Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 593986 times)

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #2745 on: 08 Jun , 2015, 02:24 »
Hi Gentlemen,

while looking for the photo of the uncovered periscope well, among the other photos from HMS Graph I have found some worth of interests.
13.jpg - the vent of the (I'm not sure) MBT3 or saddle tanks starboard. In the VOZM book, it is described as MBT 3 vent.

16.jpg - the vent valve lever of the MBT 3 port

10.jpg, 11.jpg - there are visible two handles for operating the flood valves (kingstons) of the MBT 3. As we know, there were 3 pairs of the flood valves. These handles are inserted into the slots for the forward two pairs (see the picture "flood valves.jpg").

21.jpg - this photo presents the charging the U-Boat HP air flaks (or less likely the oxygen flask). This photo is quite similar to the photo published in the VOMZ book, but is taken under quite different angle, so more interior of the magnetic compass casing is visible. What is interesting here, are the visible handles of the emergency blowing manifold. You can clearly see the handles with thickening for easier recognition by divers (see the picture "emergency blowing manifold.jpg").

Don, I think you have to revise picture on the page 218 in your Skizzenbuch and move the ovals, which marks the location of the emergency blowing manifold to the magnetic compass casing.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2746 on: 08 Jun , 2015, 06:21 »
Maciek.
Interesting photos, 11 shows the timeconsuming operation of the MBT 3 double kingstons and 13, I agree, must be the ventvalve of MBT 3 stb. 16 shows a different view as well as giving a better understanding than the overpainted assembly from the museum U 995. Thanks a lot.
Tore
« Last Edit: 08 Jun , 2015, 08:23 by tore »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2747 on: 08 Jun , 2015, 17:45 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

Just to verify my insanity... Would the posted drawing ID Tags be correct?

Kind regards,
Don_
A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2748 on: 08 Jun , 2015, 19:06 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

Would you please elaborate about operating the Kingstons for MBT 3?  There looks to be 2 locations in the forward control room floor (1 on each side of the keel) to operate the dual Kingston valves, and there looks to be a smaller opening for a grease gun to lubricate the valves drive structure.

I believe there would be 2 locations in the aft control room floor (1 on each side of the keel) to operate the single Kingston valves, and I would assume the same lubrication installation.

1. Once these valves for MBT 3 were set open for a war patrol, was there ever a need, or reason, to make adjustments?

2. How do you know the Kingston Valve were fully opened, was there a hard mechanical stopping point?

Regards,
Don_ 
« Last Edit: 08 Jun , 2015, 21:09 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2749 on: 08 Jun , 2015, 23:48 »
Don.
I guess your question on tagging would be answered by the image below. As far as I know the U-570 still had the rescue/markerbuoy in the casing.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2750 on: 09 Jun , 2015, 00:54 »
Don.
Your assumption on the aft kingstons is correct. In the center of MBT 3 it is a bulkhead separating port and starboard MBT 3. On this bulkhead the bearings for the kingston rotating operation rods were mounted. The driverods ended in a threaded part, on this part a yoke having a central nut (inside threads) moved axially as you turned the rod, thus moved the Kingstons as shown on the image. In the outer positions the yoke nut have a stop at the end of the travel against the end bearings.
I cannot recall we ever had to adjust the Kingstons and they are either fully shut or fully open. As they open outwards, the seapressure keep the Kingston firmly shut when in shut position. 
Tore
« Last Edit: 09 Jun , 2015, 14:21 by tore »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2751 on: 09 Jun , 2015, 12:09 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

Thanks for the info...  Do you happen to have a photo of the GW Diesel engine full control panel?  I would like to see the Ahead/Astern Handle...

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2752 on: 09 Jun , 2015, 14:20 »
Don.
The photos I have are all of very poor quality. It is really not much visual changes between the direct reversible and the non reversible engines. The reversing handle was removed but the reversing plate was kept at the maneuvering stand. The most significant change was the removal of the large vertical reversing cylinder and the smaller vertical slide valve. On my image below is the removed items indicated.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2753 on: 09 Jun , 2015, 22:41 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

I'm still having issues with the Reversing Handle....  See my attached photo.  In the Reversing Handle is on the Left side (blue arrow), then it looks like the handles interfere with each other???  However, if it were on the right side (red arrow), then it looks like the handles will work???

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 09 Jun , 2015, 22:52 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2754 on: 09 Jun , 2015, 23:32 »
Don.
I believe you are mixing the fuelhandle with a reversinghandle. As your image shows the ME maneuvering stand of U-995 being non reversible engine the reversing lever is removed only the residue plate and some visible rods are left. On your photo the fuelhandle is to the far left, the starting lever is in centre and the removed reversinghandle is should be to the right.
Se my image below.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2755 on: 10 Jun , 2015, 00:20 »
Don.
As I have no original photo of the reversinghandle I made one on the U-995 maneuverstand don't forget it is a fake! :D
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2756 on: 10 Jun , 2015, 01:10 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

The last few drawings clears things up for me....  I called the middle handle the "Maneuvering Handle" because on U-995 there are 2 selections "Operate/Run" on the top, and "Start" at the bottom.

On a reversing engine you have; Stop, Operate/Run, Reverse, and Start.  So, The Maneuvering Handle seems to make more sense to me because it's much more than just a starting handle...  Am I wrong?

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2757 on: 10 Jun , 2015, 01:51 »
Don.
I guess it is named starting handle because it primarily operates the valves in the starting air manifold. The other positions for a direct reversible engine are required to engage or disengage the interlocks in the system to prevent major dammages. On plate 29 you see the starting system. I don`t think I would call one handle maneuvering handle as all the three handles are really handles on the maneuvering stand taking part in the maneuver.
Tore
« Last Edit: 10 Jun , 2015, 02:08 by tore »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2758 on: 10 Jun , 2015, 11:49 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

After much consideration...  I am going to go back to "Starting Handle" as the  name.

Kind regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2759 on: 10 Jun , 2015, 12:42 »
Don.
That`s what we called it.
Tore