Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576488 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #2550 on: 20 Mar , 2015, 03:34 »
The big contrast from suddenly leaving the rough stormy surface and in a matter of seconds to be submerged in the calm quite sea was something you really had to experience to understand. This has inspired me to make paintings which I have put together in an image below, showing a 1953 fantasy situation of KNM Kaura crossing the normally rough Westfjord near Lofoten islands in Northern Norway meeting the old express steamer s/s Lofoten and underneath Kaura in a snorting mode in the same area, enclosed in the green Arctic sea. As the weather on the surface image was not suitable for snorting I "calmed" the lower image weather.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #2551 on: 20 Mar , 2015, 12:39 »
The big contrast from suddenly leaving the rough stormy surface and in a matter of seconds to be submerged in the calm quite sea was something you really had to experience to understand. This has inspired me to make paintings which I have put together in an image below, showing a 1953 fantasy situation of KNM Kaura crossing the normally rough Westfjord near Lofoten islands in Northern Norway meeting the old express steamer s/s Lofoten and underneath Kaura in a snorting mode in the same area, enclosed in the green Arctic sea. As the weather on the surface image was not suitable for snorting I "calmed" the lower image weather.
Tore

Tore, great painting! Are they oil?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2552 on: 20 Mar , 2015, 12:46 »
Simon The upper is an oil my 2nd oilpainting of Kaura still a bit unfinished, the lower is a computersketch to be oilpainted later.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2553 on: 20 Mar , 2015, 18:56 »
Hello Mr Tore,

Excellent art work; you are a man of many talents!  I updated page 426 and 427 of Skizzenbuch and uploaded it to dropbox.  I hope you approve...

Regards,
Don_
A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2554 on: 21 Mar , 2015, 01:46 »
Don.
You may use the painting, however as you have stretched it, the bow and tower is a bit out of proportion particularly the bow is far to pointed. As the sea is OK I have corrected the bow and tower on your stretched version, you better use this image for your Skizzenbuch. By a mistake of me, the steamer on the image is S/S Finmarken and not Lofoten.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2015, 02:38 by tore »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2555 on: 21 Mar , 2015, 20:10 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

Thank you for correcting my error (I do apologize!)...  At this point, I believe "Skizzenbuch" is finished!  I haven't made any large additions for quite awhile.  I have two publishers looking at Skizzenbuch; Pen and Sword (UK), and Schiffer Publishing (US).  I can't say for sure my Skizzenbuch will ever be published because of the format (Huge 11 x 17) and a quite unknown author (me!).  However. if the book gets published, I am obligated to send 2 copies to u-historia.com (Owner and Artist) for the use of their line drawings.  In addition, a copy will be sent to you and Maciek because I could not have written/assembled Skizzenbuch without all the help from you gentlemen!

I uploaded the latest version of Skizzenbuch into dropbox...

Kind regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2556 on: 22 Mar , 2015, 01:54 »
Don.
At the finishing point of your Skizzenbuch I wish you all the luck in your endeavour of a publishing attempt. It has become an unique book of a special topic and allthough not dealing with the interest of the masses, it would be a prime dictionary for those who shares the interest for the VIIC being by far the largest number of a submarinetype ever built.
Keep us posted.
Tore 

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2557 on: 23 Mar , 2015, 00:32 »
Hello Mr. Tore and Maciek,

Upon Maciek's suggestion, I have added 6 pages (290 - 295) to the Torpedo section about the TDC.  Maciek has done some extraordinary work on the web site http://tvre.org/en/home-page which covers all aspects of targeting.  I had to limit the info used to some general knowledge on the TDC because I didn't want the reader of Skizzenbuch to have to pull out his/her High School Trigonometry book as a reference.  However, I did point them to the web site if they want the in depth details.

I have uploaded the latest version of Skizzenbuch to dropbox...

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #2558 on: 24 Mar , 2015, 09:20 »
Hi Tore,

when you served on board of Norwegian submarines, did you sail on Arctic waters?

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2559 on: 24 Mar , 2015, 09:27 »
Maciek.
Most of the time we operated north of the Artic circle and as I previously adviced we did a schnorchling test 28 days submerged from Bergen around Iceland almost to Greenland and back.
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #2560 on: 24 Mar , 2015, 10:01 »
Tore, do you remember the navigational issues? While schnorcheling for 28 days, I guess you have to dead-reckoning (no inertial navigation aids?).

--
Thanks, regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2561 on: 24 Mar , 2015, 11:42 »
Maciek.
As you know I am not a navigator and my knowledge on the matter is limited, but I called my friend and No1 on Kaura during this schnorcheling and he told me the main tool for the navigation was the echosounder. We had very extensive charts showing fairly accurate depths in addition to detailed current data and occasional star observation. But the main navigation tool apart from the compass was the echosounder.
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #2562 on: 24 Mar , 2015, 15:22 »
Hi Tore,

As you know I am not a navigator and my knowledge on the matter is limited, but I called my friend and No1 on Kaura during this schnorcheling and he told me the main tool for the navigation was the echosounder. We had very extensive charts showing fairly accurate depths in addition to detailed current data and occasional star observation. But the main navigation tool apart from the compass was the echosounder.

Thank you very much for your answer. The occasional star observations were done through the periscope or while surfacing for a moment?

--
Thanks, regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2563 on: 24 Mar , 2015, 15:33 »
Maciek.
Very few starobservations through the navigation periscope, we never surfaced, that was a part of the test.
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #2564 on: 25 Mar , 2015, 01:08 »
Very few starobservations through the navigation periscope, we never surfaced, that was a part of the test.

Tore, thank you for the answer.

--
Regards
Maciek