Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576713 times)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #945 on: 02 Jan , 2013, 11:36 »
Simon.
Valvechests.
May be an explanation of a valvechest makes a difficult system easier to understand. As seen below the valvechest has 5 chambers, two suction, drain    ( blue) and pressure, discharge (red) and three distribution chambers. There are two connections to the suctionchamber and two connections to the dischargechamber. By the use of 6 valves in the chest you are able to connect the various pipelines either to suction(drain) or pressure ( discharge) chambers.
Below I have tried to visualize how the system works leaving out the fuelsystem to simplify.
Tore

Thanks Tore!

Very useful, will start updating my drawing this morning.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #946 on: 02 Jan , 2013, 11:37 »
Simon.
I believe the valvechest for filling the luboil storage tanks is placed just underneath the main luboil valvechest as shown on the photo below.
Tore

Great found! I been looking for this :) :)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #947 on: 02 Jan , 2013, 14:58 »
Engine Lubricating Oil System continue to grow

Piping between the Engine lubricating oil manifold and the Lubricating Oil Hand Pump. I was not able to workout the original German pipe layout for this section :(, so this is my best estimation. I am sure this will change over time as I keep adding more piping, valves etc...

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #948 on: 03 Jan , 2013, 00:16 »
Simon.
So far so good, I`ll see if I can figure out more details on the pipe. I am not sure about the valve/ pipebranch for the fwd bilge, drain/floodconnection, I thought it was more forward, port side of the galley/engineroom door.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #949 on: 03 Jan , 2013, 00:43 »
Simon.
So far so good, I`ll see if I can figure out more details on the pipe. I am not sure about the valve/ pipebranch for the fwd bilge, drain/floodconnection, I thought it was more forward, port side of the galley/engineroom door.
Tore

Tore, this is a very good question about valve/pipe branch for the fwd bilge. I have never like this section of pipe but I thought I was following the plans. However, I just rechecked them and now I can not found it now on the plan. I will look into this in detail in the morning.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #950 on: 03 Jan , 2013, 02:05 »
Simon.
Sometime the landscape doesn`t fit the map. My handpump theory is the hoseconnection for hand pumpsuction is placed near the main valvechest as can be seen on the photo below. The rest of the system is pretty obvious as can be seen on the other pictures, the blue colour had to be change into purple as it disappeared in the bad qualityphoto. Note the tiny details with the luboil consumption tank, it was topped up by the handpump and used for filling the handcarried oilcans (rockerarms lubrication) that`s why the two tiny cocks and the driptray underneath the tank.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #951 on: 03 Jan , 2013, 04:38 »
Simon.
Checking my morning post I see the 3rd photo of the luboil pumpsystem somehow did not turned up in the attached pictures :( , so down below it is. ;)
Tore 

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #952 on: 03 Jan , 2013, 05:55 »
Off the topics.
Today the Royal Norwegian Navy is conducting a new investigation of the famous U-864, a IXC which was sunk by the Royal Navy's submarine HMS Venturer February 1945 on her maiden voyage 2-3 nautical miles off the Norwegian westcoast. All hands, 73 men lost . On the net are extensive details of a fascinating hunt for the U864. U-864 was on a secret mission " Cesare" transporting Messesmitt jet engineparts to Japan as well as 65 tonnes of mercury and the wreck was discovered by the Royal Norwegian Navy October 2003. She is laying in two parts at approximately 150 meters depth. Even today a German WW2 submarine is creating difficulties, as corrosion increase the risk of mercury leaking into the sea, up to this date 13 million US dollars has been spent to figure out what to do with the mercury leakage. Even with the sophisticated equipment we have from the offshore oil drilling it is a complicated and expensive task to raise it. Not to speak of the the fact it is a war grave. The fishing in the area is prohibited and a tug of war is going on between the local people and the authorities what to do with the mercury. May be the renewed investigation shall find a solution.
Tore

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #953 on: 03 Jan , 2013, 07:07 »
Tore, times ago i came across a report about U-864 in the news on some italian TV channel and was wondering what was the present state of the mercury monitoring like. Obviously, once given the new months ago, no italian TV cared about updating people on the subject anymore. At the time the readings of mercury concentration in the wather were reported as normal, thus not posing a real threat to sea species. How's the story developing?
« Last Edit: 03 Jan , 2013, 07:11 by SG »

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #954 on: 03 Jan , 2013, 07:21 »
Hi Tore,

I have got another off-topic question. The schnorchel mast on KNM Kaura was elevated by means of hydraulic power taken from the installation for periscopes hoists. I wonder, if there was any emergency procedures, in case of damaging hydraulic installation (the periscopes could be raised and lowered by hand). When almost all systems were backed-up, it would be strange to be not able operate schorchel without hydraulic power. Maybe there was some kind of hand pump to build the pressure in installation?

--
Thanks, regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #955 on: 03 Jan , 2013, 08:08 »
Tore, times ago i came across a report about U-864 in the news on some italian TV channel and was wondering what was the present state of the mercury monitoring like. Obviously, once given the new months ago, no italian TV cared about updating people on the subject anymore. At the time the readings of mercury concentration in the wather were reported as normal, thus not posing a real threat to sea species. How's the story developing?

SG
Since 2004 annual monitoring of mercury content both in the fishes,seaweeds and sediments is carried out. So far no dangerous levels has been found. The trouble is they have not been able to check or monitor the state of corrosion on the steelcontainers where the mercury is stored. Right now they are having a new attempt to establish the condition. In the meantime fishing and eating seafood from the area is prohibited. This is of course a highly unsatisfactory situation for the local people. The main concern today is the fuel leakage which probably shall happen before a possible mercury leakage.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #956 on: 03 Jan , 2013, 08:15 »
Maciek.
I have tried to remember a possible handoperation of the snortmast, but cannot remember any such thing. A possible hand rising of the mast would require considerable power. I don`t believe we had an alternative risingdevice.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #957 on: 03 Jan , 2013, 11:01 »
Off the topics.
Today the Royal Norwegian Navy is conducting a new investigation of the famous U-864, a IXC which was sunk by the Royal Navy's submarine HMS Venturer February 1945 on her maiden voyage 2-3 nautical miles off the Norwegian westcoast. All hands, 73 men lost . On the net are extensive details of a fascinating hunt for the U864. U-864 was on a secret mission " Cesare" transporting Messesmitt jet engineparts to Japan as well as 65 tonnes of mercury and the wreck was discovered by the Royal Norwegian Navy October 2003. She is laying in two parts at approximately 150 meters depth. Even today a German WW2 submarine is creating difficulties, as corrosion increase the risk of mercury leaking into the sea, up to this date 13 million US dollars has been spent to figure out what to do with the mercury leakage. Even with the sophisticated equipment we have from the offshore oil drilling it is a complicated and expensive task to raise it. Not to speak of the the fact it is a war grave. The fishing in the area is prohibited and a tug of war is going on between the local people and the authorities what to do with the mercury. May be the renewed investigation shall find a solution.
Tore

I have download and read several of the reports on U-864 and they are very detail. I can see where some of the 13 million dollars went.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #958 on: 03 Jan , 2013, 11:14 »
Simon.
Checking my morning post I see the 3rd photo of the luboil pumpsystem somehow did not turned up in the attached pictures :( , so down below it is. ;)
Tore

Thanks Tore for the picture :) :) I been looking for the LO consumption Tank.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #959 on: 03 Jan , 2013, 11:22 »
Simon.
Sometime the landscape doesn`t fit the map. My handpump theory is the hoseconnection for hand pumpsuction is placed near the main valvechest as can be seen on the photo below. The rest of the system is pretty obvious as can be seen on the other pictures, the blue colour had to be change into purple as it disappeared in the bad qualityphoto. Note the tiny details with the luboil consumption tank, it was topped up by the handpump and used for filling the handcarried oilcans (rockerarms lubrication) that`s why the two tiny cocks and the driptray underneath the tank.
Tore

A nice found on the hand pump suction house connection.

Yesterday while I was updating my drawing I could not found this house connection on the starboard side on the boat but found one on the port side. I was not sure if this was the hand pump suction house connection.

I will update my drawing tomorrow, as I am off to a friend wedding today.