Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576286 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #2340 on: 05 Nov , 2014, 00:29 »
Don.
I checked your latest Skizzenbuch and have a  few remarks. Plate 17 page 190-199 on the blowing distributing panel you have omitted the branch no 11 being the supply to the blowing panel for the regulating fo.tank and the Q tanks. On page 197 emergency blowing is just a minor thing, referring to a geographical area as the eastern sea, I guess it should be the Baltic. I  have made a sketch of the venting system of MBT 3 showing the valve arrangement and the venting ducts going through the port and stb. regulating tanks.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2341 on: 05 Nov , 2014, 10:42 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

Originally, I had an item No 11 for the blowing manifold...  I thought it was strange; the U-Boat Manual had an item 11, but only 10 in the drawing....  So, I deleted the 11th entry.  Now, I put it back...

Regards,
Don_
A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #2342 on: 05 Nov , 2014, 14:31 »
Hello Gentlemen,

Originally, I had an item No 11 for the blowing manifold...  I thought it was strange; the U-Boat Manual had an item 11, but only 10 in the drawing....  So, I deleted the 11th entry.  Now, I put it back...

the item 11 is hard to notice - I have marked it with red circle.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2343 on: 06 Nov , 2014, 00:33 »
Hello Mr. Tore and Maciek,

I looked at that blowing manifold many times and missed item 11.  Perhaps I need to get those cataracts taken care of very soon!

I uploaded a new version of Skizzenbuch to dropbox this morning...
Page 292 -  Tore's MBT 3 Drawing and info
Page 192 -  added item No 11
Page 197 -  changed to "Baltic"
Page 199 -  added Bordabschlusse und Klar Tafel - or light panel (info from Maciek)

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2344 on: 06 Nov , 2014, 02:17 »
Don.
I have checked you last update of your Skizzenbuch and it seems to be OK. Only a few minor remarks ( Can`t resist. ;D ) You have changed to Baltic one place but East Sea is still in the text. I believe the east sea nomination derive from that we who lives near the Baltic usually call the Baltic sea for the East sea, but in English I guess Baltic  would be the correct name.
You are using the word close when you are referring to items to be shut. In Royal Navy submarine English one of the first ting you are told is, never use the word close, always shut. The reason is that for a vital word on board a submarine like shut there has to be only one word for shut, any other word is forbidden to prevent misunderstanding or confusion. I am not familiar with the US submarine customs.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2345 on: 06 Nov , 2014, 13:01 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

I fixed the one East Sea to Baltic Sea.  In addition, I did a WORD search and replace on the word "close, and closed" and replaced them with "shut"... 

I believe this will close (OOPS.. SHUT) the issue.

Latest Skizzenbuch was uploaded to dropbox.

Kind regards,
Don_

PS - if close or closed is in a drawing image, than that will remain because WORD can't read images.
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2346 on: 07 Nov , 2014, 00:54 »
Hello again Mr. Tore,

I went through Skizzenbuch and I believe there were 6 images with the word/words "closed" in them.  I went to my images folder and modified the original images and pasted them into Skizzenbuch.  So, I believe all instances of "closed" has been removed form the latest revision of Skizzenbuch, and it's in dropbox...

Regards,
Don_

PS: So far I have learned two words; SHUT and SCHNORCHEL...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2347 on: 07 Nov , 2014, 01:23 »
Don.
What a relief, now we don`t have a disaster by giving unclear orders. ;D
I just noticed you have in your Skizzenbuch some interesting photos on the HP blowing and exhaustblowing of the main ballasttanks. I have put same up to show a typical surfacing procedure.
To the left is the controlroom engineer  blowing all the main ballasttanks having his eyes fixed on the blowing manometers ready to shut the main blowing valve when the order from the CO is stop blowing.
The next photo shows the controlroom engineer again having his eyes fixed on the manometer adjusting the exhaust gas pressure for MBT 1 and 5 which means he has finished blowing 2 and 4 saddletanks ( if not in fueloil configuration) and is ready to switch over to MBT3 as soon as 1 and 5 are empty.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2348 on: 07 Nov , 2014, 06:32 »
Don.
Referring to your latest Skizzenbuch I shall just mention a couple of beautyspots. Page 76 explanation of a gatevalve. The gate valve, particularly those used as isolation for the ventducts of fuelballasttanks 2 and 4, are more like a substitute for blindflanges. The advantages above a blindflange is they are easier to shut than putting in a blindflange. Yet ,when not in use, they have the "gate" out of the way thus no obstruction in the pipeflow. The construction is as can be seen on my picture below. The use of a inboard ventilation valve may be a bit misleading for an outboard gatevalve as the ventilation valve has a different shutting arrangement.
A very minor remark. On page 251 you are correctly referring to type XIV as a Milk Cow, however the German name is Milch Kuh and not Kul.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2349 on: 08 Nov , 2014, 17:58 »

I corrected the spelling error for 'Milk Cow" - Kuh

I added Mr. Tore's rendition of the two crewmen using the blowing valves and removed the two lone photos.  That way I don't need to change the page numbers and the index.   The latest version of Skizzenbuch is in dropbox.

Also, I uploaded a new folder "U-Boat Museum" which contains about 40 images of wiring / e-motor / speed controller information.  Mr. Tore, you are welcome to what's there...  Maciek has access as well.

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2350 on: 09 Nov , 2014, 00:14 »
I re-sized the files in the U-Boat Museum folder to 8.5 x 11.75 to get rid of the blank space and rotated the files to be up right...

Regards,

Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2351 on: 09 Nov , 2014, 02:28 »
Don.
Where do I find your U boat Museum folder? Dropbox? It is not yet there as far as I can see.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2352 on: 09 Nov , 2014, 11:29 »

Sorry, I just assumed since you had access to the Skizzenbuch folder that you would have access to everything under the folder.  I just sent you all a link to the U-Boat Museum folder,

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2353 on: 09 Nov , 2014, 12:02 »
Don.
Got it looking forward to reading it, Working on scanning the high voltage scheme.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2354 on: 09 Nov , 2014, 23:47 »
Don.
Your Skizzenbuch is increasing in volume yet there are further items to consider worth while  to be included.
The VIICs are equipped with possibly one of modern technology`s last and most advanced use of mechanical transmissions. Hundreds of links, rods , traveling nuts, bearings and bevelgears installed required a substantial maintenance for safe operation. Greasing and lubrication is one of the major factors. The greasing system consist of two major greasepumps with container, one  A situated in the engineroom stb aft side next to the main engine clutch handle, the other B, in  the forward torpedo compartment stb side just aft of the torpedotubes ( next to the visitor door on museum U 995). From these grease pumps pipes goes via a hullcock through the pressurehull to a selector/distributor and then to various difficult spots outside the pressurehull. The outboard selector is controlled by a handle inside the pressurehull as can be seen on my sketch below. Please note the details on the construction are assumptions from my side as no drawings are available.
Further to the system are grease cups practically fitted everywhere there are moving parts,  travelling nuts would have a flexible grease hose as can be seen on the Kingstons on plate 28. Most of these Kingston greasing spots are fed by greasecups in the control room. Many of the grease cups of the museums U 995 are gone, only some pipes and under parts of the grease cups remains.
The system was extensive and labour consuming and we had a PO responsible for the weekly greasing routines.
Tore
« Last Edit: 11 Nov , 2014, 23:20 by tore »