Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 595457 times)

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #2430 on: 16 Dec , 2014, 10:47 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

On plate 13 we have valve e3 and the description below.  would that be the same as your rendition of the exhaust valve?  I have also attached a section of plate 13 which has e3 shown...

Regards,
Don_

BORDVENTIL ABGASANSCHLUSZ LUFTVERDICHTER

Hull exhaust valve, Diesel air compressor

A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2431 on: 16 Dec , 2014, 12:44 »
Don.
e3 is indeed the exhaust board valve which can not be found on the museum U 995. I assume both the exhaustpipe and the valve somehow is removed when making the public entrance door. Down below is a cross section of the Junker compressor, as you see the exhaust pipe is cut and removed a short distance from the exhaust outletport of the compressor diesel part.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2432 on: 16 Dec , 2014, 19:35 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

I guess I missed my point about the drawing I posted...  I will try again.  I cut a section from the German Plate 13.  I show a cut off of the junkers exhaust pipe as was done on U-995.  Then I point to the missing valve, and what looks to be the exhaust valve that you provided the internal working.  Is this a possibility?
There is a cooling water line from the external exhaust valve to the muffler as well....

Kind regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2433 on: 17 Dec , 2014, 00:22 »
Don.
It is a possibility, however if you look at the internal exhaustvalve casing I don`t think there is an inboard coolingwaterpipe  connection. The waterpipe from the board valvecasing to the muffler I believe is a pipebend to pass the flanges. However it is likely that the internal exhaust pipe is not cooled and the coolingwater outlet goes from the 4.compressor stage coolingwater outlet and into a cooling water jacket of the  board exhaustvalve casing as indicated on my sketch below.
 I am on my way to Africa early Thursday morning, traveling for some 12 hours so I shall be off line for a day or two. Hopefully back on the net Saturday. In the meantime I shall have time on the plane to ponder further on the arrangement.
Tore
« Last Edit: 17 Dec , 2014, 00:31 by tore »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2434 on: 18 Dec , 2014, 22:51 »
Hello Mr. Tore and Maciek,

I added some information about the TDC in the torpedo section of Skizzenbuch.  I didn't want to go into great detail, just a view from 20,000 feet as they say.  Please let me know if anything is not correct, or if I missed a vital part.  I did this without adding any additional pages.  The latest version of skizzenbuch is in dropbox...

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #2435 on: 19 Dec , 2014, 04:56 »
Hi Gentlemen,

in the topic of the Schnorchel - on the web page http://www.uboatarchive.net, few days ago
the KTB from U 480 second war patrol was published. In the end of the document, there are
gathered experiences from the Schnorcheling routine. It is really interesting reading.
http://uboatarchive.net/KTB480-2.htm

--
Regards
Maciek

PS. U 480 was fitted with Alberich cover.

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2436 on: 19 Dec , 2014, 17:59 »
Merry Christmas to all and a great new year 2015... :)

My Christmas decoration is a small LED lit tree with fiber optics that changes colors.  This was placed on top of my 8 year old deskside computer that's slow, but I only type with two fingers at a time.  It works for me!
My OTW Type VIIC U-Boat is 84 inches long with a fiberglass hull, and a plate brass deck and the tower was made from sheet brass and stock brass rods.  My U-96 'Das Boot" was a two year building project for me.  I believe the actual U-96 keel was laid on 16.9.39 and was commissioned on 14.9.40; 2 days shy of a year. The Germans were more efficient in U-Boat building that me.

Enjoy the photos.
Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #2437 on: 20 Dec , 2014, 03:33 »
Hi Don,

Thanks for posting pictures. Love the boat. Not surprised it took you two years. I have a second hand OTW VIIC to build so looking forward to that. The tower looks challenging as I am sure you will remember.
I finished off a OTW Vanguard and had it sailing this year. Do you get to sail your boat often?
I liked your SubCommittee articles, on your boat and if I remember you did one on the ballast system too.
Cheers,

Dougie

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2438 on: 20 Dec , 2014, 11:12 »
Don.
You must have a very understanding wife allowing this size of a VIIC model in your sittingroom. I had to fight getting my modest KNM Kaura ex U 995 with painting, my naval sword and the crew photo on my little navy corner.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2439 on: 20 Dec , 2014, 13:20 »
Maciek.
A very interesting KTB of the U 480 warpatrol during the time of the invasion as well as from the long schnorcheling . It is astonishing to learn how often they put the boat at rest at the bottom and how they eventually got rid of the garbage. We never laid at the bottom but used the torpedotube for getting rid of the garbage until the plasticbag once bursted. After that the torpedo people  denied to use that procedure.
Tore.
« Last Edit: 20 Dec , 2014, 14:30 by tore »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2440 on: 20 Dec , 2014, 13:49 »

Hello Mr. Tore and All,

My U-96 is actually in the up-stairs loft area along with my computer and flat screen TV - sort of a man cave with all my other collections and my library case of books.

Dougie, I have learned a lot in the past year about U-Boats from Mr. Tore, and I would NOT put too much faith in those past Subcommittee SCR articles.  My knowledge back then came from what little I could find in books and on internet.  I discovered early on that even some of the German sites has bad information!

I wish I had finished my OTW U-96 with a WTC, but it's been a display model for the past 10 years (my how time flies!).  I can't pry the hull apart to install the OTW wtc like Jeffrey LaRue does with his model of U-552 because I built the hull with a few internal ribs to get the hull shape correct.  I guess I could cut the aft section off like is done with the Engel type VIIC model.

It's OK for now...  I have two official photos from the French Naval Museum of the Brest U-Boat Pen taken after it was liberated by the US Blue and Grey Division framed above my U-96, and a piece of concrete from the Pen when it was bombed by the RAF during WWII in a Gold Shadow Box.  I guess like U-995, my U-96 has become a museum boat...

Kind Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2441 on: 21 Dec , 2014, 22:06 »
Hello Mr Tore(?) and Maciek.

Mr Tore, my wife Maureen said I was to call you "Your Excellency" since you are the Ambassador for Norway to 9 states in Africa.  She is very familiar with the correct state protocols because before she married me 22 years ago; she was the secretary to the Moroccan Ambassador in Jakarta, Indonesia. Apparently, this Chinese lady lowered her standards to marry an older (14 years) American computer engineer.

Maciek, thank you for the information on the TDC.  I updated Skizzenbuch and the latest version is in dropbox.  I updated pages 367 and 375 that had some wrong information about charging the batteries.  I hope I got it right this time.

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2442 on: 22 Dec , 2014, 02:20 »
Don.
I don't`think I deserve that title, but here I am called the Father of Her Excellency, which implies some benefits. Realising you are married to a Chinese, I can mention I worked with the China mainland Shipyards for some 10 years and over there I was called Nie Ha. Nevertheless I prefer my VIIC title, the Chief.
Approaching the season I would like to send all my friends on this thread greetings from a Norwegian, spending his Xmas in rather unusual environment, under tropical condition almost on the equator in Central West Africa.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2443 on: 22 Dec , 2014, 14:28 »
Mark.
Your question on the location of the magnet compass projector.
 Down below is an image of the compass projector in the control room just above the helmsmans position. The red circle indicates the missing removable Anschutz gyro repeater.
The other image shows the two different magnet compass casing executions on the casing deck up front of the conningtower casing.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2444 on: 01 Jan , 2015, 20:03 »
Hello Mr. Tore and Maciek,

First of all, I want to wish all a great and prosperous New Year 2015!  I have been working on Skizzenbuch for over a year and I have come to the conclusion that most of the words were written by Mr. Tore or Maciek.  I just happen to be a editor who has assembled everything with graphics into Skizzenbuch that looks good to me.  Skizzenbuch was an original project for me to learn how the Type VIIC U-Boat worked and to have a printable document for my own personal library.  What happens now - we shall see?

I have uploaded the latest version of Skizzenbuch into dropbox with updated documentation to the "Torpedo Section."

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 01 Jan , 2015, 20:06 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD