Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576620 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #270 on: 22 Apr , 2012, 03:00 »
Simon
Looking at your last post, I wasn`t sure you got my idea about the governor servomotor oilpipes OK so I post a couple of pictures marking off the pipes. Both pipes, not three, are bundled together as shown and goes aft along the roots blowercasing (fixed to that) to about middle of the housing (sorry no picture) then goes down and disappear under the floor where the return (blue) joins the main engine returnoilpipe. The luboilpressurepipe I believe goes under the floor up front to the branch off  just after the luboilcooler marked red on the systemsketch. The returnpipes are marked blue.
Tore
« Last Edit: 12 Mar , 2014, 01:35 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #271 on: 01 May , 2012, 08:44 »
Governor servomotor supply and return oilpipes.
Simon finally I got hold of a photo showing the two pipes previously discussed. As you see on the picture below they are bundled together and fixed to the Roots blower before going down under the floor as mentioned before.
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #272 on: 10 May , 2012, 05:17 »
Tore

Being in the aft torpedo room topic - do you remember, what is this device?

It is connected by means of the wheel gear with the handle:

General view:

--
Thanks, regards
Maciek
« Last Edit: 10 May , 2012, 11:41 by SnakeDoc »

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #273 on: 10 May , 2012, 05:53 »
Tore,
on one of your drawing you have marked the location of th air coolers for E-motors:

Could you mark theirs location on the horizontal cross-section? I wonder, where are they fitted.
The same request about the electrically driven cooling water pump, which enabled water circulation during submerged cruise.

--
Thanks, regards
Maciek
« Last Edit: 10 May , 2012, 11:42 by SnakeDoc »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #274 on: 10 May , 2012, 10:07 »
Maciek
For some reason your pictures came out as a red x on my computer. So I have to comment based on your text. It could be the exhaust outlet from the Junker compressor as far as I remember it was operated by a valve wheel with a spindle for grinding the carbon deposits by hand,not airmotor as for the mainengines.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #275 on: 10 May , 2012, 10:34 »
E-motorcoolers
I believe the coolers No1 & 2 stb as well as no 1 & 2 port were placed under the stored torpedo towards the centerline, but I`m not 110% sure.
On the crossection drw of U570 in the E compartment are two circles which I believe could be the stb and port coolers.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #276 on: 10 May , 2012, 10:39 »
Sorry I`m currently on my little farm in very remote area where my internet connection sometime is very bad. Today is one of those days so I have some problem in sending and recieving pictures right now.
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #277 on: 10 May , 2012, 11:44 »
Tore

Thank you very much for your answer.

For some reason your pictures came out as a red x on my computer. So I have to comment based on your text.

I moved the pictures into another server, maybe now they will be visible.

--
Thanks, regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #278 on: 10 May , 2012, 23:13 »
Thanks Maciek i got the pictures. I believe it`s what i said.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #279 on: 10 May , 2012, 23:50 »
Maciek
I forgot your coolingwater pump question. I believe it`s fitted on port side rigth where the emergencysteering wheel is stowed. It`s a relatively small centrifugal circulation pump.
Tore
« Last Edit: 10 May , 2012, 23:53 by tore »

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #280 on: 11 May , 2012, 08:14 »
Hi Tore
It could be the exhaust outlet from the Junker compressor as far as I remember it was operated by a valve wheel with a spindle for grinding the carbon deposits by hand,not airmotor as for the mainengines.

I have found following description in the British Report on U-570 - HMS Graph (http://uboatarchive.net/U-570BritishReport.htm):
  5.  In the case of the Junker's air compressor exhaust valve, the valve floats on the end of the main spindle.  It is rotated by an extension from the valve passing down the centre of the main spindle and is turned by hand.

So I guess, the hand wheel is the part of the valve and the red bar handle is the part of the grinding gear, right?

--
Thanks, regards

Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #281 on: 11 May , 2012, 09:57 »
Yes Maciek
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #282 on: 13 May , 2012, 06:15 »
I have with pleasure noticed there are still modellers who start building various versions of the VIICs and seeing the results I`m impressed with the skill and patience they put into the work. However it strikes me that a lot of effort is put into the canning and wheathering and some of the models look to me a bit overdone. The average lifetime for a VIIc during the war was relatively short and the pressurehull didn`t have much visible canning nor corrosion as on present days  U- 995 more than 60 years old. There could be a little canning on the casing, but to my opinion not always very visible. As an example I`m posting  pictures of different stages in the life of  U-995. 1. At the end of the war 1945 being 2 years old, 1953 KNM Kaura ex U-995 after 8 months  in service, 1954  showing KNM Kaura ex U-995 in drydock  being 11 years old and just after 12 months autum- and winterservice in the hostile waters above the artic circle, and 1972 U-995 just in place at the war memorial at Laboe, Kiel.  As you may be able to see it is very little canning and moderate weathering (1954 drydock) in spite of the though service she had. The welding seams and the casing rivets are also bearly visible. A few VIICs could be pretty weatherbeaten no doubt, but in general they did`t look like Das Boot in the movie. So if you want to give an authetic view of a VIIC show a bit moderation in emphasising on the weathering, canning, weldingseams and rivets even if it`s great fun doing it.
Tore
« Last Edit: 13 May , 2012, 06:24 by tore »

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #283 on: 19 May , 2012, 18:06 »
Hi Tore,

Good advice I think! And the rest of what follows of mine means little because you are a vet and were there! I'm just an armchair historian! But it might have some small use...

That 3rd shot shows the perfect amount of canning in my opinion...My experience is that any sheet metal on ribs will have some dish/can effect because of imperfect materials, expansion/contraction, etc. I've seen the QEII and almost any ship - well, whatever the name or effect, overall you can easily tell sheets of metal are affixed to ribs, because you can see subtle differences where the ribs are and are not.  think it's important to communicate that, otherwise a model can look like a solid piece of plastic.

Weathering - I forget if it was Eugene Fluckey or Richard O'Kane, but one of them was walking back to their USN Gato at Midway, and almost didn't recognize her: because they obviously never got an overall view while at sea, but at the pier the hull, originally all black and clean, was faded to many grays and charcoals, and had chipping and salt spray weathering all over, looking rather old and tired after only 6-8 weeks at sea. In Iron Coffins the same thing happened to Werner, although with his patrol history not quite matching records, maybe he was being dramatic!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #284 on: 20 May , 2012, 00:22 »
Wink
 If you have driven a car for 60 years doesn`t mean you know all about driving and I for sure make mistakes and have failing memories (I`m going on 84). You are rigth about the canning can be caused by expansion /contraction sometimes due to welding. Many new ships have very visible canning on their deliveryday.( on the U 995 picture below you see the result of a brand new welding which never have been at sea). On naval vessels particulary destroyers and frigates this is sometimes very visible. On submarines, anyhow german and british built, you are sometimes able to see canning on the ligth casing, but very seldom on the pressurehull. The VIICs had a very ligth and susceptible casingconstruction and we had dammages to the casing. I particulary remember we crossed the North Sea in the month of November for noisetrials in Scotland and we had a terrible weather, 1/3 of the casing was smashed by the sea and we came in almost like a tube. On the Laboe U 995 you see some dents and canning,  particulary on the new plating which they have welded and not rivited. Some other indentions are due to old minor collision dammages. I am posting a few picture below to explain what I mean.
Tore
« Last Edit: 20 May , 2012, 00:29 by tore »