Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576384 times)

TopherVIIC

Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #405 on: 05 Jun , 2012, 11:58 »
Tore,
I notice there are similar resilient mountings
in the forward torpedo room.
My observation about vertical mounted machines is based only on mechanics, physics, and a Marine's training on how to blow up machines... I yield the more functional and entirely useful aspect if running said machines to trained engineers such as your self! :-)

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #406 on: 05 Jun , 2012, 12:42 »
Christopher don`t stretch your believes in a very old mans frail memories on details from experiences more than 60 years back.
Howewer back to my theory on a possible electrical horizontal freshwaterpump for lazy younger norwegians. Down below I have indicated how the system could work and if anybody have another theory I would welcome same, this is great fun better than crossword puzzles!
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:42 by tore »

TopherVIIC

« Reply #407 on: 05 Jun , 2012, 12:58 »
This is the kind of cross-word puzzle I like as well! As an artist, I search for clues in the same way we do on this forum... We put together ideas, we seek right understanding and after due thought, reject wrong thinking. In the end, art comes out!

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #408 on: 05 Jun , 2012, 13:06 »
Rigth Christopher. How boring it would be if we had an answerbook to every question.
Tore

TopherVIIC

« Reply #409 on: 05 Jun , 2012, 13:38 »
"... Lazy young Norwegians!"... If you are typical of Lazy Norwegians, it is a Great Country Sir!

TopherVIIC

« Reply #410 on: 05 Jun , 2012, 13:46 »
I would sail under a man such as yourself any day! Marines led by intelligent men such as yourself have a safe berth...

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #411 on: 05 Jun , 2012, 14:04 »
In my time we had to handpump the freshwater we consumed, even the cook had to pump all the freshwater when making the food for 46 men, the generation after me seems to have installed an electric pump in order to get rid of the exercise. Of course that would increase the freshwater consumption I believe but they migth have been a bit cleaner than we were.
Tore

TopherVIIC

« Reply #412 on: 05 Jun , 2012, 14:19 »
Tore-
I understand about various degrees of clean... As a U.S. Marine in the First Gulf War we lived in holes dug in the sand and had only our canteen bottles of water to wash and drink from for three weeks at a time. Modern times bring better measures. Troops stationed in such places now have better equipment.  They have, perhaps, improvised, and heaven forbid... May have actually been issued better gear than they started with!

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #413 on: 05 Jun , 2012, 23:40 »
I looked at my freshwater hydrophore system this morning and wasn`t very impressed of the design. No suction to the other fw tanks, no pressuretank, no pressureswitch,in short,poor engineering. I`m posting my new idea. Blue suctionline to the common suctionline to all the fw tanks, red deliveryline via relief/pressureswitch ( I`m not 100% sure about that) connecting via the handpump supplyline to the headertank (daily consumptiontank) hopefully this would work better.
But in general I believe Simon shouldn`t bader about this system just delete it.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:43 by tore »

TopherVIIC

« Reply #414 on: 06 Jul , 2012, 13:57 »

Tore - I have a question for you and this should be one you are intimately familiar with, in that you were the designated "diver" of the KNM Kaura...
on U-570 plate 16 item (I) shows:
TAUCHERANSCHLUSZ BACKBORD bzw STEUERBORD
Diver's connection, port or starboard

Where was this, and what type of connection was it may I ask?
Christopher

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #415 on: 06 Jul , 2012, 15:05 »
Hi Christopher
Tore - I have a question for you and this should be one you are intimately familiar with, in that you were the designated "diver" of the KNM Kaura...

on U-570 plate 16 item (I) shows:
TAUCHERANSCHLUSZ BACKBORD bzw STEUERBORD
Diver's connection, port or starboard

Where was this, and what type of connection was it may I ask?

I will try to answer - the german name and its translation is misleading - this is in fact "compressed air and emergency blowing manifold" (See paragraph: "Compressed air and emergency blowing manifold", page 86, http://uboatarchive.net/Manual.htm).

The location - in the conning tower casing:

1 - emergency air supply connection (together with the  Taucheranschlutz)

2 - Notausblaseverter
3 - blowing valve forward
4 - blowing valve aft

U-995 was not equipped with these installation (as well as other late war U-Boats).

--
Regards
Maciek

TopherVIIC

« Reply #416 on: 06 Jul , 2012, 15:40 »
Oh Thanks Maciek!
I was thinking for some reason it meant the diver for the ship - not an emergency diver TO the ship! Familiar with those connections. Thanks Again!
I am working on a compilation chart to show how the various charts overlap systems. It is far from finished, but I hope it will be a useful compilation for the fine people on this group!
https://www.kabutographics.com/namen_a.html
Christopher

As a post addition, I have broken up the list into several smaller tables, linked accordingly. The tables were getting too unwieldy and large. These smaller separate lists work a bit better.
Christopher
« Last Edit: 09 Jul , 2012, 15:12 by TopherVIIC »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #417 on: 06 Jul , 2012, 23:13 »
Christopher, Maciek has already answered your question in an exellent way, I was only on the net for a few minutes yesterday before your question. The older designs of submarines a had several "solutions" to save a submarine in distress, this was one of the better. The worst solution was on some of our prewar subs, a heavy leadkeel which could be released in emergency, the trouble was that during depthcharging it had a tendency to get "off the hooks" and the sub popped up like a cork.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #418 on: 07 Jul , 2012, 00:11 »
Christopher
I just visited your Kabutographics webside, very interesting and in fact touching one of my hobbies. Apart from modelbuilding I like to paint and am using my computer to sketch my oilpaintings. I am just busy making a painting of KNM Kaura based upon a picture of my model which I put into a choppy sea. I am posting the sketch. The oilpainting is almost finished and if of any interest I`ll mail same later.
Tore
« Last Edit: 07 Jul , 2012, 23:02 by tore »

TopherVIIC

« Reply #419 on: 07 Jul , 2012, 11:49 »
Christopher
I just visited your Kabutographics webside, very interesting and in fact touching one of my hobbies. Apart from modelbuilding I like to paint and are using my computer to sketch my oilpaintings. I am just busy making a painting of KNM Kaura based upon a picture of my model which I put into a choppy sea. I am posting the sketch. The oilpainting is almost finished and if of any interest I`ll mail same later.
Tore

Tore! Outstanding painting! My already high respect for you just tripled!

I have a number of military style paintings and pieces of artwork in my gallery, but have yet to do a submarine piece. I do intend to though!
Christopher
« Last Edit: 07 Jul , 2012, 11:59 by TopherVIIC »