Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 577188 times)

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #3000 on: 30 Apr , 2016, 11:13 »
Mr. Tore and Maciek,

Thank you all for the info...  Due to the placement of the aft torpedo in the deck casing; I highly doubt the aft torpedo could be launched during a surface attack on the Type VII A.

Regards,
Don_
A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #3001 on: 02 May , 2016, 01:04 »
Hi Don,

Due to the placement of the aft torpedo in the deck casing; I highly doubt the aft torpedo could be launched during a surface attack on the Type VII A.

I guess you are right. However, one should review available Schussmeldungen to tell for sure.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3002 on: 03 May , 2016, 17:05 »
Hi Maciek,

OK...  By the way you will need to re-upload your image as a jpeg to get the image right.  I had to do that to get my image corrected...

Regards,
Don_

Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3003 on: 04 May , 2016, 12:02 »
From time to time discussions pops up on the two "blisters" which are seen on both sides of the VIICs bow approximately between frame 77-78 or about the same location as the capstan. I have seen many fantasic speculations particulary related to the torpedo launching system. The " blisters" can be seen on the VIIBs as well. I have studied the arrangement and can not say my conclusion is 100 correct, but I assume the "blisters are the venting/ flooding gates for the very narrow difficult freeflood space between the pressurehull and the casing in this area. The flood/venting gates have a streamelined cover having outlet towards aft which creates a ejector effect when sailing ahead which facilitates efficient draining.
On my image below I have tried to explain my idea. On several drawings I have seen MBT 5 is including this void space, however on the original drawings MBT 5 has a bulkhead shutting off the space between frame 80 and the weldingseam for the fwd dome of the pressure hull. This bulkhead goes from the top to the centerline for the lower torpedotubes and from there slopes down to the aft floodgates at frame 76. Hence the void space between the pressurehull and the casing is a freeflood area which has to be drained (and flooded). The area is marked blue on my images. I have not yet seen modelbuilders considering this detail on the Revell kit.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3004 on: 04 May , 2016, 13:45 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

I like the new Avatar you have chosen for your online image...  I believe the Revell Type VII C U-Boat model does have the ejection ports you are describing.  At least according to the image I was able to pull from the internet (Ejection Port image), and  perhaps a bit too low.  My OTW 1/32 model had the ports in the fiberglass hull which called for them to be cut out (Ejection Port 2 image).  It took weeks to cut out all those holes in the fiberglass hull and seal them with epoxy glue so water would not wick up the fibers and ruin the finish...

Note the Revell model has an attachment between the fairing and the Fwd hydroplane, and the OTW model does not.

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 04 May , 2016, 14:02 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3005 on: 04 May , 2016, 14:29 »
Don.
Yes for sure all the Revell kits have the blisters, may be a bit too small, what I ment is up till now I haven`t seen somebody drilled a hole for the outlet of the blister. I took the opertunity to make a new avatar while the site was down I am happy you liked it, it`s more a navystyle.Unfortunately quite a few images disapeared I talked to Wink about it but unfortunately he can`t recovered same but mentioned possibly to make a gallery if I could find back all the hundreds I made I am glad you downloaded what you needed for the Skizzenbook.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3006 on: 04 May , 2016, 17:59 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

I still have all the images that I downloaded from the web site; plus many of the images with a series of changes until the final version in Skizzenbuch. In addition, I have 100's more form the net, Maciek, and you.

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3007 on: 04 May , 2016, 23:12 »
Don.
Good to hear I`ll revert if Wink consider to make a gallery.
Torel

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3008 on: 09 May , 2016, 06:07 »
Don.
Got a message today, they are going to invest money to make a gallery within the site. I`ll guess we`ll get the info when same is ready. I think such a gallery would be of great interest and value to Uboat enthusiasts around the world. Allthough not yet fully aware how it would work I am looking forward to using it.
Tore

zhuravlik

« Reply #3009 on: 09 May , 2016, 09:10 »
Hallo zusammen,
i'm the idiot who photoshopped the Kya picture.
I'm converting Revell 05100 to KNM Kya and I needed that photo for reference and showing purpose.
Since I can't open those photos at page 169 and 170 of this thread( get error "bogus dqt index 10") would you please upload them again?

Thanks in advance,

Frank.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3010 on: 09 May , 2016, 10:26 »
Frank.
The conversion of KNM Kya startet about 1959 I left her 1956. Our submarine designer had just finished his work converting our old british U class submarines which did not had a schnorchel, hence modernising the U class involved a major rebuild not only a sailtower but a telescopic schnorchelmast as well. Prior to our major newbuildingprogramme 15 submarines in Germany we looked into the possibility of modernizing our 3 VIICs. Our chief designer Kaare Hegstad used pretty much his experience with the rebuilding of what we called the Ula class eg. the British U (V) class but choose to keep the hinged original german schnorchel which got a homing into the sail. A few faked photoshopped Kyas exist but only one was actually rebuild showed on the photo below.
« Last Edit: 09 May , 2016, 23:52 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3011 on: 09 May , 2016, 10:31 »
Frank.
A Photo of the KNM Kya in my time shows the old norwegian tower, three deckcontainers and she had of course three Kingstons on MBT 3 on both sides as all the VIICs.
Tore
« Last Edit: 10 May , 2016, 05:36 by tore »

zhuravlik

« Reply #3012 on: 09 May , 2016, 10:44 »
Te Deum laudamus!
Thank you very much, Mr Tore!!!

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3013 on: 09 May , 2016, 11:21 »
For your interest, here is an image of one of our U class submarines with the new sailtower, including schnorchel. As you see it looks very much like the sailtower of KNM Kya, same designer.
Tore 

zhuravlik

« Reply #3014 on: 10 May , 2016, 09:39 »
Mr. Tore, you are great, really!

I don't know how to manifest my extreme gratitude for your photo.
If you want to follow my WIP, please see:
http://forum.sub-driver.com/forum/builder-threads/2938-1-144-u-boat-type-viic-41-knm-kya-ex-u-926
I'm converting that Revell kit (05100) into a R/C model.

I begun to look for infos about this boat in March 2015 and, after a while found that double profile drawing with "K-klasse etter ombygging" writing below.
That convinced me the boat was really converted because Eberhart Rössler's U-boot (ISBN8840373810) is vague about this.
So i started the project, still lacking some infos but looking hard for them in the www.
Found several U-klasse sub photos and, recently even this one:
http://digitaltmuseum.no/021015532143/motiv-k-klasse-undervannsbat-knm-kya-s307-med-ombygget-bro-1960-skipssjef-kapteinloytnant-h-b-ellingsen
Some photos of this database are not available and, guess wich?
http://digitaltmuseum.no/search?rows=72&type_filter=Photograph&query=kya

Best regards,
Frank