Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 590837 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #1515 on: 11 Aug , 2013, 01:53 »
U 995
Of the VIICs surviving the Deadlight perhaps U995 is the most known. What might not be known is her last warpatrol. She was station in Narvik for operation against the convoys  in the Barents Sea. Feb. 45 She left for her last patrol (8. Unternehmung) under the commanding officer Hans Georg Hess being 21 years, the youngest CO of a submarine ever in WW2. At this time the Germans had withdrawn from the the Norwegian northern county  Finmark which was temporary occupied by the Soviet. In the Norwegian harbour of Kirkenes Hess discovered a Norwegian freighter estimated 6000 g.ts. (Idefjord) discharging cargo and he decided to attack. They were using tubes 1 and 3 which were loaded with FAT-2-Typ T IIIa ( Geleitzug) torpedoes. Hess observed two detonation and left a 3. shot to his No 1 Schroeder observing a 3rd hit. They reported the freighter sunk and Hess was awarded the Ritterkreutz over the radio. She fled the area hunted by the Norwegian corvette H. Nor.MS Eglantine. During the hunt Hess decided to fire the two last torpedoes, one bow and the aft at Eglantine, but at the crucial moment during the aiming, the Leitende Ing. Rudolph Wellnitz responsible for the trim and hydroplanes, dipped the boat and the periscope was submerged. Wellnitz was totally against  Hess about this attack so he dipped the boat. U 995 returned to Trondheim for retrofitting and Schnorchel installation where she still was at the surrender. Wellnitz, who possibly would get a death sentence, was not reported by Hess. Probably because he realized in aftermath that U 995 was saved due to this. Hess later became a lawyer and Dr. and took part in the restoration of the U-995 in Kiel. He died in 2008. The Norwegian freighter Idefjord did not get a hit and left later the harbour undamaged. The COs got probably the Ritterkreutz a bit more easy in the last months of WW2 . That`s the last warpatrol of U-995.
Tore
« Last Edit: 12 Aug , 2013, 05:33 by tore »

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #1516 on: 11 Aug , 2013, 05:04 »
Tore these are great pieces of information!!Thanks for sharing!!
So the torpedoes missed Idefjord. Any information about what they really hit or about the damage they caused?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1517 on: 11 Aug , 2013, 06:13 »
SG
There are a lot of discussion about where the torpedoes ended some search the near about rocks but no traces of a hit. A double short torpedonet (ex. German) was between Idefjord and U 995 but I understand experts said the torpedo would not detonate in the net. The only thing which is sure is that SS Idefjord left the harbour unharmed and Hess got his Ritterkreutz.
Tore 

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1518 on: 13 Aug , 2013, 08:32 »
U 995- at the end of the war.
A Norwegian enthusiast and hobby historian Otto H.Naesgard Andersen has written a couple of booklets dealing with the U 995 history during and after the WW2. " The torpedoattack on SS Idefjord" and " KNM Kaura ex.U 995 from Kriegsmarine via the Royal Norwegian Navy to museumboat". Unfortunately the publications, which are indeed very detailed, are in the Norwegian language but with the authors permission I am able to share some of the materials. Below I am posting two pictures of the U 995 crew at the commission Sept. 16 1943 and the last parole at the surrender May 1945 in Trondheim. As the author remarks you are able to see the crews relief having survived the war on the last picture.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1519 on: 14 Aug , 2013, 00:51 »
U 995 and the last warpatrol, attack on SS Idefjord.
Otto H. Naesgard Andersen gives a detailed description of the attack in his booklet. U 995 CO Hans Georg Hess called in his officers upon the sight of SSIdefjord in the Soviet controlled Norwegian harbour of Kirkenes and inspired by Guenter Priens Scapa Flow attack he said: "Meine herren, was halten Sie von einem Ueberraschungsangriff a la Scapa Flow?" in free translation: "Gentlemen what do you think about a surprise attack a la Scapa Flow?" They decided to attack February 8Th. and at night 0300 in silent mode put the boat on the sea bottom just outside a Soviet signalstation on the island of Rein
« Last Edit: 21 Aug , 2013, 08:05 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1520 on: 15 Aug , 2013, 02:16 »
2.ND sinking of SS Idefjord.U 997
The story of Idefjord is very special. April 22ND. 1945 SS Idefjord was again on her way to Murmansk to join Convoy RA 66 back to Scotland. In the morning she was spotted by Oberleutnant Hans Lehmann CO of U 997 sistervessel of U 995. First torpedo missed and hit a soviet freighter "Onega" which sunk in a couple of minute, a second shot hit Idefjord fwd. port side, she did not sink and was towed to Murmansk. This convoy was again protected by the Norwegian corvet Eglantine and 4 minesweepers.
U 997 returned to Narvik and was due for fitting of Schnorchel exactly as U 995. Hans Lehmann got his Ritterkreutz as the last U boat CO as late as May 8Th. 1945.
Thus Idefjord contributed twice to Ritterkreutz award. Source: Otto H. Naesgard Andersen.
Tore
« Last Edit: 15 Aug , 2013, 02:17 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1521 on: 15 Aug , 2013, 23:24 »
U 995 and Idefjord epilogue.
As a finishing touch of this incident Otto H. Naesgard Andersen mention in his booklet autumn 1992 a Norwegian group of veteran naval gunners made a trip to U 995 at Laboe. Amongst these veterans was Bard Haugland a gunner on board the naval cutter Njal laying alongside Idefjord at the time of the attack and thus barely escaped sinking. They were met by Dr. Hans Georg Hess, the last German CO of  U 995, who acted as a guide on board. There was some mixed feeling in the beginning but in the end the meeting became very amicable. At that time a few photos were taken and I am posting below a  unique photo of Hess at the U 995 periscope in 1992 and a photo of Hess as a CO of U 995 at the bridge  ( source: Otto H Naesgard Andersen). 
« Last Edit: 19 Aug , 2013, 13:29 by tore »

Offline SG

• Admiral
« Reply #1522 on: 18 Aug , 2013, 04:53 »
 :)    :)    :)  ! ! !

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1523 on: 24 Sep , 2013, 11:42 »
Alberich.
An interesting question was raised by falo to Simon if the pressurehull was covered by the Alberich rubber assuming the wooden casingdeck did not to be covered. My Asdic knowledge has become a bit rusty since my Asdic training course, but I guess the WW2 Asdic was based on the piezoelectro effect of quartzcrystal which then was transmitting acoustic pulses which were reflected by any object on its way. The sound "ping" was made audible to the human ear by mixing the frequencies in the Asdicset.
I am by no means  an expert on the Albricht design, but I guess the pressurehull of a sub. is not the only surface which reflects the "ping",  every surface like the pressure hull, casing, casing deck and tower would give a reflection. I should presume in order to have a sound reflectiondamping like the Alberich synthetic rubber layer, you should encase the whole sub. hence having Alberich cover on the surface encasing the sub.
Having looked at photos of the U-480 you can indeed see the she is covered by Alberich layer  on the visible outer surfaces like pressurehull, casing and deck. The Asdic acoustic "pings" would be reflected by wood, thin steelplates (casing) as well as thick steelplates(pressurehull). Those parts like pipes, ducts, vents, valves and pressurehull inside the casing would be protected by the Alberich covered casing and deck.
At last, the Asdic reflection were very often disturbed by variation in the seawater salinity, temperatures etc. The submarines made use of this by launching a bubble decoy filled with magnesium pellets which reacted with the seawater creating  bubbles giving a sonar reflection like a submarine.
Again I am not an expert on this item so just take it as an airing of my view.
Tore
« Last Edit: 25 Sep , 2013, 04:19 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1524 on: 29 Sep , 2013, 13:22 »
U 995 KNM Kaura
During the last couple of weeks I have been busy trying to paint a correct picture of the Norwegian version of U 995, KNM Kaura. The intention of the picture is to show her as a frontline submarine in the 1953 execution when I was the engineering officer on board. She is on her way to the Barents sea pitching in a stiff northerly breeze crossing the Vestfjord well above the Artic circle and meeting the old express steamer SS Finmark going south.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1525 on: 29 Sep , 2013, 13:32 »
Tore, that fantastic!!!!!!!

Are you up on deck, or down below, hard at work?  ;)

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1526 on: 29 Sep , 2013, 14:26 »
I am probably down below in my pink pyjamas

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1527 on: 29 Sep , 2013, 14:32 »
Standard Norwegian navy issue  ;D ;D

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1528 on: 29 Sep , 2013, 14:49 »
Sure, I was wearing my old greasy navy cap as well. ;D ;D

Offline SG

• Admiral
« Reply #1529 on: 01 Oct , 2013, 11:20 »
Tore, congrats for the outfit  ;D .. and for the great artwork!