Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576509 times)

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #330 on: 27 May , 2012, 15:18 »
Hi Tore
I believe there is a mistake in the system drawingindicating no suctionconnection to the stb enginepump from the crossover.

You are right - on the original, german drawing it is drawn correct:

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #331 on: 27 May , 2012, 15:22 »
Hi Tore
I`m not sure if I misunderstood you. I think the the boardvalve (outer) opens  inward. In the event that seaweed obstruct the intake, the second valve (sluicevalve) is shut and LP air valve is opened allowing the air to the space between the sea and sluicevalve thereby blowing  the weed out. I don`t think there is any airconnection to the sluicevalve.

I guess, your explaination is also correct for my question asked some time ago:
I have got another question regarding to the low pressure air installation - I have noticed, that hull valve in the E-motor/Aft torpedo room (E-motor cooling water intake and torpedo compensating tanks flooding) has also connection to thelow pressure air installation. I wonder what is for - I guess it was used to "crack" the valve - to help opening valve at greater depth or with the jammed valve. Is that right?
http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?topic=121.msg10617#msg10617

It's great to get confirmation.

--
Thanks, regards
Maciek

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #332 on: 27 May , 2012, 15:25 »
Tore, back to the question about location of the cooling water pump in E-motor room:
I believe it`s fitted on port side rigth where the emergencysteering wheel is stowed. It`s a relatively small centrifugal circulation pump.

I found pictures which fit with your answer:

(source: u-historia.com)

--
Thanks, regards
Maciek

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #333 on: 27 May , 2012, 16:03 »
Hi Simon
Maciek, do you know this section of the Low Pressure system?
Not really. I also think, that there is no connection with the sluicevalve. I think that there is visible "main lp line", going through the diesel engine room, there is a branch to the hull valve blowing connections, then the valve (which does not fit), and above it the branches to the stb and port hull valve. There is also one line, which also does not fit. I will try to figure it out when I will get a while.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #334 on: 27 May , 2012, 22:35 »
Luboilreturnpipes.
I have been looking a bit more on the subject, see picture below. I think the strange bends on you drawings migth come from the relatively large returnpipe from the Roots blower (blue).The supplyline to the servomotor (green) is coming from underneath the deckplating and is fairly straigth. The servomotor returnpipe (yellow) is making a bend under the Roots blower casing for some reason unknown to me, but anyhow it has to connect to the larger pipe from the blower.
Tore

Great picture! It conform a few things for me  :)

I had a good idea that the servomotor returnpipe (yellow) line bend under the Roots blower casing, but this picture conform it. It bend back so it can join the Roots blower (blue) line. I have a clear picture that show this. I have already update my drawing to show this.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #335 on: 27 May , 2012, 22:37 »
Airvessel
As it seems to be an unknown item, I guess a picture would help when you are drawing same. It is not the airvessel on the engine attached coolingwaterpump but the airvessel on the piston trimpump.

Thanks for the picture. Very useful. Now I have a idea that to draw and look for  :) :)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #336 on: 27 May , 2012, 22:42 »
Hi Tore
I believe there is a mistake in the system drawingindicating no suctionconnection to the stb enginepump from the crossover.

You are right - on the original, german drawing it is drawn correct:

--
Regards
Maciek

I am glad that both of you guys found this mistake :) Like I said before I spends a few hours trying to workout why the German Engineers had made no connection to the stb engine pump.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #337 on: 27 May , 2012, 22:44 »
Hi Simon
Maciek, do you know this section of the Low Pressure system?
Not really. I also think, that there is no connection with the sluicevalve. I think that there is visible "main lp line", going through the diesel engine room, there is a branch to the hull valve blowing connections, then the valve (which does not fit), and above it the branches to the stb and port hull valve. There is also one line, which also does not fit. I will try to figure it out when I will get a while.

--
Regards
Maciek

Thanks  :) :)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #338 on: 27 May , 2012, 22:53 »
Hi Tore

I been away today and I am away tomorrow but I should have the new drawing ready in a few days.

I am really happy with the updated drawings as I have workout a few more pipes and corrected a few valves to there correct style :) I have found doing both (lateral and dorsal) views at the same time has help heaps to increase the accurate of the drawing.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #339 on: 27 May , 2012, 23:16 »
Maciek
I had forgotten your question about the seaweedblowing, good it popped up later. As a curiousium I can mention the arrangement is useful even today, not so much for seaweeds, but all the plastic floating around. A plastic sheet can very effectively block the seawater intake.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #340 on: 27 May , 2012, 23:42 »
Seaweed blowing
I realize this morning that my second reply yesterday on the subject for some reason was not posted. I am posting a picture where I have tried to figure out how it works. The biggest pipe, marked blue is the LP main supplypipe going all the way through the boat. The green line is the weedblowing branch off to a distribution valve. The yellow line is the supplyline which goes via the local seaweed blowingvalve and then to the board seavalve. This is an assumtion I don`t remember for sure.
Tore
« Last Edit: 28 May , 2012, 00:04 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #341 on: 27 May , 2012, 23:53 »
Hi Tore

I been away today and I am away tomorrow but I should have the new drawing ready in a few days.

I am really happy with the updated drawings as I have workout a few more pipes and corrected a few valves to there correct style :) I have found doing both (lateral and dorsal) views at the same time has help heaps to increase the accurate of the drawing.

I agree with you and are looking forward to seeing the drawing. I suppose you intend to brush up all the systems in the engineroom, that`s a vast task but very interesting. It`s just like beeing onboard again, we`ll get your U 1308 running properly in spite of wrong drawings.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #342 on: 28 May , 2012, 00:17 »
Hi Tore

I agree with you and are looking forward to seeing the drawing. I suppose you intend to brush up all the systems in the engineroom, that`s a vast task but very interesting. It`s just like beeing onboard again, we`ll get your U 1308 running properly in spite of wrong drawings.
Tore

I decide to put my other projects on hold for a while and review my engine room drawings for the few weeks before I start full time work in the snow, plus how often can you ask someone who been in a Type VIIC

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #343 on: 28 May , 2012, 00:34 »
Simon
The idea of somebody on the same planet is just getting ready to work with the falling snow while for us mother nature is removing it quickly and put in flowers instead sounds crazy. I would rather be in a VIIC engineroom than the snow. The funny thing is I thougth I had forgotten everything, but it`s gradually coming back as I study the details.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #344 on: 28 May , 2012, 00:42 »
Tore, back to the question about location of the cooling water pump in E-motor room:
I believe it`s fitted on port side rigth where the emergencysteering wheel is stowed. It`s a relatively small centrifugal circulation pump.

I found pictures which fit with your answer:

(source: u-historia.com)

--
Thanks, regards
Maciek
Very good! Marko you can even see the top of the thrustbearing
Tore