Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576227 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #1485 on: 20 May , 2013, 13:20 »
Hi Tore,

thanks for your answers.

May be I better take one question at the time that's probably enough for an old man. Muffler comes in a wide range of design, the basic for a gas (air ) muffler is it destroys the vibration energy so the air escapes without noise. I never looked inside the U 995 air muffler but I am pretty sure it consisted of some kind of baffle plates and the air escaped though holes in the outer casing. If you look at the photo of the Kubische Panorama you are able to see the holes. Below is an example how a muffler looks inside.

Thanks, I did not notice these holes - now it's clear for me.

As the regulating tanks, are not connected to the pressure water compensating system , the pipes are used, when the regulating tanks are used as fueltanks, as  air pressurepipes to the tanks in order to transfer the fuel to the internal fuelsystem, as you see it is possible to use this LP air to the saddle ballast tanks 2 and 4 port/stb as well.

Sigthglasses are used for checking the drain from the tanks like fuel, water, air etc. An important item, you don`t want to have fuel in the bilge.
Obviously if you used funnels for these pipes the purpose of the mufflers are gone.

Well, I must confess, I do not understand it. How can the fuel or water get to this pipe? During which operation? And when the fuel (or water) get there, does not affect the muffler?

The matter why the funnels are not used, is now clear for me.

--
Thanks, regards

Maciek

Maciek.
F. inst when the regulating tanks are used as RFO tanks you are filling fuel into the non watercompensated, regulating and RFO tanks 1 port and stb you open the valves in the violet lines to the tanks and fuel is entering the tanks usually by gravity,  further you open the valve as shown on the green pipes in order to let the air escape  from the tanks via the sigth glasses and muffler. You check through the sigthglasses to be sure when the tank is nearly full that only air and no fuel enters the bilges. The mufflers are not very  sensitive to clean non aggressive liquids.
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #1486 on: 21 May , 2013, 02:12 »
Thanks Tore, now I understand.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1487 on: 21 May , 2013, 13:49 »
Maciek.
Muffler inboard venting  Q tank.
I should probably mention an important use for this system. As you most probably know a common practise for a submarine attack is to fire your torpedoes and then go deep.
This should be done as quick as possible and off course very silent. That is the purpose of the Q tanks and the discussed inboard venting.At the attack the Q tank Kingstons are open. At the COs order the main inboard ventvalve is open and both Q tanks are quickly filled via the Kingstons (yellow line venting mode) the submarine sinks and the inboard venting sound is silenced leaving no sound and outside airbubbles to reveal your position. The main vent  is immediately shut as seawater is coming into the bilge and a man is stand by at the  Q tanks main blowingvalve waiting for the order to blow the tank empty ( green line blowing mode) at required depth. May be all this is pretty obvious for you but anyhow I thougth it  worth to mention.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1488 on: 07 Jul , 2013, 14:35 »
High voltage E-system Blohm & Voss drawings.
Looking into some of my papers, I came across the other day a drawing made by the shipyard Blohm & Voss-Steinwarder and marked U-101 corrected 1943.It shows the complete lay out of the high voltage electric plant of VII C as made by Blohm & Voss, I guess I have kept it from my first year on board KNM Kaura ex.U-995. I realize this can only be of interest for some very few enthusiasts, but I nevertheless just mention this in case somebody should have any interest of a copy of some details. The drawing is almost 1,60 meter and the quality is not great, so I guess I can only make copy of particularly required details.
Tore
« Last Edit: 07 Jul , 2013, 14:43 by tore »

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #1489 on: 08 Jul , 2013, 10:57 »
Tore u're unique!

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #1490 on: 09 Jul , 2013, 15:07 »
Hi Tore,
The drawing is almost 1,60 meter and the quality is not great, so I guess I can only make copy of particularly required details.

I'm one of those interested in seeing it as a whole :) If it is not possible I would like to see details related with main and auxiliary switchboards.

--
Thanks, regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1491 on: 09 Jul , 2013, 23:52 »
Hi Maciek.
I had an idea you are interested. I have made a few photos of the Schalt-tafel in the E-room as shown below to have an idea about the quality. May be we could go step by step in the same manner if you believe it is of interest. I shall try to stretch the paper a bit. I presume I did the colouring of the different lines way back in time.
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #1492 on: 10 Jul , 2013, 09:35 »
Hi Tore,

this is my interpretation of one these drawings. Some of its elements are obvious, others not.
I have marked with blue ovals parts, which I can not recognize, but I would like to know what they are.
I'm confused about rotary converters. I have counted five - four (marked 2 - 5) look like single armature
converters and one (marked with 1 and labeled as Radio Sender) looks like double armature converter.
I'm trying to match these with informations from U-boat Information for U-boat Type VIIC (page 175)
http://uboatarchive.net/Manual.htm
but with no luck for now.

--
Thanks, regards
Maciek

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #1493 on: 10 Jul , 2013, 09:43 »
On the second drawing I recognized two driving motors for two air fans (but which one is which - exhaust or intake - I do not know), and two motors for pumps - lubricating oil auxiliary pump and cooling water auxiliary pump - again - I do not now which one is which.
With blue ovals I have marked parts, which I do not recognize.

Tore, these drawings are great!

--
Thanks, regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1494 on: 10 Jul , 2013, 10:26 »
Maciek.

The upper blue oval shows, I presume, top motor for luboil purifier, under: seawaterheater for purifier and then  lower: dirty oil heater. The next smaller oval is electric heating ( heizung 4) and the lower circle heating ( heizung 3 ). I shall try to make photos a bit more systematic starting from aft and hope to be able to post it in the course of the week.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1495 on: 10 Jul , 2013, 11:51 »
Maciek
Here are the first photos starting from aft torp- E room .
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1496 on: 10 Jul , 2013, 11:57 »
E- diagram
More photos, engineroom and galley and aft pto mess.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1497 on: 10 Jul , 2013, 12:01 »
E- diagram Controlroom
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1498 on: 10 Jul , 2013, 12:20 »
Maciek
Here are the final photos. It is all done in a hurry and I have not been able to check the details. If you are missing something just let me know.
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #1499 on: 10 Jul , 2013, 15:09 »
Tore,
If you are missing something just let me know.

Thank you very much.
I wonder, if you could make photos of top parts of the pictures e1, e2, e4
and bottom parts of the pictures e3, e5, e7 and e8.
There is also some part missing between e2 and e3, e5 and e7.

--
Thanks, regards
Maciek