Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576743 times)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #375 on: 02 Jun , 2012, 15:00 »
From the picture below I believe that valve E this right above valve F and the hand pump is port of the these two valves. I am not 100% sure where valve C is  :(

Tore, the small air lines which go to the 3-way valve (with the red handle) do you know which system this is? Is it the Oxygen system, Engine starting air system or the low pressure system?

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #376 on: 02 Jun , 2012, 15:04 »
I just realise I have one too many valves :o I will delete this now.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #377 on: 02 Jun , 2012, 15:19 »
Updated drawing - I was just toll off by the U-1308 dock forman for installing incorrect piping into U-1308  ;)

Still looking for a home for valve C :(

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #378 on: 02 Jun , 2012, 15:44 »
I cannnot remember what system the upper cock belongs to, may be if we can see something further up we should be able to figure out. The inlet pipe to the pump is in the bottom. May be you get the idea from the picture below.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #379 on: 02 Jun , 2012, 15:53 »
OK
I`m hitting the sack if it`s still unclear I`ll make a drawing tomorrow morning.
Tore
« Last Edit: 02 Jun , 2012, 15:58 by tore »

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #380 on: 02 Jun , 2012, 18:52 »
I think you guys could build a 1:1 boat with the plans and images and knowledge you have! If only you had 3-5 million dollars in 1940s currency and a shipyard!

There's an Australian Billionaire who has serious plans to build a Titanic II cruise liner (I'm assuming the water-tight dors would go all the way to the deck above, this time!), maybe you could convince him or his mates to finance a VIIC-II.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #381 on: 02 Jun , 2012, 22:39 »
How about buying back the U 995 for 1,- D mark and bring it back to the true original shape.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #382 on: 02 Jun , 2012, 23:11 »
 Dirty luboil handpump
Here is a rough pencilsketch of the arrangement. C is omitted because it doesn`t belongs to the system. As you see cock A is fitted directly under the pump inlet which is 180 degrees to the outlet. It`s an ordinary vane pump having inlet and outlet opposite each other.
Tore
« Last Edit: 02 Jun , 2012, 23:33 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #383 on: 02 Jun , 2012, 23:48 »
Her is how the hand vane- wingpump looked like when new, that explains probably more than words.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #384 on: 03 Jun , 2012, 00:20 »
Final fiddling with your pump picture.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #385 on: 03 Jun , 2012, 03:25 »
And trying to adapt your fine drawing to the above system. Sorry for the bad quality of my scribling.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:39 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #386 on: 03 Jun , 2012, 06:29 »
The mysterious cock C.
 I have been pondering upon  this system and my best guess is the seacoolingwater drain and crossover for the main hullvalve for exhaust. You`ll see the system below as well as C cock pipes marked. I believe I can see the drainpipe ending in a funnel down in the bilgearea. We need to check the upper valves not seen on this photo to be sure. I don`t remember the system at all, so your guess is as good as mine and migth be better.
Tore
« Last Edit: 03 Jun , 2012, 06:31 by tore »

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #387 on: 03 Jun , 2012, 08:56 »
Hi Tore
An airvessel ( sometimes called windvessel) is only a " bulb" rigth after a pistonpump. It contains an air cushion which act like a buffer and equalizes the pressure fluctuations coming from a reciprocating machinery like a pistonpump. Nothing much, just a casted "blimp" migth be an airconnection on the top.
I have found the drawing of the cooling water pump for the G.W. diesel engine.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #388 on: 03 Jun , 2012, 08:59 »
Hi Tore
I think I remember you mentioned earlier that you are planning to visit the Laboe U 995 this summer or autumn. I guess you are making a list of what details you shall be studying and I presume you take a camera along. I have never visited her in her present state allthough passing the Denkmal many times by ship. Before you go, may be you`d be interested in the story how she actually ended on concrete supports at Laboe. KNM Kaura  ex U-995 was in active service in the Royal Norwegian Navy from December 1952 till December 1965. The latter part of her lifetime she was a "schoolboat". The first years, when I was on board she was a" frontline boat" and the CO, No 1 and me became very good friends who met after our service onboard occasionally to memorize old days. The CO has now passed away, but he mention a few interesting things on our social meetings.

After his time onboard, he became in the 1960 years  in charge of a newbuilding programme for the Norwegian navys new subs in Germany. During these years he came in contact with a number of german ex Ubootofficers, himshelf beeing a navyofficer with war experience on the allied side, had a few problems in the beginning but in the end he became friends with quite a few german officiers. I think he was even in a party with admiral D

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #389 on: 03 Jun , 2012, 09:12 »
Hi Simon

Luboil checkvalves.
The footvalves at the luboilsuction is a checkvalve, the symbol is round, a 3way cock is square. Se drawing below.

The valve icon has three lines on it, so does this mean OFF/HALF/FULL?

This translation of the OPZ Ventil is not quite correct. In the Technisches Hilfsbuch f