Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576785 times)

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
According to the upperdeck stowage, I'm attaching the part of the
"Tauchvorschrift f

Offline tore

• Tore
Remote operated vents.
They were german originally to my knowledge.
Tore
« Last Edit: 10 Feb , 2012, 05:40 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
According to the upperdeck stowage, I'm attaching the part of the
"Tauchvorschrift f

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
Hi Tore

You have some very interesting documents. The german instructions you are showing is almost the same as we used. Do you happen to have any german descriptions or schematic drawings of the snort system not having the pipeconnections up at the tower  (as you previosly showed), but at hollow snortpivotshaft?

No, I don't have anything describing this variant of schnorchel installation. The best what I have seen is the document developed by Simon.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Maciek, and Tore

My article about the schnorchel should be going up this weekend on the AMP site, it have my latest drawing on the schnorchel  :) Also should have good size update for my "Drawing Drawing' within the next week or so. Just need to check a few things first.

Offline tore

• Tore
Maciek, and Tore

My article about the schnorchel should be going up this weekend on the AMP site, it have my latest drawing on the schnorchel  :) Also should have good size update for my "Drawing Drawing' within the next week or so. Just need to check a few things first.
Excellent! Looking forward to seeing it. I just finished the famous snort exhaustpipebend on top of the casingdeck and shall install it tomorrow as soon as the paint is dry.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Tore, here could be a good test for you memory. Below are pictures of the bulkhead between the CR & mass. On the right of the picture, we can see a pipe with a colour code (purple with red band). One of my document I have say it

Offline tore

• Tore
Tore, here could be a good test for you memory. Below are pictures of the bulkhead between the CR & mass. On the right of the picture, we can see a pipe with a colour code (purple with red band). One of my document I have say it’s a Fuel oil transfer lines. Do you know if this is correct?

Hi
I can`t remember this particular pipebend neither the colourcode. To my opinion this could very well be the fueltransferpipe from the no 1 stb regulating/fuelstoragetank ( in the saddle) which goes into the CR where it connects via valves to other saddlefuelstorage tanks and then to the engineroom via common pipe.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Tore, from what you saw on KNM Kaura and your understanding of German U-boat design what do you think the German

Offline tore

• Tore
NZSnowman
I presume you are referring to the relevant fuel transferpipe. Most of the VIIC saddle tanks were used as storage for fuel and not as common ballasttanks.Even the saddleregulatingtanks could be used for fuelstorage to increase the operating range. If this pipe is identified correctly as fueltransferpipe, my suggestion is the pipe leads from the no 1 stb. regulatingtank in the saddle outside the PO mess to the common fuelsupplypipe in the CR. and is normally shut and only used in those cases you carry fuel in the regulatingtank no. 1stb. I hope I understood your question correct, otherwise please revert.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #100 on: 12 Feb , 2012, 00:52 »
Tore, from what you saw on KNM Kaura and your understanding of German U-boat design what do you think the German
« Last Edit: 12 Feb , 2012, 05:30 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #101 on: 12 Feb , 2012, 02:36 »
NZSnowman
I rememeber some times ago you launched the idea that all VIIC-VIIC/41s equipped with snortmast having airinlet and exhaust outlet at the hingepivot had a small part of the exhaustpipe protruding through the casingdeck on stb side forward part of the conningtower. I was a little reluctant to that and of the opinion U 995 didn`t have it. My memory failed, I have been scruntinizing all my pictures and finally today I found the evidence that Kaura (U 995) and all our VIICs did have same, see the picture of Kaura below taken in May 1953. I think you can even see the pipebend contains the snortexhaustpipe shut of valve. You are rigth I believe all the VIIC/VIIC-41s having this type of snortmast had pipebend through the casingdeck. Up to this date I have not seen any modelbuilder having got this detail, so back to the workshop, I`ll be the first.
Tore
As a consequence of  NZSnowmans researchs and the above I went back to the drawingboard and installed the pipe on my Kaura ( ex U 995) model as can be seen on the picture below.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #102 on: 12 Feb , 2012, 12:37 »
Tore, can you remember if the high pressure Oxygen bottle behind the rear engine housing and clutch were painted or unpainted? And if painted that colour they were?

Were some suggestion that the German

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #103 on: 12 Feb , 2012, 13:26 »
I believe they were painted dark grey and they could very well have a dark blue top I am not 100% sure.
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #104 on: 12 Feb , 2012, 16:03 »
Hi Tore, Simon

Tore, here could be a good test for you memory. Below are pictures of the bulkhead between the CR & mass. On the right of the picture, we can see a pipe with a colour code (purple with red band). One of my document I have say it