Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 577867 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #2400 on: 04 Dec , 2014, 09:56 »
Unbelievable, I`ll show it to the grandchildren. Reminding me of the longest submerged trip I ever made with good old KNM Kaura ex U-995. We were testing out long time schnorchling and was submerged for 28 days Norway-Greenland and return. We had no radio contact except Rugby and the time could be pretty boring so we let our radio operator be our entertainment man making musicprogrammes based on our stock of LPs. Just that autumn a new rock and roll was introduced on the market and we got it over the loadspeakers twice an hour during 28 days. The name of the melody: Rock around the clock tonight ! The only rock and roll I know. ;D
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2401 on: 04 Dec , 2014, 12:14 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

Listening to Rap Music for 28 days would have been maddening!  By the way "Rock around the clock" was about the first "Rock n' Roll" songs ever, and it was performed by Bill Haley and the Comets!

Regards,
Don_
A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2402 on: 04 Dec , 2014, 20:27 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

I have corrected the following:

47 - Reg tanks
84 - Tools
91 - Junkers  (the 2 cylinder) that was getting ahead of myself when typing with 2 fingers.  I never learned to type, so I have limitations!  I was supposed to type "a single cylinder 2 piston diesel engine"???  also I added a note about the exhaust valve being a logical estimation...
136 - pumps

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 04 Dec , 2014, 20:48 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline VIC20

• Lt Cdr
    • WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic
« Reply #2403 on: 04 Dec , 2014, 20:55 »
Listening to Rap Music for 28 days would have been maddening!

My tolerance for this kind of music ends long before a single song is over. It is only bearable when I turn on the "audio professional analyzing mode" (which means I would have to work on it) - in that mode your brain makes it possible for you to survive endless loops of the same 5 seconds over a whole day (any kind of music), something that others would call torture. After I've switched my work (sound engineer) from music to movies I've stopped listening to music at all and enjoyed the silence.
But I've also stopped watching any movies during a long period of that time. When I've first saw a full movie after 7 years (as a continuing story and not in weird loop fragments for work) the emotional influence on me while watching it was extreme. I think frequently watching movies clearly has an impact on how you brain handles emotions, maybe we are all always kind of saturated to an unnatural permanent level of emotional input.

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2404 on: 04 Dec , 2014, 21:40 »
Yep!!!

I know what you mean.  I purchased a Samsung 55 inch HDTV with 3D and a Bose sound system about 2 years ago!  We moved to the Atlanta Georgia area over a year ago and purchased a new home.  I got the basic internet package (20 mb) with just has local TV channels,  Since I have been working on Skizzenbuch, I've probably watched 2 Blue Ray DVDs in the past year. I like the quiet as well!

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #2405 on: 05 Dec , 2014, 00:59 »
Hi Gentlemen,

Page 136 Aux. luboilpump. The pump you describe is the fueloil transferpump which can be connected to the luboilsystem and thus used as an auxiliary luboil pump.

I would rather say that it is inversely. German documents say:

Auxiliary lubricating oil pump.

The auxiliary lubricating oil pump serves for the lubricating of the engines before start-up, and backs-up the attached engine oil pumps in case of failure.  The pump is an electrically driven vertically arranged screw pump and supplies 38 m³/hour of oil at a discharge head 50 of meters H2O with at least 5 meters suction inlet head.  The auxiliary lubricating oil pump can be used by change-over for the distribution of fuel oil.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2406 on: 05 Dec , 2014, 02:16 »
Maciek and Don.
Maciek is absolutely right, the aux. luboil pump is primarily a luboil pump which can be used  as fuel transferpump as well. It was used as luboilpump every time you started the mainengines and when you turned the engines during maintenance. So to make it clear: due to a shortcircuit I changed the priority it is a luboil pump which can be used as fueltransfer pump not the other way.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2407 on: 05 Dec , 2014, 08:44 »
Don.
You Skizzenbuch 16 seems to be OK. May be you should make the text on the photo of the gauge for regulator tanks 2 port and stb and regulator/ fuel oilbunker tanks 1 port and stb a bit clearer. See my picture below showing the regulating tank 2 port water gauge is aft of the port water/ fuelgauge for reg./fuel bunker tk.1. On stb. side it is opposite, the water gauge for reg.tank 2 is fwd of the gauge for fueloil bunker tk. 1
« Last Edit: 05 Dec , 2014, 08:53 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2408 on: 06 Dec , 2014, 00:20 »
Don.
In your Skizzenbuch no 16 page 132, you have a nice photo of a pressurehull construction showing the fwd. engineroom area. You text says: "....The two domed exhaustcasting have been bolted in place on the pressurehull." The valves shown on the photo are the pressure hull inlet- and outlet valves for the ventilation system to be connected to the respective airducts going forward to the inlet valves high up in the towercasing and operated from the control room. The system is later modified for the schnorchel system as shown on the image below.
The large duct is the Diesel air supply to be connected to the dieselair hullvalve. See photo. Another interesting detail on this photo is a clear view of the dieselengine hatch which is riveted.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2409 on: 06 Dec , 2014, 19:00 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

I have uploaded the latest version of Skizzenbuch into dropbox...

Pages 48 - 49 Per Tore: added text to the gauge drawings
Pages 344 - 345 Per Don_: added Toggle Switchboard schematic from Deutsches U-Boot-Museum in Cuxhaven, Germany.

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2410 on: 07 Dec , 2014, 01:10 »
Don.
Skizzenbuch 17 page 48-49. Measuring gauge for stb regulating/ f.o. bunker tk 1 is the aft gauge, thus opposite to the port arrangement, kind of weird as the reg./f.o. tk. 1 is the aft tank on both sides. Your image from the port side is correct. On a very sharp photo this can be seen on the scale, smallest volume 3.600 liter is the reg./f.o. tk. no 1. see photo.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2411 on: 08 Dec , 2014, 00:04 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

Page 49 corrected and the latest version of Skizzenbuch was uploaded to dropbox...

That switch was not a logical move on the part of the Germans!

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2412 on: 08 Dec , 2014, 06:21 »
Don.
Page 49 checked OK. You still insist the ventilation hullvalves are the exhaust valves on the photo page 132. See my post dec. 6th.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2413 on: 08 Dec , 2014, 17:57 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

I corrected page 132 as per your information and drawing...  I did not forget to do so earlier, but I had to go Christmas shopping with my wife Maureen during the weekend.  It worked out very well for me;  Maureen purchased a very nice (expensive) 26 inch mother of pearl World Globe in a brushes steel cradle floor stand for my library.  I guess Santa Clause came a bit early for me this year!

I uploaded the latest version of Skizzenbuch into dropbox...

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 08 Dec , 2014, 18:19 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2414 on: 08 Dec , 2014, 22:57 »
Don.
Page 132 checked OK. Finally we got rid of that exhaust in the ventilation system and can breathe fresh air! ;D
Tore