Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576568 times)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #480 on: 22 Oct , 2012, 16:41 »
Simon
I guess you have pretty much an idea of the inboard pressure water fuelcompensating system forward portside of the engineroom, anyhow below is a picture of the first valves after entering the pressurehull.
Tore

Thanks for the correct information :) :)

Maciek.
I believe the spring you are wondering about is the spring for the reliefvalve for the enginedriven pistoncooling-waterpump of the starboard engine. You can see the   reliefvalve for the port engine under the horizontal freshwaterpump on port side.  Simon I don`t think this has anything to do with a purifier.
Tore

Yes, your total correct. I am trying to decide if I am going to add the purifier system to my drawing. We have some little information it and I would hate to add something to my drawing that was only a best guess :(

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #481 on: 22 Oct , 2012, 16:44 »
This morning I added the main drainage line and the Main drain suction valve (with the extension control for the neighbouring compartment).

Tore, there no pictures of this valve, but what do you think of my drawing of the valve? Looks OK?

(source: http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570Plate6.htm)

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #482 on: 22 Oct , 2012, 23:07 »
Tore
I believe the spring you are wondering about is the spring for the reliefvalve for the enginedriven pistoncooling-waterpump of the starboard engine. You can see the   reliefvalve for the port engine under the horizontal freshwaterpump on port side.  Simon I don`t think this has anything to do with a purifier.

Thank you for clarification! Now it makes sense to me.

--
Thanks, regards
Maciek

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #483 on: 22 Oct , 2012, 23:26 »
Hi Simon
Tore, there no pictures of this valve, but what do you think of my drawing of the valve? Looks OK?

Here you got similar valve, which is located just behind the control room bulkhead (in Petty Officers Room):

Tore, does it the same type as in Diesel engine room?

The other side of bulkhead with shaft passing through looks following:

Maybe it somehow helps.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #484 on: 22 Oct , 2012, 23:59 »
Thanks Maciek! I will update my drawing tomorrow :)

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #485 on: 23 Oct , 2012, 00:34 »
Simon.
If you wonder how it looks like on the other side, engineers PO`s mess, you may see a very young EO checking it.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:49 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #486 on: 23 Oct , 2012, 00:41 »
Simon
I guess you have pretty much an idea of the inboard pressure water fuelcompensating system forward portside of the engineroom, anyhow below is a picture of the first valves after entering the pressurehull.
Tore

Thanks for the correct information :) :)

Maciek.
Tore

Yes, your total correct. I am trying to decide if I am going to add the purifier system to my drawing. We have some little information it and I would hate to add something to my drawing that was only a best guess :(

Simon
 A very wise idea! The whole thing is a real puzzle to me, the more so because I cannot remember a thing about the lube oil separator/ purifier.
Tore
« Last Edit: 23 Oct , 2012, 04:15 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #487 on: 23 Oct , 2012, 01:13 »
Simon.
Remote operated bilgevalve.
I got sligthly confused by the yellow black zebrastripes and the new aluminium floorplating now fitted on the Laboe U 995. The picture is indeed from the same side as my picture, but of course the bilgepipe goes to the aft batterycompartment.
Tore
« Last Edit: 23 Oct , 2012, 05:40 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #488 on: 23 Oct , 2012, 01:14 »
Simon.
If you wonder how it looks like on the other side, engineers PO`s mess, you may see a very young EO checking it.
Tore

Thanks for the picture.

Here a picture of the handle in the moter room as the valve are under the decking.

(source: U-995 DVD http://www.uboataces.com/u995.shtml)
« Last Edit: 23 Oct , 2012, 10:43 by NZSnowman »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #489 on: 23 Oct , 2012, 06:29 »
This morning I added the main drainage line and the Main drain suction valve (with the extension control for the neighbouring compartment).

(source: http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570Plate6.htm)

Simon.
I just had a look at your drawing of the bilgevalve in the engineroom. It seems to me that the valve is placed on port side fairly close to the dirtyoil handpump and could be remote operated from the E-room, shouldn`t this  be the opposite, eg. the bilgevalve placed in the E-room with the possibility to operate same from the engineroom? I should think the engineroom bilgevalve migth be placed more to the stb side close to the E-room bulkhead and able to be controlled from the E-room side. Just an idea.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #490 on: 23 Oct , 2012, 07:42 »
Simon.
To follow up my remarks I`m posting the systemsketch in the relevant area.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:50 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #491 on: 24 Oct , 2012, 01:36 »
It been very hard to work out how the remote operated bilge valve works.

You can see the double handle in the picture in Reply #488. By lifting the handle, the control rod (WHITE) rises and opens the valve. The control rod (WHITE) is linked to a wheel (RED) and rotates a cross over rod (Yellow) to the other wheel (Red) which move the other handle.

Tore/Maciek, what do you think of this system?   

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #492 on: 24 Oct , 2012, 08:41 »
Simon
Clever design :) . I`m not sure I fully understand your twin operated valves though. On the picture below I have indicated with red arrows the similarities between the valve in the E-rom and the POs mess, I believe they are possibly identical. With the yellow arrow I suggest this might possibly be the separate E- roomhandle for an identical valve in the engineroom, thus the you see the top of the valvecasings on both pictures which mean no extensionrods.
Tore
« Last Edit: 24 Oct , 2012, 08:50 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #493 on: 24 Oct , 2012, 11:10 »
Hi Tore

Yes, I believe this valve is complex without better photo

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #494 on: 24 Oct , 2012, 12:28 »
Hi Tore

I started adding the engine mount for the starboardengine, does it look Ok to you?