Author Topic: My U-69  (Read 56040 times)

bracco_n

Re: My U-69
« Reply #135 on: 02 Dec , 2010, 07:53 »
Pat, could we see some photos of your work on U-711?

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #136 on: 02 Dec , 2010, 21:30 »
I'd love to but I don't have a digital camera.  Just a cell phone and so I can't take pictures from close enough to show much detail.

What I have at the moment you could tell that I'm building the deck framework from scratch, but on the planked sections, it's hard to tell that they're all separate pieces of wood.  And from 4 feet away (about the focal length of the phone), you can't seen all the detail that's gone into the 37mm (the one that I have finished so far).

I can take a pic and put it on, but not sure if it's worth it.

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #137 on: 02 Dec , 2010, 21:55 »
Rat llines do suck, but had fun on the Sultana.  Most likely because it was a hell of a lot smaller to start with.  I have a started POF hull section started as well, ran into some tool issues.  I have 2 garages and a 14' trailer full of tools....you think I would have a scroll saw!!! ::)  I have a full set of plans for 66 gun Treh Hierarhov (below).  Started some light cad stuff to get keel joints with it and set it aside.  POF would be great with this one, show the futtocks, tree nailing and such.  Need the scroll saw and a micro lathe for this one. ;D

Cheers!

Yeah, ratlines are a pain, but they're actually the impetus that taught me how to sail a real boat.  I wanted to make the ratlines accurate, so I learned which knots they use on the real thing.  That lead to wanting to know the correct knots everywhere else, and then how all the sails worked until eventually, I thought I knew enough to sail a real boat.  So I rented one and found out that I had learned how to sail by building models.

That Treh Hierarhov looks really nice.  Russian?  It looks Baltic and about mid to late 18th century and hard to tell without colour, but the flags look like Imperial Russia, blue on white.

TRM

« Reply #138 on: 03 Dec , 2010, 04:26 »
Yes, Blue on White.  Crimean war.  Just found a nice version.  The only thing that may be different, most of the painting I have seen of her from the period, she has more color. Black on White with blue and gold accents.

Think I need a couple of more smaller ones.....Rattle Snake, Begiman Latham......before I give her a shot. :P
« Last Edit: 03 Dec , 2010, 04:28 by TRM »

TRM

« Reply #139 on: 03 Dec , 2010, 04:37 »
HA HA AH, just realized why I had not seen this one before.....she is the 106 gun not the 66 gun.  MMmmmmm, still nice.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #140 on: 03 Dec , 2010, 13:22 »
Hi TRM

I only just found another missing hatch at the stern. It

TRM

« Reply #141 on: 03 Dec , 2010, 21:09 »
Nice find Simon!  I will have to give it a shot tomorrow.  Been working on finishing up "inside" and preping for deck installation.  Pics maybe tomorrow too!

Thanks!

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #142 on: 04 Dec , 2010, 01:01 »
square rig guys - if you need sails, AMP flag cloth can do the trick - holds shape and is sealed...plus flags of course [shameless plug]
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #143 on: 04 Dec , 2010, 06:51 »
Yes, the flag cloth IS very good!  It's actually very similar to real sailcloth (betcha didn't know that real sails for that stiff!).

Do you sell it by the yard?

TRM

« Reply #144 on: 04 Dec , 2010, 07:30 »
Thanks Wink!  Let us know about the cloth!!  I will be ordering the flags for the U-69 when the time comes. Certainly interested in sail material!

THANKS PAT!!!!!!  Found myself wasting an hour yesterday looking up sets of plans.  Tracking down something a bit small than the Trek.  Having a need to work the wood and all that rigging! ;D

Now an update...

Interior framing set

Put down some 1mm thick strips to pad up for the deck. 

Placed a support where the decking pieces come together

Modifying parts

Warning!!!! This is my feeble attempt to fill some of the "void" under the deck.  I did not want to go overboard, soooooooo, I made some piping, loosely based......very loosely based one one of Simon's drawingstill need to connect the exhaust ends to the mufflers....be kind, most , if not all is barley seen.  Just trying to add some definition. ::)  (no Laughing) 

Removed hatches from original kit and doug-in

Going with the Modelbrass hatch with this one.  The eduard doesn't match, at lest in the one picture I have of the U-69 deck in this spot.

Need to add something to the edge on one side, seems to be a larger "bulging" rounded edge than the PE

Modelbrass part

Eduard Part

More to come....

Cheers!

bracco_n

« Reply #145 on: 04 Dec , 2010, 08:11 »
Very nice and neat build!

LE BOSCO

« Reply #146 on: 04 Dec , 2010, 12:20 »
Hi TRM

Impressive work you made us my friend!
I can not wait to see more!!
amiti

Offline FoxbaT

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #147 on: 04 Dec , 2010, 16:17 »
Nice work..

Karel

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #148 on: 04 Dec , 2010, 17:56 »
great piping and deckwork, it's just right, nothing feeble about i!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

TRM

« Reply #149 on: 04 Dec , 2010, 18:19 »
Thanks Guys, much appreciated! :D

Couple of more...

Started cutting hatches to add the Eduard PE

Started putting them back too.  Added a wire handle....please correct me if this is wrong.

Finally, started the rounded hatch(really need to look up what hatch this is....so I can stop calling it "the rounded hatch")  Removed the hatch that is standard on the Modelbrass deck.  Adding the supplied replacement seemed to make it too layered.  Trying to correct the rounded lip as well.

If I can figure out how to attach the mufflers to the tailpipe ??? ??? ??? I would love to prime the innards (PH) tomorrow maybe! ::)

Cheers!