some modelers make them as grills and others just leave them filled in as they come on the kit. 

Revell shows one grilled opening right next to them so if they were grilled I am surprised Revell did not mold in grill detail.  Perhaps they are copying U-995 in its restored state and maybe at Laboe they just covered the grills over.

Steve

Hi Tore,

I have another question:

Steve

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3103 on: 16 Sep , 2016, 08:46 »
Steve
The photo of the U 995 May 1945 showing the hull without any significant canning is below I guess it has vanished on other posts
Tore

Offline maillemaker

• Ensign
« Reply #3104 on: 16 Sep , 2016, 08:49 »
Hi Tore!

So the Kingston valves are basically big flaps, and on the ones on the saddle tank they open inwards, and on the bottom they open outwards?

So if they were closed, then the Revel kit should be fine as-is, I think.

That is great news - I saw one model builder's page where they had gone to great effort to make the Kingston openings on the saddle tanks have grills made from wire to look like the Q Inlet Valve. 

See about half-way down this page:  http://u-552.blogspot.com/2008_02_01_archive.html

Glad I don't have to do that!

Karel:  Your video demo looks great!  I would love a Silent Hunter game with those kinds of graphics and interaction!

Steve